Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Bumble, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I have a lot of ideas for my 4th grade class, but it requires a lot of materials. I read in "Teaching Outside the Box" that some new teachers have "new teacher showers". BTW, this book is awesome! I can't put it down. I will be teaching at an urban-title 1 school and I expect that nothing will be in my classroom. I want my students to have what suburban schools have, but I can't afford to do this. I was thinking of having a bbq/picnic and inviting my friends and relatives. I will ask guests to donate classroom materials and furniture. Has anyone done this before? Is it too much to ask? The materials will go to the children, not me. I could even get the kids to write thank you notes.

Thanks in advance!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

That sounds like an awesome idea! I have not done this before, but I also think it's not too much to ask.

4. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Ohh, I love this idea. If you do this please let us know how it goes. I finish my student teaching in Fall and will be trying to furnish a classroom after that. It's expensive!!!

5. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Bumble,

Right before I began my first year of teaching, one of my mom's best friends threw me a "Teacher Shower". She was a former teacher herself and couldn't wait to do it. She invited family and close friends to the school themed shower. The invitations were brown paper bags with apples in them. All of the information was on a card that was tied to the apple. To close the bag she put two hole punches at the top and put a #2 pencil through them.

It was absolutely the best! I received so many useful things for my classroom. It was a great way to start off my teaching career. I can't wait to throw a "Teacher Shower" for someone in the future!

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Linzer, I love the invites. What a cute idea! I'll keep you all posted.