Fundations Phonics Program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by smalagreca, Nov 10, 2009.

1. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Nov 10, 2009

Hi all! I'm looking for some feedback on Fundations by Wilson. If you are using it, what grade are you using it for and have you found it to be successful? I would love to hear from people on each grade level from k-2.
    I have some mixed feelings on the program. My one big gripe on the K level i sthat childrn memorize the Fundation Alphabet but they dont synthesize and apply it to their writing. Its all rote.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

While I myself am basically unfamiliar with Fundations, I use Wilson for my 4th grade sp ed class. My colleague uses Fundations and has told me about using it with quite a bit of success.

She has the K-3 sp ed kids. I haven't heard her say anything specific about the K level. She has found a higher level of retention (like when her 2nd graders came in, they retained much of the material from 1st grade) which is a tremendous success.

I've found that there are a lot of things at the higher level that are rote. It involves a lot of repetition to make it work. Have you ever had any formal training with this program? There is a website (subscription) that has tons of resources for the older program and there's one available for Fundations as well.

4. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Nov 11, 2009

Yes I have been trained and am in fact the instructional leader for all of ELA. My teachers are having mixed feelings about it. Being in its first year I am hoping that everything falls into place as the year progresses.
    I'm finding the higher children are not being challenged with the program and my lower children are strictly memorizing the letter-keyword-sound.
    overall i must say, i do like the program and i think it will bring great success

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 11, 2009

We use it for teaching letter formation more than phonics in K. We use Treasures as our main reading/phonics program. The first grade teachers do say that penmanship has never been better. We didn't order the student workbooks this year as there really isn't much to them in K.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 11, 2009

When I student taught Kinder we used Fundations and I liked it. The letters are introduced logically and the activities that go with the program seemed to work well. This was a low-income school and most kids came in knowing very little. Some couldn't spell their names and at least a quarter couldn't recognize more than half the letters of the alphabet. They made huge strides by the time I left in December. I would definitely recommend it.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 11, 2009

Oh, and I like how each letter has a word that goes with the sound, "A apple a, B bat /b/, c cat /c/" and so on. It really helped the kids remember the letter sounds.