Fund Raising ideas!!??

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by angeluv73, Aug 14, 2007.

1. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I teach middle school AVID and we need to raise money for field trips. This school is very LOW socio economic. Any great fund raising ideas???:hugs:

3. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Ah fundraising . . . the ban of all teachers. I need to fundraise every year for my grade 8 trip, and I sometimes wish that everyone could just put money into a pot and be done with it. I teach in a very small school (grade 1 - 8 is less then 100 students) in a rural community . . . Here are some things that I have done before with moderate success.

- Bottle drive after Christmas.
    - Cake auction during the Christmas play
    - Silent auction (prizes donated by parents)
    - Bazaar
    - BBQ (this one is by far the best one)
    - Pay as you pull

Whatever you do, I would suggest trying to avoid door-to-door as much as possible. The kids hate it, and people in the community may feel pressured if they don't have a lot of money.

Something I would like to try this year is a murder-mystery supper, though that may take too much time organizing.

Does anyone else have ideas? I'll be watching this thread closely to help me out too!!!

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

Check with local stores-like Walmart. In our area they will let you sell outside of their store, and will match you dollar for dollar up to a certain amount. Our school sold Krispy Kreme donuts and made quite a bit.

How about helping fellow teachers for a fee? They could take down BB's, clean out cabinets, etc....the things that are hard to find time for! I know I would LOVE to help out a fund raiser that way! If you don't need it until after the winter break-that is when I usually go into my room to change it up/clean out some things!

5. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

What is a bottle drive?
    What is Pay as u pull?
    Thank u!

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

A bottle drive is when you go door-to-door, collecting empty pop bottles (though it just occured to me . . . you likely have all canned pop - I don't know if you return them for a fee? We get something like 10 cents a bottle here.)

A pay-as-you pull is a sheet, divided into 100 squares. These squares turn into tickets - you write names and phone numbers here. You then tape a small piece of paper to each square, with prices ranging from 1cent to 99 cents (throw in some free's too, to make life interesting). This will be the price of the person's ticket - though they won't know that until they pull the tape off. You can either have parents donate prizes, or last year, I bought some gas coupons with our earnings to use as the prize. I find the fewer times you have to ask for donations, the easier things seem to run.

The above person's post just reminded me of another idea -- sometimes you can go into grocery stores and do bagging. I think I may try it this year.

7. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Last year to promote physical fitness, my district and a neighboring business made a deal. Trampolines [five] were bought and set up inside the gym. For every jump a student took, 1 cent was raised. The maximum amount each student could raise was five dollars. We ended up raising $1,291!!