Functional Goals for Math

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Sep 29, 2009.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2009

Hi All,

I am writing an IEP and I am REALLY interested in putting functional math goals for this student.

So far I have:

Functional Math Skills
    Objective: XXX will be able to read a bus schedule and determine the next available bus on a given route (i.e. It is 2:00 and the next bus comes at 2:20, he would need to select that time rather than the 3:00 bus).
    Objective: XXX will select the correct time and stop for given scenarios of trips/activities presented to him when given a bus schedule.
    Time Telling Skills
    Objective: XXX will be able to tell time to the quarter hour using a digital or analog clock.
    Objective: XXX will be able to tell time to the minute using a digital or analog clock.
    Objective: XXX will be able to tell time to the five minutes using a digital or analog clock.
    Money Skills
    Objective: XXX will be able to count coins up to $1.00 (using only one type of coin, i.e. all nickels or all quarters).
    Objective: XXX will be able to count coins up to $1.00 (using various coin combinations).
    Objective: XXX will be able to use a calculator to add up the total of up to ten items on a grocery or shopping list.
    Objective: XXX will be able to choose a single item from a menu, state or write the price, and choose the appropriate money from his wallet to pay for it.
    Objective: XXX will be able to count money up to $20.00 (using all bills).
    Objective: XXX will be able to count money up to $20.00 (using bills and coins).
    Objective: XXX will be able to determine whether or not he has enough money to purchase an item.

I have vocational goals in a separate section. Can you think of any other "imperative" skills that a child should have? This is my first year in middle school and I really want to focus on functional. They are exposed to the regular ed curriculum to the greatest extent possible. This particular student functions on a 1st/2nd grade level.

Any thoughts?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2009

I have no special ed background, and have no idea of the level of disability, but here goes anyway...

How about something to do with temperature-- the ability to know how to dress for temps in the 20's as opposed to temps in the 70's??

The ability to differentiate between periods of time... to know that a "5 hour ride" means a long ride, probably with a bathroom break, and a "10 minute ride" means a quick trip to town.

Phone useage-- the ability to call 911, and to phone home.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2009

I like the temperature one! Such as, matching the boy in the jacket with the cooler temperature and the boy in the shorts with the warmer temperature. That's a good one!

He can already do his phone number and 9-1-1. Good thoughts though!

I'm not sure how the time one would work out... But I can look into it!!

Thanks!

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2009

On clocks - will it be 100% of the time?

Who will test it?

When will it be tested?

6. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

Following a recipe, including correct measurements and oven temperature settings? Or setting a microwave for the amount of time that the directions call for?