fun with graphing?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Nov 8, 2006.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2006

help....I want to make graphing more fun and hands on......I feel like I am in a rut....I make the same graphs year after year (names, leaves, favorite colors, games etc....)
    I love to bring literacy to math (hate math....LOVe literacy!) :p

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2006

Have them put a picture of what the weather is on the calendar for the entire month. Then at the end of the month, graph how many days it was sunny, cloudy, etc.

Graph how many teeth they have lost.

Brainstorm a reward activity. Pick 3 reasonable ones. Then vote and graph.

Graph what kind of pets each kid has. (This means 1 kid can have multiple answers so the total can be larger than the total number of kids in the class).

HEHEEHE....Vote on everyone's favorite subject (reading, writing, math, social studies) then have a day where you agree to teach only that subject all day.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 8, 2006

Amaryllis bulb. Measure it each day. Guess how many flowers it will have. Buy a towel stick to help support the flower because it will get about thirty inches tall. They grow a couple inches everyday. And the flower is beautiful when it blooms.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2006

thanks for the ideas....we do a weather graph each day.....and the flower one sounds like a good idea for spring when we do our planting unit.....

a favorite subject.....lets hope they pick the subject I would like to teach alllll day!!!

Keep the ideas coming!! :)

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 8, 2006

Amaryllis bloom around Christmas. It is a Christmas flower. You buy them in stores right now.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2006

oh!! hehe...shows what i know about plants!!

8. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

You could graph m&ms, gummy bears, cereals with different shapes or colors.

We are allowed to give out candy if it is part of a lesson.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2006

I was thinking of doing that with apples....taste test...but I know they do that in K .....gummie bears might work....

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 8, 2006

"HEHEEHE....Vote on everyone's favorite subject (reading, writing, math, social studies) then have a day where you agree to teach only that subject all day."

I like that idea! Hmmm.

So far we have graphed fruit snacks from Wal Mart (the smiley kind!), we graphed Dem Bones. I tell them we are going to "eat math" and they go crazy for it. MISS KIRBY! ARE WE GOING TO EAT MATH TODAY??? Hahaha.

11. danic

danic Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

don't know how old your kids are... but my 4th graders liked making up their own questions after I modeled some examples.

12. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Nov 8, 2006

Do some graphing around Thanksgiving foods - favorite kind of pie, favorite side dish, do you prefer turkey or roast beef for dinner, etc. Have the kids take surveys at home, or of each other, so they're more involved in gathering the data. Also, have you tried glyphs? Not graphing but a different kind of visual representation of information that my 2nd graders always love, and it turns into a combo math and art assignment. Scholastic has a couple of good holiday glyph books, or I sometimes just come up with my own.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 9, 2006

We plot the temperature every day on a line graph. At the end of the month you could use the info to make bar graphs or circle graphs.

14. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 9, 2006

I have done graphs with m&ms, skittles, valentines hearts, & smarties. The kids enjoy it because they get to eat them when their done, and everyone's graph is different. Our K classes did one with their fav. veggie (given an option of 3 and picked their fav.), our DD class did one where they did a taste test of 3 different apples (red, yellow and green) then made the graph with their favorites......Between all of us 5th grade teachers we've had the students do (and they choose some): their favorite sport, sports teams, thing to hunt (i'm in the country!!), color, subject, season, tv show......Lots of things....Food seems to be a favorite though ;)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2006

To go off of yours going somewhere/staying home.

My kids loved it when they were part of the graph all the blondes, brown, red heads. We lined up & counted ourselves.

When it was fair time we discussed our favorite foods and came up with 4 or 5 different ones. I had the kids color & then we graphed them.

You could use graphs to predict.. I don't know where your located snow on Turkey day or closer to Xmas snow then or will the weather be nice or rainy.

16. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

One of the teachers at my school did a graph on Taste Testing 50 healthy snacks thorugh out the year, she posterized the graph and displayed it the hallway. if the student liked the snack they put a sticker next to thier name and if they didn't, they would write the word No. It was an on going project. It looked really neat

just an idea:rolleyes:

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 9, 2006

Our students SURVEYED all the grades and asked them what their favorite icecream was (3 choices). We sent 2 students to each grade and wrote down their survey answers (teachers helped). Then they came back and made a graph for each grade and for the entire elementary.

I love the healthy snacks idea! Our cafeteria provides snacks so that would be useful data for them.

18. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Nov 9, 2006

I use a shower curtain that is marked off with tape to teach graphing. It is a very large visual that the students can manipulate.

19. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

At Halloween time we do "M & M Math" where they graph M & M's. On Valentine's Day, each student brings in a box of Valentine Hearts and we answer questions and graph those.

With our math series, we do a lot of graphing:

birthdays
    favorite foods
    ways to get to school
    favorite colors
    height and arm span
    (there's more that I just can't think of right now)

20. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

We just did this today to review vocabulary--my students each received a graph term on a card and then had to stand on the appropriate place of the graph. They loved it, and they are really retaining the vocabulary!

21. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Nov 10, 2006

if you look online, you can find everyday graph questions. Canteach has a great list. I use graphs everyday. I use it for attendance. The students each have a magnet with their name on it and I write a question on the board and when they come in they stick their magnet in the appropriate column, circle, etc. During math we look at the graph, and I ask them what they can say about the graph. We talk about fractions, less, more, comparisons, lots of great math language and it usually only takes 5 min at the most! The kids love answering the question because they find out the things they have in common. Hope this helps

Link to questions
    http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/numbers13.html

22. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Nov 11, 2006

Here's a book on graphing my kids loved...
    Tiger Math: Learning to Graph from a Baby Tiger

Its available on Amazon for $6.95.