Fun with Grammar

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MissAmy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I am trying to come up with some hands-on fun ways to teach grammar!

(parts of speech, types of sentences, etc..)

Does anyone have any ideas??

One thing I plan on doing is creating class posters of students demonstrating the parts of speech using my digital camera. They must somehow demonstrate each part of speech in a photograph. This would get them thinking about the parts of speech and maybe they would remember since they would be in the pictures.

For example, for nouns, the students could be pointing to different kinds of nouns??

Any ideas are welcome!

3. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 22, 2008

Something I did with my students was have them draw a picture to go along with what we are learning (it was direct objects). They created a sentence based on the mini lesson, drew a picture based on the sentence, and underlined the subject, verb, and direct object. Then they could be posted on the walls :)

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I know of a 5th grade teacher who had her students do power points of the parts of speech, but I don't remember exactly how she had them set up. I know they had one slide explaining, one slide giving examples and at least one more for each part of speech, but I can't remember.

5. teachpositive

teachpositive Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I use lots of games from resource books I've collected. I also like activities where students move around the classroom (say to connect subjects and predicates or find someone with the appropriate preposition for their sentence). A colleague had her students act out prepositions (getting "under" their desks, walking "around" their desks, etc) during a lesson introduction. I usually have students select action verb cards from a bag and act them out each year as well (usually in groups who then select one to share with the whole class). Words like saunter and sneak are fun! I'm not a fan of the "drill" aspects of grammar (a bit ADD maybe), so I use many games, songs, drawing activities. Although not hands-on, my students LOVE the pendemonium videos from United Streaming as an introduction or review.

6. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I typically read books by Brian P. Cleary, like Hairy, Scary, Ordinary:What is an Adjective? They might be a bit simplistic, but I find that my students really don't know that much about grammar and identifying parts of speech. It also gives multiple examples of that particular part of speech. Also, after reviewing those, we do those Mad Libs; those are fun ways to teach parts of grammar and the kids get a kick out of hearing some of the stories.

7. i_teach_5th

i_teach_5th Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I make file folder games...although it is tedious, it gets the job done! Go to your local teacher's store, purchase a file folder book, xerox, color, laminate then cut and there you have it. I use the file folder games in my language arts centers. My students love them. You can also use a book focusing on 4th grade concepts/skills to continue strengthening exisiting skills....let me know your thoughts.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

Why are we teaching nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in fifth? I know, I know. They don't know them like they should, but it seems like after five years, they ought to know about nouns.

I think I'm going to give a pretest on those four at the beginning of the year, and hopefully move on.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

Playing Mad Libs is a great way to review parts of speech.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

We broke up our 5th grade class into groups of 3 to 6, depending on what concepts we were teaching. Each of them got a big piece of paper that had the part of speech they were to represent. It was up to each group to come up with a word representing that part of speech, and then up to the group to decide how best to put them in order. They were given about 5 minutes. Each group then presented their sentence to the rest of the class, who decided whether the parts of speech were correct, and we wrote the sentences on sentence strips for display. They loved the idea of working together and then acting it out for the class. When it came time for a review before a test of the parts of the speech, if anyone struggled with one part we would say, "Hey, remember you were the _____ for your group's sentence".

11. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 26, 2008

teacher333 I like that idea! I will add that to the list!

Our state test has questions on parts of speech and even though the kids have learned these since first grade, they never are able to apply these skills. I find that the first month of school when I am teaching writing and telling my kiddos to add lots of adjectives and adverbs in their writing, they are just lost. They are looking at me like I have green tentacles hanging out of my head because they very rarely remember the difference between the two and it's even rarer that they are able to use different kinds of examples in their writing. It's crazy but worksheets and drill and kill do not work!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I hope to really "teach" grammar to my students this year in a way they will actually learn it instead of losing it after I stop talking about it. :)

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I guess they have a hard time remembering it because the concept itself is boring. I know there are many fun ways to teach it, but it's not something you think about after the review game is finished.

13. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Grammar? BORING?? Blasphemy!!!! :D

I use a lot of different things, one of them being a pseudo-simulation called Grammasaurs that was written by a teacher in a near-by district.

Here's a link. The kids love it & it's fairly painless if you don't like grammar. ;-)

http://www.starvoyagers.com/grammasaurs.html

Chele :)