fun ways to tell the students I'm pregnant

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ambrosegirl84, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 16, 2011

Hi,
    I am about 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, and we had our first "official" ultrasound yesterday, where we heard the heartbeat, etc. We made it public on Facebook last night, so I know I need to tell my students today or tomorrow, as it's a very small town and one student will certainly find out before the others and possibly "lord" it over them. :)

I was thinking of doing some kind of cute riddles with the kids and have them guess what it is, i.e., "I can make a person sick but I'm not an illness," "I'm such-and-such size," etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2011

How would they find out? You are friends with parents on FB? I probably wouldn't tell them just yet, you would be due in the summer right? So its not like you will have to prepare them for leaving.

Anyway, there is a picture book called my teacher is having a baby..you can read that to them.

4. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 16, 2011

We live in a really small place, and everyone knows everyone. I do have some of the board members on Facebook, and invariably, it will come up at a community event, "so I hear the teacher's pregnant," etc.--it will as I am the only teacher and there are only 2 families. Or the kids will hear it from children of my Facebook friends or something. Word travels fast, so I do need to tell them this week.

I'll check into that book, but am still looking for some little riddles or something.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2011

Oh, I see. That is a very small town! :)

It seems the book is out of print, so hopefully your library will have it. Our Teacher's Having a Baby by Eve Bunting.

What grade to you teach? Multi-age?

6. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

My sister and brother in-law gave us fortune cookies with the message inside. I thought it was a cute idea and I bet it would be fun for the kids too.:)

7. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Nov 16, 2011

Wow! Only teacher with two families? That is super small! I am 30 weeks pregnant, and personally I had a lot of fun watching my 7th grade students guess and hint at it without trying to offend me. They finally came out and straight up asked me around 20 weeks. Actually they asked a substitute because they were too embarrassed to ask me.

I would suggest waiting though, even if it does come out among the parents. I would wait until at least 12 weeks. After that, I think the book pp mentioned would be a great idea. I've heard good things about it, depending on what age you teach of course.

8. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 16, 2011

It really depends on what grade you are teaching. 8 Months is a really long time for elementary kids to understand and wait. I would wait until your belly starts getting bigger and you are showing. The kids understand that! Oh, Congratulations! :)

9. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 16, 2011

The reason I feel that I need to tell the kids right away is because of the two families. One is very socially involved and knows EVERYONE. Thus, their child is always the one to know the "hot news" first. I get disappointed when I have something to share with the kids and he's like "yeah, I knew that because my dad knows so-and-so."

The other family never goes anywhere, other than Christmas shopping once a year and perhaps a trip to relatives once or twice a year. They're always the last to know...well, anything.

Thus, everything is a competition, and guess who always wins the "I know that" contest? Yeah. So, I know my one student will find out because he goes everywhere and knows everyone, and the other three will, yet again, be left out because their parents aren't as social in the community.

Otherwise I was definitely planning to wait until about Christmas. It wasn't until I posted it and told my friends (and now random people have been asking me about it) that I realized this would probably happen.

They are ages 7-11, multi-grade.

10. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 16, 2011

Don't tell them if you are or if you are not. Let them keep guessing. That makes it fun! They will probably hear rumers, but you don't have to answer with an affirmative or negative. Just say maybe, could be, might be, ect... It would be fun to keep it as a game for the kids and to keep the game going as long as you can.

11. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 16, 2011

That's a good idea, isabunny. I don't think I'll show for a long time based on how it's gone so far and how my family has gone, but who knows--my MIL told me she hopes I get HUGE so maybe I will ;)

I have been ON the kids about washing their hands, etc., and have been far "lazier" as in not lifting things or running during PE, so they might even have it figured out already and be too afraid to ask!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2011

I like Isabunny's idea... But couldn't you just drop little hints...you know like little slip ups, but on purpose... Like man we are tired?!?!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2011

Congratulations!

I would be cautious about telling people, particularly young kids, before the end of the first trimester.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2011

Yup could be devasting for you & your class...

15. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Nov 16, 2011

It's ultimately up to you to tell or not tell....but with my oldest child I didn't tell my class until I was 6 months along. I taught kindergarten then and wasn't showing until the six month really. It was just a personal decision. I was due in July and told the kids mid April.

16. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 17, 2011

Yeah, if I wasn't worried about them finding out through the community grapevine I'd probably wait until I started showing.

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011

9 1/2 weeks is early to tell. We didn't even tell our familes that early.
    If you are worried about families finding out via gossip, maybe hold off o n posting it on FB for a while. If you have friends on there that you want to tell, just send them a private message.

That said, the book mentioned here is cute. Or what about hangman ?

18. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

I have a piano student that came to me last night and was so excited because her teacher told her 2nd grade class that she was expecting with hangman. She thought it was the greatest thing!

19. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 26, 2011

Ha ha - I do NOT recommend using this with students, but I once shared my big news with my sister in another state by emailing her a picture of a stuffed rabbit in a kleenex box "coffin" complete with headstone. She immediately got it and called me to see if she had guessed our news correctly.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2011

I don't get it?

21. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 26, 2011

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2011

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2011

You guys have never heard the phrase "the rabbit died" with respect to a pregnancy test???

The generation gap just got HUGE.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2011

Nope...you learn something new everyday!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 26, 2011

I'm just old enough to know what it meant. By the time I was a teenager, non-rabbit killing tests were quite common, if not as reliable as they are now, but I do recall aunts and female neighbors talking about it when I was little.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2011

No. I was completely confused. I was thinking rabbits...lots of little bunnies...but the casket threw me for a loop. :haha:

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 26, 2011

I discovered that phrase when I was pregnant with my youngest. I went up to my college professor and apologized for dozing off and told her that was very unlike me. She mentioned something about the rabbit. I was confused so she explained it. Turns out she was RIGHT!

28. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 27, 2011

Just so you know - I am not quite old enough to have actually made use of the illustrious "rabbit test." Thanks for the laugh, all of you young ones!!

29. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Nov 27, 2011

I've heard of the "rabbit test" because growing up (and even now) a book I enjoyed reading was I Should Have Seen it Coming When the Rabbit Died.

30. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 28, 2011

Wow! I never knew about the rabbit thing.

I ended up just sitting the kids down and telling them. I've had these kids for 5 years. They saw me the morning I found out my grandpa had died and after my cat (the "school cat") got ran over. So I would have told them anyway if something had happened.

It's very rare that anyone around here waits until 12 weeks unless there are serious complications, and most of the other gals that are due around my time had already made their announcements "public."

I think the kids were surprised. School will be done (and I done teaching) once I have the baby, but I'll probably have some kind of "meet and greet" at the school for them. :)