Fun ways to learn vocab

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Mr.G, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

So I have to teach various vocabulary terms to my 6th graders this year (as I have had to do the past few years). Last year we went over the terms and then I had my students create "graffitti" and "tattoo's" based on the terms. The idea was that the drawings they create should represent the word, without actually "saying" the word.

Welp, I'm looking for new ways to go about doing the same thing. While last years kids liked this assignment, and I thought it was fun, I need more things to add to my bag of tricks. You have keep it fresh, you know?

Any ideas? thanxz

3. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

I'll often have students act the vocab words out in pairs or threes. After they've written the definitions/sentences/whatever for their notes, give them 3-4 minutes to think about how they could act out the definition without saying the word. Then they come up in front of the class and act it out. Usually is good for quite a few laughs. They seem to like it (though they roll their eyes at first).

4. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 19, 2006

you could do a win loose or draw type game

5. wlp01969

wlp01969 New Member

Aug 19, 2006

Games to practice vocabulary

I have a couple games I use in my 7th grade math class to practice vocabulary words. They are:

"I have, who has". The first student says "who has...and reads the definition for a vocabulary word". The student that has that word says "I have ...word then says who has...and reads another definition". It should continue until all the words have been read. It takes some setup to make sure the definitions and words create a complete loop. Sometimes I time each class period and give prizes to the class that does it quickest. It creates some comraderie between students in the class.

Another fun game is vocabulary bingo. I have a 3x3 grid of squares. Students write "free" in the middle and pick from the list of vocabulary words to fill in the remaining squares. I pull out a word and read the definition for that word. Students raise their hand if they know the word. First hand I see, I call on and if they get the word correct they cover their free space. Everyone covers the word if they have it. Once you have your free space covered you help your neighbors get their free space. Prizes are given for bingo.

Hope I explained those well. My students really enjoy playing them and it's a fun way to practice vocab.

Wendy

6. Stasha Lee

Stasha Lee New Member

Aug 20, 2006

play-doh!

I had my 11th graders sculpt their vocab words from play-doh -- if the word is too abstract, say, "obliterate," I let them perform an action WITH the play-doh, say, smashing it on the ground. It's fun, an dthe kids get a visual to go along with the meaning when their classmates present on their sculptures..

=)

s

7. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

For my 7th graders (in lang/lit), after I teach them about personification, I have them turn their weekly vocab words into little people. They have to imagine what words like "antisocial" or "theocracy" would look like if they were people and then draw them. It's a lot of fun to see how they give attributes to the drawings that show the meaning of the words.

8. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I like all these ideas and am gonna use them in my science class!
    Thanx