Fun Ways to Introduce Science

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ExcitedNewbie, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ExcitedNewbie

ExcitedNewbie Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

First science lesson for 2nd grade Wednesday! Anyone have any fun and exciting ways to introduce scientific inquiry and what scientists do? I have a plan, but it could use some more oomph!

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Do you have access to any digital curriculum materials? We have access to Science Fusion that comes complete with digital lessons and interactive whiteboards. I would probably start with one of those. Something that would really spark their interest.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

My first day of science class, I usually have the kids help me create a wordle to use as their notebook cover, and I have them get together in a group to draw and label a picture of a scientist. It's not necessarily the most interesting method in the world, but it lets me see what they already know, and it's also a good way to address misconceptions.

5. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Here is an idea I have used successfully with 6th graders. I think it could easily be modified to use with littler ones. We called it "Mystery Boxes."

Essentially I put mystery items into cardboard boxes of various sizes and sealed them up. (Be generous with the packing tape!) We investigated one box as a class and brainstormed ways to figure out what was inside without opening it. We discussed how to record detailed observations, then lifted, looked at, tilted, shook, and sniffed the box to try to figure out what was inside. Then I organized the students into groups and they cycled through a bunch of boxes, trying to find out what was inside and recording observations. It was a lot of fun. I didn't reveal the box contents until two days later. We discussed how in Science you may not always get an answer right away! Lots of directions you could go with this lesson of course, but that's my idea for you.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2014

I like to launch with a simple experiment, something that might not even go with our content but where students will have a chance to go through the scientific method and do something they will find fun. This year we're doing one of my favorites- "Which potato chip is the greasiest?" Last year we made bridges with uncooked pasta and marshmallows and saw how many pennies they could hold.

7. ExcitedNewbie

ExcitedNewbie Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

Thanks everyone. I checked out Science Fusion but I do not yet have a SmartBoard available to me (installing in a few weeks). I really like the idea of starting with an experiment and going through the process. Thanks to this, I just learned what a wordle is and I'd like to try to incorporate that also. Thanks!