Fun way to teach adjectives

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mama P, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jan 6, 2010

I am looking for a fun way--or a game--to teach adjectives. I would like to find something where I can use my smartboard. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated--thanks
    * I teach 2nd grade

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2010

Not with a SmartBoard, but...how about an 'adjective fashion show'? Have the students pick an outfit from home, bring it in and write a descriptive 'fashion commentary' about it...Then invite another class in (or your students' families) for the 'fashion show'...The kids put on their clothes, walk the 'runway' (tape one off on floor), and have students read each others' commentary while each outfit is being modeled...so fun...

Here comes Susie.
    Doesn't she look ______(sporty, beautiful, colorful...)
    She is wearing a _________ (plaid, checkered, button-up) ______(shirt, blouse, tee...) with ___________ ___________ (plaid pants, short pleated skirt, designer denim jeans...). Her outfit is complemented by her _________ ___________ (flowered hat, gold flats, strappy sandals...) This is a ______ (perfect, wonderful...) outfit to wear for a _______ (sunny, active, busy...) day at _____ (the ball park, school...)

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 6, 2010

Could you have a student draw an animal (real or not) on the smartboard and then have the class describe it?

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

What about giving each student an adjective and let them take a picture of something on campus that fits that description. You can upload the pics, show them on the Smartboard and have the kids guess what the student's assigned adjective was.

6. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jan 7, 2010

7. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 7, 2010

Hey, thanks, teacherhealth! I am going to order this book to use for my elementary EFL classes!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 7, 2010

My third grader came home with a book he made that was titled "How to Take Care of a Monster" (this was around halloween). The teacher had them describe the monster and give insructions for feeding and care, and provide warnings about the possible pitfalls. The students had to use various parts of speech, to fully describe the monster and detail its care. It was really fun for the kids, and it was really creative.