Fun Topic: Funny things kids have said or done

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HorseLover, Jul 1, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jul 1, 2013

I though it would be fun to all share some of the funny things kids have done or said in class.

When I was student teaching in 3rd grade the students had a test. One section gave them some words; they had to identify the base word and then give the meaning. LOTS of the kids got confused on the base word portion and wrote the prefix/suffix instead. But one child wrote something that was quite funny, and I actually laughed.

The word was "Mistake"
    He wrote

Base word: Mis (or he may have written miss, I'm not sure)
    Meaning: A lady :lol:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

On a standardized test there was a drawing of a hexagon with the directions 'name this shape'. A colleagues student wrote: Bob.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 1, 2013

Oh my, I have so many----(I need to start writing more of these down.)

1.) A little First Grade boy came tearing into my room during recess one day. "Miss Zelda! Thank goodness! You're my only hope!"

The poor little guy had wet himself at recess and needed a change.

2.) When I was student teaching ten years ago another First Grade little boy came up to me one day and told me he wanted to tell me a secret. So, I bent down and let the kiddo whisper in my ear. He said, "I love you!"

So, when this happened again the next day, I was fully prepared for another d'awwww moment. I bent down and he whispers in my ear: "Miss Zelda, I have diarrhea." :D

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 1, 2013

1. ELD student responded to a "diagram this sentence" question on a test by drawing cartoon figures acting out the action of the sentence.

2. When they found out I wasn't returning next year because of my lengthy commute, "Ms. S, you can live in my backyard if you want and then you can stay teaching here."

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2013

I've shared these before, but they're my favorites.

Student (Zack) wanted to print a letter, and it was signed "Sack". I pointed to it and he said, "I changed it because the computer said I spelled it wrong." My aide had to leave the room. She laughed until she cried.

Female student tells me she isn't comfortable answering a question on the state science test. I tell her to do her best, which is all we are allowed to say. Later I had to look at her answer, just to see the issue. Question: Name two types of reproduction. Answer: sex & oral sex Thankfully she did not complete the "explain" part for the second part of the question.

Spelling word: armadillo
    Answer: armadildo

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

Last week, one of my first grade boys said, "Coloring is just like putting fancy clothes on the paper." I loved that one.

Another of my little boys this year was obsessed with super heroes. Once, he came up to me urgently and said "We have to save the world AGAIN!!" I asked, "Why?" and he said, "Because there are just so many bad guys!"

Once, when I announced it was time for lunch, that same little boy asked, "Is that why you're wearing your lunch pants?"

I love first grade. :wub:

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 1, 2013

My favorite story happened many years ago. A first grade friend who
    struggled with behavior,and was quite the football fan,skipped down the sidewalk to lunch, and said "this is my favorite time of day,Halftime!"

9. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 1, 2013

I had a very dramatic first grade girl tell me, "Teacher, I won't be at school tomorrow." When I asked her why she said, "I have to have my lungs removed!" Turns out lungs=tonsils in first grade!

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

When I worked with the YMCA (before teaching) I once had a student tell me:

"Know what is the most dangerous weapon in the world is?"

I thought it was going to be something like a interplanetary exploder or something...

His answer: "An untrained mind."

He was in first grade and I thought it was rather profound. Then his mom told me later he had heard it in a movie. :)

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

Our research paper topic was on Greek mythology. One portion was on the influences Ancient Greek culture has on the modern world. One young thing wrote that we can still see the influence of Ancient Greek culture today in modern architecture, such as "the Oedipus complex."

I'm kind of glad the child didn't look into that one further!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

I am chuckling now. These are so cute.

My 5 year old tutoring student asked if when you got old, did you die on your birthday?

He also asked if you had to go to college before kindergarten; he said he really, really didn't want to. His sister was nearby and told him he had to.

13. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

When I taught preschool one of my students received a grass skirt complete with coconut "bra" from her grandparents when they returned from Hawaii. She brought it in to show the class and said "I can't believe I'm wearing a bra! This means I can make my own decisions now!"

This year one of my third graders who is an ELL came up to me and said "I know who is on the five dollar bill, Hammer Ham Lincoln." This same kid would use his finger to "draw" an imaginary question mark above his head when he didn't know (or thought he didn't know) something. Haha.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I had been teaching about the Roman patron/client relationship, which is basically a quid pro quo arrangement between two people to help each other out. I had used the phrase "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" in my discussion. The next day, the bellringer activity asked students to summarize that relationship. I heard a few students talking about it before class started. One student said, "Oh, it's like that thing! You slap my butt, I slap yours!"

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

I showed my students a picture of myself from when I was in grade 1. In the picture I am wearing a dress with a large collar on the front - popular in the early 90s. One of my students asked if I had been a pioneer.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

Hahahahahahaha. Love that one. Mine liked to guess who was president when I was a child. Waaaayyyy off.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

This year, part of my assignment was K-2 PE, which I was team teaching with the main PE teacher. One of the kindergarteners at the end of the year (and coincidentally, what will likely be my very last PE class I'll ever teach...) said to me "wow... you have a big belly... you must eat a lot of breakfast and lunches!"

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I had a student who used to call me 'mom' at least 20 times a day. One day after calling me mom he asked me if he could just call me mom.:wub:

We used to eat lunch in our classrooms. One day, I brought in hummus and I got to talking about it with my assistant and a few students. I had one little guy pipe up "Hummus?! Who is this hummus? I would like to meet him!":lol:

I had a friend teaching word segmentation during one of her guided reading groups. The principal stopped by the class as she was segmenting the word "pencil" and a student responded "Elephant. All I hear is elephant." We say it all of the time during staff meeting when our principal asks us to do things.:p

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I have one student who has some self-regulation issues and maybe some mental health issues. One day he was escalating and asked me to get his thoughts out of his head. What to do? What to do?.... I blew in his ears. So now I look like a weirdo blowing in this little guy's ears (it takes at least 20 blows to get his thoughts out), but a teacher has to do what a teacher has to do.:lol:

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

I love the ear blowing story, proud!

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

This happened at summer school today as students were working in pairs:

Student #1: "Um, did you forget to brush your teeth this morning?"

Student #2: (Pausing to think for a moment) "Yeah...I overslept. I'll brush them tomorrow."

This brief conversation happened in such matter-of-fact way. I had to muster the strength to not burst into laughter.

I love their honest. It was so funny that Student #2 was not offended whatsoever.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Haha! Has this kid been reading Matched? It happens in their society!

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

:lol:

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I am literally laughing out loud at all of these. So, so funny!

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Oh man, I have one I'd love to share that I was reminded of by another post...it might "out" me, though. I'll have to see what I can share...

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I was doing a writing activity with my reading intervention group. We were trying to write the word 'this' so I was saying the sounds slowly and then asking the children in the group which letters they heard. I said 'this' a few times until finally one of the students handed me the book we were reading and said, "You should check in here. It's probably in there somewhere". I guess he figured I had no clue and he was just trying to help me out.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2013

I have several who still call me Mama or Godmom. They're juniors & seniors, and they started calling me that in 7th grade because I took care of them at school.

28. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

I use puppets when I teach second grade. A couple of them take on their own personalities and become very popular with the children. One day, I put the puppet down on a table while I worked with a student. A little girl walked by and examined it closely, then came over to be me with a triumphant expression. "I knew it wasn't really alive!" she said.

This floored me. Did they actually wonder if the puppets were real? Yes, at this age they do. I have received similar comments from other second graders over the years.

"It's not real because she's moving her mouth."

"I saw her take it off her hand and it's not moving."

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2013

This past year I had a student with some developmental delays and other issues. However he would say some of the most profound things.
    We give a standardized test 3 times a year for reading skills. One part of the test the student has to move magnetic letters around to change parts of the word. When it was time to give him this part of the test I gave him the directions. He looked me square in the face and said " Mrs. Txmom only God has the power to change words." I was actually giving the test with another teacher watching me and we both just started laughing so hard we were crying.

30. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 6, 2013

A student once came in with a gift of two slices of baked goods. I asked him if it was stolen (as in the German cake). He replied, "Oh, no ma'am. We made it ourselves!"

This from a very devout Christian 8th grader. Gotta love 'em. These are the things that make teaching fun!

Love all these entries. Thanks for the laughs.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2013

I had to look up Stollen cake. I've never heard of it, and I come from a pretty German area. Is this is a common thing where you live? I can understand your poor student's confusion!

32. bcs

bcs Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

These are fun! I taught third grade in a poverty stricken, african american neighborhood, and after halloween, one of my students was explaining how they went trick-or-treating. She said "We got to go trick-or-treating last night, and we went out to the rich, caucasian neighborhoods and we got all kinds of awesome candy! They even had garages and pools and fences and everything in those neighborhoods!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Bless her little heart! :)

33. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2013

Once I told a student to stop doing something while my back was to him. The kids were asking how I knew who it was when one kid said, "You know she has eyes in the back of her head." Then another kid said, "Yeah, under all that hair!" (I have long, curly hair.) Everyone in the room just started laughing!

34. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 8, 2013

Sorry, it is actually Stollen Bread - there are different types. The one I had this Christmas had a filling. The ones I'm more familiar with are more like hot cross buns but a bit drier.

35. SunnyTB

SunnyTB Rookie

Jul 8, 2013

These are so cute.

My school has a daycare in the education building (this is where we do our six month intern before we intern in a school) and they have the bulletin boards in the hall filled with the students' work.

I stopped to look at their projects and one had me in stitches, it was so funny.
    The topic was "What I want to be when I grow up." The kids drew pictures and the teachers wrote what the children said what they wanted to be. There were the traditional ones like teacher, doctor, policeman, etc. But there was this one, the drawing was a squiggly blue animal and the caption was, "I want to be a blue horse."

I sat in the hallway and laughed for the longest time. So cute.