Fun Songs/Games

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 8, 2006

What are your favorite songs, fingerplays, and short educational group games that you use with your class? I would prefer ideas that don't require buying CDs. I already have the Dr. Jean CD, which is great, but without that CD I only know a few songs and games.

Thanks!

3. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

Hi! I'm not familiar with the Dr. Jean CD...but I've done a few song and dance combinations to "Down By the Bay" (make up a dance), "Five Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree..." (do the hand motions- they love it!) An activity they love is having a parade. If you dont have musical instruments, you can make paper plate tambourines, and use craft sticks instead of rhythm sticks. You can also tape party streamers to craft sticks for the "drum major"...Any music will do...just march around, sing, and bang away!

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 8, 2006

5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed is another favorite. :)

Musical chairs, Simon Says, Hokey Pokey are some other easy things to that don't require advance prep or buying particular CD's. :)

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2006

here is a short poem for an apple theme that I use every year and the kids LOVE:

An apple sat on a railroad track
    It's heart was all a flutter
    Around the bend
    Came engine 10
    Smoosh Smoosh
    Apple Butter!

Of course you can replace apple with peanut ect. But we visit an apple orchard and I buy apple butter for the kids to eat........they love it! :)

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 8, 2006

I don't do music in a deaf classroom, but for games....

1. I use masking tape on the table and play tic tac toe (only after they (or their team) spells the word correctly. You can adapt it to fit other things.
    2. Word/Math Bingo
    3. Spell/answer the question excercises (every time the gym instructor (kid) is in the spotlight (front of room), he/she is asked a question, afterwards he/she picks a gym excercise for all of the class to follow.
    4. Two people stand behind a white line. When the question is asked, they rushed up to the board and write their answer gaining points for their team.
    5. Word slapjack (to practice word wall sight reading)
    6. Sparkle (if you don't know it, I'll explain it in another post..a little long)
    7. hangman
    8. Start spelling a word (and the students try to finish it (once they guess it) before you finish it (do it slow). They go nuts. They want to "beat the teacher."
    9. math fraction dominos

Maybe not the kind of games you were thinking of but..it's my 2 cents. I am mostly language arts as you'll glean.

7. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

There's also Greg & Steve! I used them a lot last year while student teaching. I haven't started yet because this is my first week and we're only playing simon says, but Greg & Steve have a lot of songs/ games on their CD's. My cooperating teacher had all of their records, I felt really young trying to figure out how to work a record player.