Fun read alouds and why you/your students liked it

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 12, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 12, 2008

I saw a thread on here about books such as There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. It looks like people love that book! If you've read it, why is it really good? I would love to hear some other recommendations with a quick summary about why you liked the book- even if it's 1-2 sentences so I can get some ideas!

By the way, do teachers normally read the books before they read them to their students or do you like being surprised to? :lol:

3. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Oct 13, 2008

You HAVE to read the books before you read them to the class to make sure the content is ok for YOUR class (not just your grade)!!!!!!!!!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

I, too, always read the books before I read them aloud to the kids. Sometimes there are topics that are okay for one group of kids and the next year it just doesn't fit them.

5. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I read mine ahead of time, too.
    My kids loved Sideways Stories from Wayside School when I read it this year. It's kind of silly, and my kids got really into it.
    I think most books by Andrew Clements usually work too.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

Reading The Tale of Despereaux right now and the kids are loving it. I let them do sound effects with the story, eg. drum beats as he's being carted off to rat prison.

The movie will be out Dec. 19th.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I read "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom" every year. Both boys and girls love the story. It's about a 5th grade boy who can't make friends and alienates himself from the rest of the group until a new student comes to the school and befriends him. He learns from the new student and the new school counseler how to like himself and become a friend to others. I think that the students relate to the story. But, the name of the book is what catches their attention.
    Right now I am also reading the "Tales of Desperaux".
    To answer your question: No, I don't always read the book before I read it to the class. I just don't have time. I do watch all movies, though! I use books that are known for their quality (story or author).

8. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I read this book out loud last year to my class and we all LOVED it! Of course, if I could, I would just sit and read out loud to my kids all day long...I so love to do it! I'm big on using character voices, so Despereaux's mom, a french drama queen, was oh-so-fun to do a voice for!:lol:

Other favorite read alouds - Bunnicula, Pippi Longstocking, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and for older kids, The Hobbit.

I agree with all of those who have warned you to read any book on your own first before you read it aloud. What's good for one class, might be a disaster for another simply if one kid would get upset by any of the content.

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I just finished today, The Diary of a Whimpy Kid with my kids. They loved it! I did read it before I read it to them. It's a great book! Shiloh is going to be next up. I just finished reading Saving Shiloh during DEAR time, and almost cried! That's a great series. My team teacher last year read Hatchett to our kids, and they loved it. Just some quick ideas for you!

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

Chocolate Touch is good and you could even do a unit on chocolate. Ok I will admit it, I do it because I love chocolate

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 13, 2008

i SECOND the wayside school books. we read all three of them and my kids roll in the aisle! i also SECOND the shiloh series. last year i read them with my class for the first time (another teacher in same grade recommended it as a read aloud...i read SOME of it, but not all). i cried with my class about shiloh's situation in the beginning. but we rejoiced together with the other books. then we watched the 3 movies and did compare/contrast with them...they are different. i also read james and the giant peach...there are some swear words, but you can just add a different word in its place. :)

have fun! that's why i read 'em!
    LC

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 13, 2008

Mine love Piggy Pie. I have a pretty good witch voice...

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I third Wayside books. I substitute my kids' names for the characters, and they really like that.

We have also read Bunnicula, Ramona the Pest, Anne of Green Gables, and No Talking. We're reading Indian in the Cupboard right now.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 13, 2008

Maybe because my kids are young and I can edit when I read it aloud - but I don't read the books myself before I read them to the class. Of course, I read many of them when I was young, I just don't remember much of the details. I do like to be surprised and I've found many great books that way.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 13, 2008

The Indian in the Cupboard- I do a great voice for the Indian. They simply love the story. It's fabulous.

The Boy Who Ran for President- The humor in the book captures their attention.

I must get both of those read before December...