Fun Math Review

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MissMath, Aug 29, 2010.

1. MissMath

MissMath Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

Hi! I'm a first year teacher this year and our first chapter tests are coming up. I teach high school geometry and algebra. Does anyone have any good ideas for fun ways to review for the test? I've done jeopardy in the past and I'm trying to think of something new.

Thanks for any help!
    Miss Math

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

4. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

I have found that Jeopardy can get too rambunctious. Instead I like to do whiteboard reviews - each kid gets a mini-whiteboard, I project questions on the board, the kids have some fixed amount of time for each one, and they all hold up their boards with their answers. They don't even need a reward, they just like writing on the whiteboards!

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

We play board races.

Our desks are in rows, so each row is a team. The first person in each row goes to the board and is given a problem. When the finish the problem, they kneel down so I know they're done.

The first person to finish the problem correctly earns a point for their row.

Then, the second person in each row comes up and is given a different problem and so on.

The row with the most points wins. I typically give that row and extra credit point on the test or a little piece of candy.

My middle schoolers LOVE board races!!

6. MissMath

MissMath Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

Thanks for the tips, everybody! We're going to be reviewing next week before our first test, so I'll try these out : )

7. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I do team relays. Usually 3 to a team. 4 or 5 questions on eacy relay worksheet. On each relay there is a mixture of easy to hard questions. team must get all correct inorder to move to the next worksheet. when they bring the worksheet up with the answers, I only tell them how many questions they missed, not which ones. This adds to the fun and determination. It's amazing how competitive the kids get. Even the kids that usually sit back and don't do anything get involved.