fun math problem solving

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 9, 2008

I'm looking for an activity for 3rd gr that will take approx 3 forty minute sessions to complete... some sort of math game... or logical problem solving... like playing a game and figuring out the strategy and then making your own game or something.... I'm at a loss... any advice would be welcomed!!

3. mmis

mmis Companion

Jan 13, 2008

My son works on "Math Menu" 3 days each week. He has to solve 2 different word problems or games. He shows his work in a folder with a rubric as his guide. The key to this work is that he has to explain his reasoning in all steps. He has to label all of his work and explain how we worked out the problem - game- or puzzle. I don't know where his teacher finds all of the problems.

I have seen a site - Mathstories.com I believe -that uses literature to create math problems. You have to have a subscription to use the site but they have sample problems so that you can see the concept.

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

Mmis, could you ask your son's teacher if there is a particular place where she finds these? I would greatly appreciate it . But if not, no worries. :p I think Math Menus are a fantastic idea.

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 14, 2008

Do third graders learn coordinate graphing? I know they do in fourth and fifth.
    Anyway, we play connect four on the graph. For example, you make a point on the graph using a dot marker. Your partner does the same using a different color. The first one to get 4 in a row wins. They have to name the coordinates as they play. Afterwards, they discuss any strategies they used to play the game.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

Speaking of coordinate graphing, you can do simple dot-do-dot puzzles that way.

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 14, 2008

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about books like Grid and Graph It, where you plot th coordinates and connect the points to make a picture?

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

Sounds right, though I never heard of the book.

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 15, 2008

My kids love making pictures when we study coordinate graphing. The reason I suggested the Connect 4 activity is because Jen mentioned she wanted something that involved strategic thinking.
    I found the connect 4 activity in a wonderful book by Marilyn Burns called Algebraic Thinking. (grades3-5)

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 15, 2008

I have done variations on tic tac toe; for example - you can change whether you are X or O each turn, so you have to think both ways. There are a lot of variations, and you could teach one or two, and then have the kids come up with more.