Fun Math Ideas Wanted

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwettiest, Dec 11, 2011.

1. pwettiest

pwettiest Rookie

Dec 11, 2011

In preparation for an interview for a math and science after school enrichment program, I have been asked to prepare a lesson plan of math activities for twelve 2nd graders.

Does any of you have any really great activities that you use in class?

Because it's an after school program, it's supposed to be more interactive and fun than the way they already learn math in school. Local curriculum standards call for the students to learn number decomposition, addition/subtraction, measuring, and time in their normal math lessons, so I would have to build off those themes.

Any great ideas I could try? Fun and interactive are a huge plus since this is an after school program.

Thanks!

3. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Dec 13, 2011

I use in both my regular ed classroom and after school group some games/activities that use a deck of playing cards. I use a bunch of lessons from pep called acing math one deck at a time. There are a ton of activities for different grades and it's a free resource.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 14, 2011

Make a list of 12 answers on the board. Have the students make 3x3 'bingo' boards on paper or white boards. They should then place 9 of the answers from the list in any positions on the board that they choose. Next, you play bingo. You call out a problem and they either cover the answer with a marker or put a check in that box. The first to get 3 in a row wins. You can make the game longer by using 4x4 boards. This works for all grades and you can make the questions and answers as difficult or easy as you like.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Have you ever seen the card game, "I Have...Who has...."? It's a series of cards with 2 math problems on them and each student gets handed one or two. Say the first student has a card that says "I am 56", the student with the card that says, "I am 8 x 7" would raise their hand, and then read the other clue that is on their card. I have seen a few different versions on line.

6. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

have you ever played, "I Have...Who Has?" This is a great link, but there are many more versions of it online.
    www.mathnstuff.com/papers/games/whohas/whointr.htm