Fun Math games...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Learner4Life, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

Does anyone have any math games we could play? I have Friday Game Day and aparently I'm running out of ideas because last week I heard "we always play tic-tac-toe!"
    My kids have learned addition, subtraction, rounding, place value, and will be learning time next week if that helps!!!

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Apr 17, 2008

The kids love a game called Math Around the Room. It is a review game using many different concepts or just one. Here is how it is played:
    Two students stand up and turn with their back to the board. The teacher writes a problem on the board and the then has the two students turn around and answer it. Whoever gives the correct answer first wins and then moves ahead to play the next player. The game continues until everyone plays at least once. A player might just win one competition or many of them. I usually give rewards to all the winners.

For time, I play time bingo. You just make bingo cards with different clocks on them and call out times and then follow regular bingo rules. You might be able to find some premade cards on line if you google it. I do no have computerized copies or else I would send you mine.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 17, 2008

My kids love this one:

Write 5 problems on an index card. Across the top, put the numbers that may be used in the solutions. Example: 4 more than the number 62. Across the top, have various answers. Some questions can use two answers, such as: 3 + ___ - 5 = 20. Separate kids into groups. Have them work together to solve all 5 problems. The first group to solve all correctly is the winner.

I write different sets of problems for each group and they put their answers on the board for me to check.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Apr 23, 2008

My kids love to play "I'm the biggest". It really helps with place value. I use a deck of cards and have numbers 0-9. If we've learned through hundreds place, I have them draw three blanks on a piece of paper or small dry erase board. It would look like this:
    ____ _____ _____ then I pull one card, and they have to put it in a place where they think they would end up with the biggest number. Then I pull one more. They have to write that one in. The idea is to write them in before they know what's coming next, and try to make the biggest number. They figure out quickly to put the 9's in the tens place, and the 0's in the ones, but everything else is just guessing what'll come next. They love it!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 24, 2008

Put a grid on the board with as many boxes as you have students. Put one answer in each box. Students pick boxes and put their names/initials in them. Then you say the problem aloud. Kids find answer and search for it on the board. The child whose name is on that answer box erases his/her box. You continue until there is only one box left. That child is the winner.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

A while back somebody posted about relay races. I modified it for my grade level and now I forget how it was for the younger kiddos. In a nutshell, you write up sets of problems on whiteboards and divide the class into groups. The first kid goes and does any problem then hands the marker to the next kid. They keep handing off the markers till all the problems are done. While they're working problems, you are going behind them and erasing wrong answers. The winner is the group who gets all the problems correct first.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

That does sound like fun!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

I wish I could remember who posted it. I got the idea from here and it's a HUGE hit.

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

Here's another math game that I adopted from a third grade teacher at our school. All you need are index cards and 2 fly swatters. You can do this for any type of math.

To reinforce estimation with my kiddos, I would write various answers on index cards and put them, face up, on the ground. I put the students into two groups. Then, I call a number, "792." A student from each would race to the front where the index cards on the group and look for the answer. When he or she finds it, he or she hits it with the fly swatter. The student who finds it earns a point for their team. Then, the game continues and the students pass the fly swatters to the next teammates.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 6, 2008

I use dice and playing cards quite often in my Friday math games. You can adapt them to any level and it's still engaging for the students.

Roll dice, add/multiply, largest sum/product wins

Roll 3 dice to practice adding 3 numbers

Roll die and build a "Monster Number"- place numbers strategically in hundreds/tens/ones to come up with the Monster Number after all turns have been taken

Race to 100- use a hundreds board and dice. Students place markers on 0, roll die, move that number of spaces-first to 100, wins. This can also be adapted to play Count down to 0. (start at 100)

Use cards to add/multiply. Take turns turning over cards, add or multiply- student with largest sum or product wins.

Use three cards to practice adding 3 numbers.

Build a Monster Number using cards.

12. ACaringHart

ACaringHart Rookie

May 18, 2008

You can play pirate poker (you can call it whatever you want like "quick draw" for example.

Put your kids in groups of 3. Two take a card from the pile and stick it on their own forehead without looking. Each player can see the others card but not their own. When both cards are on their forhead the 3rd person tells the other two players what their sum is if you are working on addition OR what the product is if you are using this game for multiplication.

All face cards are worth 10 and the numbers cards are worth the number on the card.

SOOOOOOOO for example, if Bobby has an 8 on his forehead and Joan has a King, the third person would say the sum of your cards is 18. Bobby knows that Joan has a King which is worth 10, so he can figure out what his card is knowing Joans card and that the sum is 18. If you were doing multiplication you'd say the product of your two cards is 80. Hope that makes sense.

My kids LOOOOOOOOVE this game. It keeps everyone busy and everyone is practicing their math facts. THey even play this during inside recess.

13. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

There are some books with math games that are great. Like, for example 25 super cool board games or tic tac toe math. There is also one of spinner games. You photocopy them, laminate them, and have kids try different games. They cover a wide range of skills and there are games for different grade levels. You can browse in google for books about math games and you will find tons of them!

14. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I love playing I spy. It is a two person game and requires a deck of cards. The students lay out the cards in a rectangle (no face cards). Then one student says I spy two cards that equal 10, then the other student has to find two cards that add up to 10 that are touching. It works well on having students learn all the different number facts, because it can be a 2 and 8 or a 3 and 7 or so on. It can be adapted for subtraction or multiplication.