Fun lit activities (7th grade)

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Alisha, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

So....the textbook for my lit class that I am teaching BORING! We have to read the stuff from the text, but I at least want to do something different for vocab activities, comprehension and the like.

ANY IDEAS?!?

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I just checked out The English Teacher's Companion from the library and its great--it has all kinds of ideas like you're looking for. I hate those stupid textbooks though they make fine outlines and help you decide what needs to be covered.

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

I'm in the middle of no where. (Northern Wisconsin.....) BUT I will attempt to get my hands on a copy of that.

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I had to teach a librarian in the boonies of MO how to do interlibrary loan. You might as well buy it from amazon though--it's not expensive and you need it. BTW, I love N. Wisconsin.

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

I probably will buy it (as soon as that first much needed paycheck rolls in! :) )
    I love it up here too, but it gets COLD! It is only 2 and a half hours more north of where I grew up but I cannot believe the difference! (It frosted last week! WHAT, It's August!)

7. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I try to find neat ways for students to demonstrate their knowledge to me by assigning projects - art, music, drama, writing, etc. They love it!

8. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I use freerice.org on occasion so the kids can practice the vocabulary strategies we work on everyday as a bellringer. It is a great website--check it out!

Also, do a search for the "Say Anything" activity. It is a great activity I have used many times in my classroom.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2008

My kids wrote comic strips last week to retell their story in the basal. This week, they will be writing scripts and acting them out. Should be fun.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 14, 2008

If you have access to the internet with your kids, readwritethink.org has some great lessons that use interactive technology. Even if you don't, they still have good lessons that use more traditional supplies.

11. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I love using comic strips--totally forgot about that one!

Also, I have a vocabulary tic tac toe sheet I use. It has nine activities, some more traditional, but also some are for the more creative minded, such as write a song using vocabulary words. The kids have to choose three that would give them a tic tac toe.