Fun Journals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 13, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

I very much believe in journal writing, however our supply list (which I did not agree with) asked for 10 journals per student this year. I want to go beyond the daily writing prompt. I have used poetry journals in the past and ones for reading response. Math journals never really worked for me with the little ones because by the time they copied the problem, math time was over.

Does anyone else have any fun ideas for journals the kids can use throughout the year?

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2013

Last year I did math journals with my students and they loved them! Some times they would beg me to do two. I bought the ones from the link below. I would just pre-cut the strips and place the prompts in a sandwich bag. Then when it was time for journals I would have a student give everyone a strip and they would use a glue stick to secure it to the paper. They would then go on to solve the problem and draw out/explain their answer. I like how it keeps a running record of what they've done. I would always walk around and grade their notebook as they finished. It would only take about 15 minutes of our math block.

Daily Math Journals

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 13, 2013

My class had journals they kept in their desk for free time. Being all boys, they called these their "man journals". :D

Basically they used these right after lunch while they were waiting for the others to finish up, and during down time in the classroom. They wrote and drew what they pleased.

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 16, 2013

6. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jun 16, 2013

What about a drawing journal....you could use it as a way for them to sort of re-tell a story that was read aloud to them in pictures

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 16, 2013

I like that list. Thank you for sharing it. I like the quote journal too-I do a quote a day with them to discuss so that might be a good challenge for them.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Zelda-"man" journals--too cute!

I definitely have some uses for those journals now. :thumb: :thanks:

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2013

Kinder - with my firsties, I did a math journal. Instead of having the students write the word problems, I typed them in MS Word and printed them on address labels! They loved it! Then, we would work our way through the process of solving the problems. Like a previous poster, my kids almost always wanted to do more than one - it was a great way to begin our math lesson each day!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 17, 2013

Oh my gosh this is GENIUS! Thank you for revolutionizing my math instruction! I've been printing prompts on address labels for the kids' literature response journals - how did I not think of this for math?! :D

Kinder - TEN journals?! WOW... As I just mentioned, I typed out literature response prompts on address labels and used them in literature journals for the kids. They loved it. I just typed out simple questions like "Who were the main characters?" or "Who is your favorite character? Why?"

10. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

That is so funny--"man journals" !! Love it!:lol:

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2013

I use journals with my children as well and they draw in them, write in them, add artwork they've done....many different things. I love the idea of doing a math problem on labels and putting them in the journals. It's brilliant!

12. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 17, 2013

For my math journals, I type up the prompt ahead of time, cut it out and have the kiddos glue them in. Saves a LOT of time.

I've used science journals, where they record observations, glue in a foldable that we made about something, or copy down the vocabulary words for the chapter.

I've also had word study journals, where they practiced their spelling words (I used words their way). They would glue them in at the end of the week, after they did their word sorts. Before gluing the words in, they did all their word writing activities in the journal.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 17, 2013

I purchased my address labels from Amazon (huge box for about $15 - a lot cheaper than Office Depot, etc.). I tried just printing them on regular paper, cutting them out, and having the kiddos glue them in, but that was not only time-consuming, but extremely messy, and many of the first graders would use way too much glue (sticks), causing the problem of their journals being glued shut, lol!

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2013

I did name journals with my pre-k this year which may be good for you at the beginning of the year. They did it quickly to sign in at the beginning of the day. It could transition to last name, phone number, address, friend's names, etc.

I have seen weather journals on Pinterest, I think, which could be combined with science.

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 17, 2013

My 2nd & 3rd Graders also have a Quick Write journal. They build stamina writing free-form, starting with a 60 second QW and eventually, a minute at a time, getting to 20 minutes! The rules are simple:
    - pencil has to be moving the whole time.
    - write about any subject you like OR use the prompt.
    - Optional - share your writing at the closing circle.

Some kids who like to write will create a story that goes across multiple Quick Writes. Others stick to the prompt. At first, the pencil moving rule is hard because they will say they are thinking. Remind them that thinking can be done through the pencil. Do an example using your "I Can Write About..." anchor chart:
    I don't mark these but I do read them.

Also wanted to add: my kids often need two journals in one subject because they fill one up.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 17, 2013

Great method, Shelly! I have struggled with writing journal (free writes, anyway), and this puts it in a way I think I can use!

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2013

I'm going to try something new this year - take home journals. Each one will have a question/prompt on the cover, and then they'll go home with one kid for the week, until everyone has had a turn. Some ideas I saw on pinterest were a lost tooth journal, birthday journal, etc.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 18, 2013

For my little ones (3rd grade) I often would print out the writing prompt and would it cut it down to size so all they had to do was glue it in. I love including a box for students to draw in- sometimes if they can get a visual drawing of something they can then write about it (great strategy for struggling writers).

This blogger has math writing prompts for every month of the school year: http://ketchenskindergarten.blogspot.com/p/monthly-math-journals.html

19. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

My kids like to write an "opinion column" over books and stories we've read. What makes it fun is that I tell them to be totally honest, tell me if you thought the story was boring, but explain why it was and what you might do to improve it. Anytime you give them a "voice" they tend to have a little better motivation.

20. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 22, 2013

I did science journals. leaf rubbings, nature walk-glue and/or tape items on a page, plants- draw and label parts.....

21. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2013

My 3rd graders have issues with gluing- I can only imagine what first graders are capable of doing :lol:

I remember teaching a 3rd grader who was having issues with the glue coming out of the glue bottle (that was the last year I ever used glue bottles). I thought I'd let him try to solve the problem on his own first (he has some learning disabilities so I thought the problem solving would be a good experience for him) and so he unscrewed the cap and checked to make sure the squirt top was clear and then put the cap back on. Poor thing forgot to screw the cap back on and he dumped about 1/3 of the bottle of glue all over his paper and his science notebook. Without missing a beat, I grabbed some paper towels, helped him wipe down his paper/notebook, screwed the cap on tightly for him, and let him try again- while continuing to walk the students through putting their notebooks together. ( I definitely recommend sticking to glue sticks- the good brands because the cheap stuff will make anything you glue in fall out over the months.)

I still have to model throughout 3rd and 4th grades how we lightly press the glue stick on to each corner and I think my kiddos are sick of hearing me say "Remember kids: 4 dots only!". :)

22. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2013

Awesome idea! :thumb: It's their journals, they should be able to write their opinions :love:

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2013

How about a 'joke of the day' journal?
    They could copy it from the board.
    By the end of the year, 180 jokes that they just may pull out over the summer and read.

List journals?
    It would be on going. This could be with or without prompts or both;
    List fruits, things that are often red, football teams, US States, US Presidents, scary things, books read, landforms, weather words, pet names, things I do not like to eat, etc.