fun handwriting lesson...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by HufflePuff, Nov 22, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Nov 22, 2008

my kids are slacking in cursive...any general ideas for a fun handwriting lesson?

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Nov 22, 2008

In this site, you can create handwriting worksheets. Once you finish creating it, you can download it as a pdf file. I plan on playing with it, once I download so that I can add picture. I got thls idea from a purchase I made on handwriting practice tablets that cost me 25 cents each. I was concerned about how some of my students lack handwriting skills & wanted to see if this would encourage them. Initially, I was worried about hurting their feelings because the tablets were for 1st graders. Turns out that they loved it because it has pictures, & they love to practice. I've seen some of them take it to lunch to practice. Unfortunately, I was only able to purchase 7 -- all they had. So this is one other option I am going to try since now all of them want some. Won't be as pretty but they'll still enjoy it, plus it's free! I'm also going to use it to incorporate social studies.

Sorry this turned out to be long. www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008
  4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 29, 2008

I use a cursive font called Learning Curve that has both dotted and solid versions (not sure where I got this, but google it because I know I got it for free). I'm trying to get in the habit of doing a cursive warmup once a week with science words since they LOVE it. I also require them to practice their signature, and they can't get enough of that.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I agree this is not a great answer for you, but we seem to be ignoring cursive in our county. They teach it in 3rd, supposed to practice it in 4th (but the teachers don't), and by the time they get to 5th, they are a mess. I just don't seem to have time in the day to go back and reteach it... what with all the BIG TESTS in 5th.

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

I have given each student a composition book. Each day I write a tongue twister on the board, the students copy it. By the end of the year, students have about 160 twisters to practice and share with family and friends. (This helps with the study of alliteration as well.) Later in the year, students can write and submit their own twisters to be included.

I have also done the composition book idea, but put a "This Day in History" event on the board for them to copy. They liked this one too, but the twister notebook wins hands down.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

Sounds like a plan to me. I think I'll take your idea about one sentence a day. At least I'll feel like I'm doing something.

8. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

Thanks Teachling for the link!:)
    I have been practicing cursive writing with my students since we returned from our Christmas break. My fifth graders were not excited about this extra practice until I created the customized worksheets. I type out tongue twisters(nice idea, Mr. K), riddles, knock knock jokes, and fun, interesting information for them to trace or copy. THEY LOVE IT, and they can't wait to read what I have provided.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 18, 2009

sounds like a good idea -just have to figure out how to put it in since they (this state) doesn't put handwriting or cursive writing into the standard course of study anymore...