Fun Handwriting Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.F, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ms.F

Ms.F Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

I'm a second grade teacher and have a student in my class who really needs to improve her printing. Her handwriting is readable. However, she could stand a refresher course in forming her printed letters correctly.

I'd like to know if anyone has any fun handwriting activities that I could use with this student as well as for the rest of my class. We have a handwriting practice book, but it just doesn't engage her and motivate her to want to improve her writing.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!:D

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

It wasn't a whole lot of fun...but when I was in second grade our teacher was out for about 2 months because of a surgery, so we had a sub. She had us write Americana songs & then our sub played them on the piano!!! It wasn't real fun at the time, but I learned most of my songs in that few months.

Our teachers must have loved teaching us songs, because I had other teachers do the same thing.

4. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 8, 2010

You could teach them the basic principles of calligraphy and have them invent fancy signatures for themselves. Other than that, the only 'fun' thing I can think of about handwriting is if it happens to be the way they write down their own stories.

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

I do a spelling activity with my kids that involves printing. I print out a basic picture (something with nice lines but not too much of an intricate drawing...for example, balloons). The students use their spelling words and colored pencils to write their words on the outline of the picture using different colors. I use this in 5th grade and my kids really enjoy it. Hope it makes sense....