Fun Friday

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by pwhatley, Aug 1, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

If you "do" Fun Friday, could you please explain it to me? How do the kids earn it? What happens if a child doesn't earn it (or loses it)? What kind of things do you do? How much time do you take out of your schedule for it? Please excuse my ignorance.:eek:

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

anyone :confused:

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

This past year I did my Fun Friday a little differently. When I taught gen ed it was a reward for homework completion. Students who completed all weekly homework attended Fun Friday ( about 45 minutes at the end of the day) and we usually did an activity related to a topic we were studying (art activity, etc), Children who could complete their homework in class before Fun Friday was completed were allowed to join us. Now I allow the entire class to join Fun Friday because I consider it an extension of the curriculum.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks, beckysuek - any information is better than what I had! I had some, well, rather difficult little angels last year, so I have another question. What do you do with the student who refuses to participate and/or disrupts other students who are acting responsibly? Stupid question, I know, but I'm really trying to "get a leg up" on this coming year so it will be better for us all!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

My situation is a little different than yours because I have an assistant who can remove unrily little ones so I guess the best advice I can give you is to choose highly entertaining activities that your troublemakers will want to participate in. I give snippets of info all week about what we will be doing on Fri so that I can keep on saying how much fun we will be having on Fri. I find every reason under the sun not to exclude students, in spite of their behavior. There have been occasions when a student would have to sit in a nearby chair in time out and just watch. I ignored (or tried to) the loud noises that would eminate from that child and eventually they gave up. I know you had a crew last year and I sympathize (been there, done that!) Another reason I tie Fun Friday into the curriculum some way is so that children will not have to be excluded and then have that additional distraction for you. My troublemakers become the helpers (which I'm sure you have done before). Cooking activities and messy arts and crafts usually get me the most positive behavior. If you need some ideas just pm me and I'll go through my files. Are there any parents that might come in and help. I can't remember but I think you said you are moving to another school? Maybe the administration will have things more under control. Can you team with another teacher and divy up the children so you can separate the unruly ones? I'll keep thinking and get back if I come up with some bright ideas for you!

7. old n new

old n new Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

At our school, we team up with another teacher for fun Friday. One of us does the fun activity and the other one has the kids who have to finish work (as soon as their work is finished they get to join the other class) or who have not earned Fun Friday due to behavior. Those kids write a letter to their parents telling why they missed Fun Friday. We trade back and forth so you only have to plan an activity every other week. It works well for us.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

Some of the teachers at my school allow for a sort of free time on Fridays for those who are caught up on all their work. The others can join as soon as all their work is finished. I never have time for Fun Friday but may do it every once in awhile...idk.

9. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

We do not have alot of time to spend on fun friday every week so we do it the last friday of the month. We generate a list together of fun activities ie, free time, pj day, movie day, toy day, craft day, cooking and favorite stufffed animal time. A 3rd grade teacher has them earn video game time and let me tell you, that really gets the kids who are behavior issues an incentive they enjoy. We ususally do the first 15 min of school on that friday and the last 30 min of that day. Fun friday is tied into our class behavior plan. I only use fun friday as a reward for behavior and completed work.

10. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

At my school our whole team works together for Fun Friday. We have 9 of us on the team and we have 8 choices for the kids who earn their Fun Friday to choose. This means that each week one of the teachers has "off" time during Fun Friday to catch up on whatever she needs to do. We have a schedule that we rotate through, each week you "monitor" a different room for Fun Friday. The choices our kids can choose from are: outside play (2 teachers), indoor games, dance room, computer lab, arts and crafts, movie room, and the quiet room (for students who did not earn Fun Friday).
    We have Fun Friday for a half hour at the end of the day on Fridays. Luckily, I have an awesome team to work with and we all are able to work together to do this every week. If anything didn't make sense or you have any questions, let me know! :) Hope that helps!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2009

We will have the time built into our schedule this year...yay! There are 3 of us in my team and I believe we will all be doing fun friday for 20-30 minutes. Kids who have all of their hw done and who have had good weeks of behavior will be included.

12. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I do "Far Out Friday" which works with my space theme. I do it every other Friday. The kids get 3 spaceships... they have to have one spaceship in order to participate in far out friday. The spaceships can be taken away for various things. On far out friday, the kids get to sit where they want, write with what they want, take off their shoes in the room, listen to a space story, have free time (20-30 mins, maybe), and enjoy a special treat (milky way, etc.). I also made a large car door magnet on vista print to put up on fun friday as a reminder.