Fun first week activities?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsHoot, Aug 9, 2010.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I would love to know if you have any activities that you love to do during the first week of school.

I am reading First Day Jitters and doing the playdoh activity that another member here shared a little while back. And I am having students create owls (matches my room theme) according to things about them (called glyphs or something?)

I need some more ideas! =) What else is everyone doing?

3. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I print off simple questions like "What is your favorite color?" or "What is your favorite zoo animal?" in small font. I cut them apart, roll them very tiny and put them each inside seperate balloons, which I then blow up and tie off. Throughout the day (not normally on the first day, more like 2nd or 3rd day) kids take turns getting to sit on the balloon to pop it. We then read the question together, which the student answers. I write their answer in a complete sentence on chart paper. (Good time to start talking about punctuation, etc). I do about 4 or 5 at one sitting, then we do something else and come back later to do 4 or 5 more. After everyone has gone, I cut apart the chart paper and give each kid their sentence. They copy the sentence and illustrate. This is normally the first work I put out in the hallway. :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

5. teach12

teach12 Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I like this idea!! Very relevant to beginning of school and so many good standards hit at the same time!! Stealing it.... :D

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

LOVE that balloon idea!! I did a balloon pop last year for assigning numbers, and decided I wanted to alphabetize this year. But this is too fun! I do like the all about me, I think I'm going to do all about me bags throughout the week for students to share.

8. JennaTeaches

JennaTeaches Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Our school follows the book The First Six Weeks...and we pretty much do every activity in the lesson plans it gives you.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

We will make bookmarks.
    Not sure if that is considered fun..

10. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

ilovetoread--I love the balloon idea! I will be doing this one for sure. One quick question. Does it disturb other classes? Okay another one. Do you have anyone that is scared of the balloon popping?