fun extras needed

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scooter503, Oct 20, 2010.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Oct 20, 2010

We have state testing coming up and our schedule is going to be screwed up for the entire week. I can't teach my normal content, as I won't be having ANY of my morning classes that week, but will have my afternoon classes EVERY day. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do during those days (I want to keep it educational)? I teach English/Language Arts to middle schoolers.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Oct 20, 2010

Vocabulary bingo? Found poems? I Am poems? Story writing with illustrations? Grammar review games?

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2010

Pass-around stories are fun--give them an opening line, like "It was a dark and stormy night" and have them write for 5 minutes, then exchange papers and continue their classmate's story; repeat as long as you care to. Or challenge your students to write a paragraph 7 sentences long in which they don't repeat any words--my seniors struggled with that one! Ooh, have a "said" competition--put them in teams and give them five minutes to come up with as many alternatives to the word "said" as they can. Score it like Boggle--teams read their lists, and if another team has the same word, everyone crosses it out; only unique words earn points.