Fun - but educational - projects

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Ms.T, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

What do you all do for projects at the beginning of the year?

I do a lot of activities that use manipulatives, but I have a pretty set routine - reading, math groups, etc. that is slightly boring as far as art projects.

I'm looking for ideas for fun art projects that would fit in with the curriculum. I feel I do a lot of coloring projects, but I need something more exciting.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

3. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

For Sept. you can do some Johnny Appleseed things. We make applesauce(crock pot), cut an apple(fractions, seeds, etc.) Then, we make apple prints(dip apple half in paint), sequence and draw stage of an apple tree, read about John Chapman, timeline, etc. It is hard to fit things in, but the kids need it! Good luck!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

This has nothing to do with coloring and not all kids like to color. I keep two chess boards set up in my room for those early finishers and it's also a great reward. It's a great game and required a tremendous amount of thinking & any kid can learn to play. I had a huge tournament one year with about 90 kids in it and a kid from special ed won!

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Thanks for the ideas! I think I will do some paint patterning with apples. Now if only I could get my school to buy me paint...

6. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Sep 19, 2008

I wish I knew how to play chess... can you learn from written instructions, or does someone have to teach you...?

7. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Sep 20, 2008

One project (yes, it's coloring...but purposeful coloring) is for the reading strategy VISUALIZE. I read the book Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs to the class, and show them the pictures for most pages. I do not show them the picture for the page of frankfurters and mustard clouds with a drizzle of soda. Instead, I give them a blank page with this text and they have to provide the illustration using as many details from the story as possible. Once you have done this using this text, you cn do it as an assignment for any text in your reading series where appropriate.

I also do a plant diagram at the beginning of the year. Students glue fuzzy yarn to a piece of construction paper for the roots, a pipe cleaner for the stem, a pom pom for the center of the flower, and construction paper for the leaves and the petals of the flower. They also have to label the parts.

8. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 20, 2008

my kids make body posters of the different body systems, they watch a slim good body video, we review what we learned, they write facts about that system and color/cut/glue to the body poster...this is what they look like
    http://www.classnotesonline.com/student/View_Content.php?co_id=95310&intIdCategory=5&cl_id=10160

we also grow a plant and make a plant book that has a record of growth, a diagram of plant parts, diagram of how pollen gets to the pistols to make seeds, leaf rubbing, different type of seeds, i can't think of what else...

later in the year we will read the day jimmy's boa ate the wash and they will make snakes out of ties

they will make a timeline- i use calculator tape and fold it into 22 or 23 4" sections

at the very end of the year, they will make a scrap book of the year using the pictures I have been taking throughout the year...I have been taking 14 sheets of cardstock from the work room everytime I run copies so it doesn't look like I taking 5 million pieces and stashing them in my room

they will make a teepee out of manilla paper and skewers, draw different native american symbols onto the outside of it

they wrote their numbers from 1 to 1,000- that will be a book

i'm sure there are more projects, i just can't think of any more at the moment

9. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

amyt682, what did they put in the number book?

10. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

there are 10 different sheets each sheet has 100 numbers on it...it's basically a number chart...1-100, 101-200, 201-300, etc...

11. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

i can take a pic tomorrow of my example and post it if you want