Fun Arithmetricks for Lower Elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Obadiah, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 15, 2017

I couldn't remember a clock trick that I've used in third grade, in a fun situation, that helps review spelling of the numbers. I found it on this website: https://www.thespruce.com/trick-the-clock-prediction-magic-trick-2268006 . In the process, I found another trick I never thought of before. On an analog clock, the numbers directly across from each other equal 6. (I couldn't believe in all my years of looking at a clock in the classroom I never noticed this before)! Of course, this pattern would hold true for other even numbers; for example, a clock with 14 hours would have a difference of 7. Students would benefit and enjoy exploring these tricks and trying to figure out how they work. Advanced or older students might also explore the pattern beginning with an odd number such as 13.

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Rookie

Nov 15, 2017

Really the links make easy to learn the tricks...

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2017

Yes - I agree! The key being the giving them time to and expecting them to work towards trying to figure out these patterns that they might notice (instead of just giving students tricks/rules/formulas and asking them to memorize them).