Fun after state testig ideas??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by calalily18, Mar 8, 2008.

1. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I am looking for any ideas that anyone has as fun rewards and activities to do after state testing--- we test over 4 days in April ( i teach 5th)-- my team is trying to think of new things we can do with the kids after testing and also especially on the last day. thanks!!! :)

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

We've done intramural sport activities before. The kids love it. Even if they decide not to play on a team, they still get excited about being there because they want their team to win.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

We have tie-dyed t-shirts, and made bead lizards with pony beads. The lizards are always a hit and I end up buying more supplies so kids can make more on their recess time.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2008

Board games

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

awe thank you for asking this!!!! A lot of the teachers in my school are making the kids sit and do homework MORE after their tests and by the time they get to Study Hall they are BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS cuz they've built up so much energy!

If it's warm, I'd say take them outside for some track-n-field type events! OR you can have them make collages of their favorite things...

7. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

so far my plans are-- first day of testing (we test reading 2 days, then 2 days math) we will play math games to prep for math testing all afternoon-- my kids like my games, so this is fun for them. ( in the morning we will have magazine, book reading time or a fun artist/artwork study each day when testing is over). day 2 we will also play lots more math games. then day 3-- board games in the afternoon. day 4---- this is my most fun idea...our testing theme this year is "rock the msa" so i am going to have a rock star party-- the friday before we test we are all (kids too) dressing up like rockstars to motivate them- i made them each bookmarks that say their name and the slogan. so i plan to have a rockstar party-- karaoke machine, concert style foods (nachos, pizza bites, etc...) give them inflatable microphones for treats, etc. and a guitar cake or cupcakes that say "we rocked the msa". i dont want to give away too much about the final day to them because then they will just be crazy about it. i am hoping that my 3 homeroom moms will help me get a karaoke machine, etc. should be so fun!
    as a side note....id love to do outdoor activities, but my school is huge (we have 18 fifth grade homerooms plus 4th and 6th grade--725 kids approx) and the outdoor time has to be carefully planned in accordance with when other grades are testing, etc. so as not to disturb others...so that idea wont work. :-(
    thanks for the ideas we've shared so far...keep them coming!!

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008

LOVE the Rock the Test idea. I'm going to try and steal it. Surely someone has a karaoke machine at home? Don't they sell them at toy stores? I'm going to go look right now.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

We are in the middle of testing right now. Yesterday we flew paper airplanes and had hot wheels cars races (Newton's Laws review) We also launched our rocket ($16 WalMart) They really enjoyed it. I do a lot of forensics activies in science. Between behavior and time we haven't done many this year, so we are doing several of those this week after testing. They always enjoy those.

10. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 14, 2008

We had state testing this week. When we were done, we played outside, watched movies and - the biggest hit - painted. I put butcher paper on the walls, put the kids in groups of two, and let them have at it. It was messy but awesome.

As an added bonus, now I have bright, beautiful artwork covering my walls. We had to take down or cover just about every poster, word wall and piece of student work prior to the test, so the classroom was looking a bit institutional. Now, when the students come back on Monday, they'll be so happy to see so much color! And it doesn't hurt that we have parent conferences next week. I can't wait for the moms and dads to see their kids' creations.