Fun/Academic club ideas for after school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.Literature, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 17, 2018

I want to hear some fun/interesting ideas you guys might have

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 19, 2018

An ASL (American Sign Language) club, including lessons on Deaf culture.

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

I personally do a robotics club and of course the theater guild. Both are exceptionally fun.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 19, 2018

I'm not teaching yet but when I was in high school (a million years ago LOL) we had a Live Poets Society. The movie Dead Poets Society had been out for about a year and my English teacher loved it, the school wouldn't let us use the word "dead" though. We would get dressed up and meet up at different tea rooms in our area and discuss poetry. It really was a lot of fun.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 19, 2018

I started a digital storytelling club last year - short movies using traditional video, green screen, stop motion, etc. - and had a blast. The kids really enjoyed it too. :) We spent a lot of last year figuring things out, learning tools, that kind of thing so I'm really excited to come back next year with a clearer, slightly more ambitious plan.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Upsadaisy and txbelle like this.
  7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

When I was in middle school, I always looked forward to attending special presentations by the school librarian and teachers who spoke about their travels and hobbies: slideshow travelogues, scuba diving, skiing, etc. So, during my last year on the job, I gave presentations for the after-school program showing slides of my travels: South America countries, China, Hong Kong, Mexico, Turkey, Pacific Northwest, Canada. Teachers who like to travel can easily create engaging slide shows of their summer experiences. Such presentations serve to provide a glimpse of the outside world and are especially fascinating to underprivileged kids.

Obadiah and Linguist92021 like this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 30, 2018

I thought of this the other day while driving. It was one of those moments when out of nowhere an idea pops into my head. I was wondering about student created magazines. Within a school, students (and teachers, too) have many varied interests that they could write about. Today's technology could enhance this to include photos and illustrations. Perhaps a core group of writers and editors could develop the schoolwide magazine and other students (and teachers) could contribute articles. Just thinking back to my classrooms, I've had students with strong (and I mean, strong) interests in karate, nature, traveling the U.S. and even the world, history, medical science, music, acting, farming, and many other hobbies and experiences.