Fully credentialed w/experience, no references-how to overcome this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wuttadeal, Sep 9, 2010.

1. wuttadeal

wuttadeal Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

Brief background--I first got my elementary license in 1988, with secondary language arts endorsement. I student taught middle school language arts, then taught K-2 at an acredited private school for 5 years, and one year 6-8 language arts at the same school. I resigned my position to be at home with my kids. For 15 years, I was either not employed or self-employed. In 2008, I became a licensed sub in our very large school district. I got my license up to date and have taken 3 classes toward my master's degree.

I can supply transcripts, and personal references. I am very involved in volunteering in my community and am a local elected official, so I have some great personal/professional references there. However, I have *no* references from anyone who is a certified teacher or administrator that says they have observed me and I really can teach a class!

Even with the internet, I cannot locate my private school administrator. And I found out this week that my college discarded their placement files 5 years ago--that file had all my observations from student teaching, references from teachers who mentored me, and recommendations from my college professors. [As a side note, they said they notified everyone at their last known address. I did not receive a notice, but even though I've moved several times, they seem to be able to keep finding me to ask for money for their scholarship fund!]

Subbing offers little, if any, opportunities to interact with school administrators. I am requested a lot by teachers, but they have never actually seen me teach. I don't get to teach much with subbing anyway. Our district does not have building subs--it's just the luck of the draw with SmartFind automated.

Any thoughts for how to overcome this? I am fully qualified and have experience, but need to figure out how to get through the HR screeners of electronic applications.

:):thanks:

Diana

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2010

I was in a similar boat when I moved to another state and most of my references from PA didn't stay in touch. Honestly, my best recommendation DID come from subbing. I spent a lot of time in one school district and chatted with the principals about my experiences in their classrooms. They were honest that they were not able to hire me, so the high school principal was happy to serve as my keystone reference (it's one of the best districts in the state so his name carries weight).

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2010

I was in a similar situation - 15 years at home and my ex principal and superintendent and asst. supt. were dead or retired or driven out of the district under protest. Subbing helped me get back into things. A LTS got me a recommendation from a principal. I also had an awesome letter from my pastor ( I had been the Christian Ed director). He had also been a school board member years before. I also worked on getting continuing ed hours to get me back up to speed. Don't be shy when you sub. Try to meet the P each day and maybe even request that they come in and observe. I took Praxis tests in middle level to become certified in several areas. I also found that fewer people want to work in a middle school. You can do it!

5. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Sep 10, 2010

Maybe you could volunteer to help in a classroom and that way you will have a current and certified teacher observe you? And if it's at a school you want to work in you could put a lesson together and maybe have the Principal or someone in hiring power to also observe you?

6. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

I had letters from my professors when I first started back. I too took time off to have kids and had to take some classes to get my license back. I also had tutored for a small company so I had that letter, and two from my professors.

7. wuttadeal

wuttadeal Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! Those are all great ideas. I did apply for one job at a middle school where I know the principal fairly well, although he has not seen me teach, either. Either way, I will work on finding opportunities to be observed to get some current references.

:)

Diana

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2010

Have you volunteered in your own kids' classrooms? The teachers or administrators who know you as a volunteer might be willing to provide references.
    Subbing can lead to LTS positions - in those positions you would have more responsibility and administrator interaction- keep an eye open for such jobs...we have three teachers who will be out on leave soon.