Full Time Vs. Subbing?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AngelEyes, Oct 24, 2006.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Ok, so now that I've got my license I'll be able to begin subbing soon. I have been thinking about whether or not to continue subbing or to bid on a full time job, and I was wondering if there are pros/cons for both sides you might share that I may not have thought of before. I always thought I'd want my own class, but subbing is starting to sound really good to me! Not nearly as much planning is required, that's for sure!

There is a huge shortage of subs in my county and I know several teachers who have trouble finding good subs. Subbing pays almost as much as teaching (about $20 per day difference) and I can gain seniority if I sub 130 days a year. I could take days off that I need to for my kids, training opportunities or just when I've had enough LOL The teachers here can request their own subs so I figure I could likely get into a couple schools and get to know the kids and the environment/rules/etc. pretty well so that I wouldn't necessarily be going into new territory every day. In other words, there's a really good chance that I could work the same two schools nearly every day (1 middle school, 1 elementary).

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful! :confused:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2006

With the way the job market is, subbing is often a neccesity and not just an in the meantime thing. I say send out those resumes monthly and apply all over the place for that full time job, but in the meantime in order to survive definitely sub and place your name on as many lists as possible so that you will have more of a chance of working every day. Subbing is not a guarantee that you will work every day, so it is essential to apply to large districts.

Subbing is definitely good classroom experience, although it really does not compare to being a full time teacher, making up lessons, and all the extras that are involved with teaching. It is however, a good way to see the routine of a classroom teacher and pick up some good ideas along the way.

Good Luck.

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 24, 2006

I think MissFrizzle said it all, however, I'd just like to point out that you may not receive any benefits as a Substitute Teacher. There are SOME districts and states that offer benefits to Substitute Teachers, but not all do. So, you have to decide if benefits are important or if you can live without.

If benefits are important to you then strive for permanent work as a Teacher while you sub. If not, then just sub and see where that gets you after awhile. You can always start applying for permanent work down the road.

5. holliday

holliday Comrade

Oct 25, 2006

Subbing is also a good way to get an inside look at schools you are interested in applying to in order to find out if you really would want to work there!

Plus, you can get in good with principals as a sub which pays off during interview time...