FTCE vs. Praxis?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by mooisrunner5, May 26, 2016.

1. mooisrunner5

mooisrunner5 Rookie

May 26, 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure it's rare that someone here has taken both the Florida FTCE and the Praxis exams, but I was hoping to piece together some feedback. I am trying to decide between two certification programs - Teach Now and Teacher Ready - and the type of test I have to take is a major factor as I am overseas and getting back to the US to take the three FTCE exams would be difficult.

Anyways, I was wondering which series of tests is generally considered more difficult than the other? I know that it is all relative, but I've read somewhere that you only have to get 56% of the test questions correct on the FTCE to pass. But, the Praxis is more widely available and (from what I've heard) have good study materials.

So, if you had a choice, which exams would you prefer to take and why?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

3. history

history Companion

May 26, 2016

Runner
    I am a graduate of Teacher Ready and I am currently working a few FTCE exam and I can tell you that the required passing score is much higher than " 50"
    As far as which is recognized by more states. I would say praxis is as FTCE is a Florida exam only.

4. KDav

KDav Guest

Jun 29, 2016

I am currently studying for the FTCE exams and I am from PA, but also living overseas and back in the US to take the exams. I have a few colleagues from overseas that have completed Teacher Ready and have since moved back to the states and they have told me that Florida's tests are the most difficult (not 100% sure about this), but also they can transfer to any state since they are considered the highest/hardest tests. Whereas some states you need to take their tests, my friend moved to AZ from MI and her Florida certification overrode any tests she would have needed to take, because she passed the FTCE exams.

5. history

history Companion

Jul 2, 2016

Kdav
    As i said previously I am a graduate of teacher ready. Do believe everything you hear. While there is a.large amount of States that accept teacher ready grad not all States will accept the ftce. Some require that you worked 3 years under the cert in fla or take That States exam.