FTCE support group 2014

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RisingFromAshes, Mar 19, 2014.

1. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Mar 19, 2014

This forum is excellent support for educators/aspiring educators. I thought that since the information available for the FTCE exams are limited at best that we might want to pool our resources and help support each other.

Especially since many of the tests are changing this year and prep guides have yet to catch up.

In 2014 I'm planning to take the GK test, English 6-12, ESL, and Professional education. (More may be added at a later date)

I'll try to post the resources that are helpful to me on here.

What tests are you trying to conquer? What have you been using to prep?

3. history

history Companion

Mar 30, 2014

I am worried about passing the math and reading section of the GK test. The test will change come May2014 and they added a new set of different type of questions they may ask about the passages. I think a study center (with computers , to give you the actual feeling of taking the test) or school that employs teachers in each field that are familiar with the tests would be a great help. You have a great idea about a forum covering this , but for some reason teachers on the blog feel that test takers should pass the reading with no problem. It does not make a difference to them that the time to take the test is way to short or the length of the reading sections are to long, but that is life .:whistle:

4. IntlTeacher

IntlTeacher New Member

Apr 7, 2014

I am also pretty concerned about the new tests, given the lack of updated study materials out there. Does anyone know how different they will be from the older tests? Will need to take the General Knowledge, PK-3, Professional Ed., and ESOL exams.

5. history

history Companion

Apr 7, 2014

First of all, the general knowledge will change in May and as far as the rest there are ample study guides. If you are going to take the ESOL, I sure hope you have a degree in LA or have taken the LA course work. You are able to take the exam, but the school districts will not hire you for ESOL if you do not have the above mentioned requirements.

6. ISA2014

ISA2014 Rookie

Apr 16, 2014

FTCE as of MAY 1, 2014-does anyone have any insight

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum and I am wondering if anyone has any insight on the new FTCE as of MAY 1, 2014 specifically the elementary education k-6 test.

I am wondering about the passing scale. With the previous version it was graded as a whole, how does the new version differ? I am wondering if I should try and take the previous version by April 30.

Can someone help me interpret this:
    A scaled score of at least 200 per subtest; examinees must pass all 4 subtests to pass this test

Thank you!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2014

For all the teacher tests with which I'm acquainted, a test that one can sign up for as a unit unto itself - a subtest in the case of California's tests and most states' basic-skills tests, a test in the case of, say Praxis 6161 or Connecticut's Foundations of Language - is passed as a whole.

Florida's tests are administered by Pearson; Pearson tests normally are scored on a scale from 100 to 300. If Florida's K-6 test is now being given in subtests, that means that one must pass each of those subtests in order to pass the whole thing. That's a change from the current system, in which one passes or doesn't pass the whole thing. The up side is that a test taker can probably sign up for just one subtest at a time, and subtests generally test only a specific range of the subject matter: for instance, California's CSET-MS consists of three subtests, and the test taker who takes them one at a time can focus on just reading & languages arts plus history OR just science plus math OR just PE plus human development plus arts.

8. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 1, 2014

I just took the GK exam yesterday and the Reading was a little brutal. I read fast (I mean really fast) but it pushed my limits a bit. I can see now why a lot of people are complaining.

The practice tests in the FTCE GK cliff notes manual were pretty much spot on except in the practice test there were 4 passages instead of 5. When a 5th passage popped on the screen I literally growled at the computer. If you use those practice tests though, you get really familiar with the style of test and questions. I anticipated the types of questions they would ask while I was reading the passage. I think THAT is what helped me the most. It cut down on time when answering the questions. My reading speed stayed the same.

9. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 1, 2014

I haven't heard any updates and it might be a situation where we're the guinea pigs. I don't think any study guides are slated to come out until 2015. Just in time to be completely unhelpful. We might have to use older resources and compile supplemental guides to account for the changes.

I still need to take the English 6-12, ESOL, and Prof. Ed exams, so I'll post any resources I find/create for those.

I was considering doing elementary K-6, but I'm transferring my certification to Michigan and there is NO WAY any district here would hire me for elementary ed without an elementary ed. degree. There are thousands of elementary teachers here who have been unemployed for years. I am tempted to take the test just in case though.

10. history

history Companion

May 1, 2014

You forgot that the test is changing in May and their will be different type of questions asked. Yes, the new Cliff Notes guide does not come out until 2015 (which is totally useless)but in the meanwhile I found a program that offers a course in preparing for the GK exam. Did you pass the reading? If you are not going to apply for a job in Florida and you are going to another state, you will have to take all their tests also.

11. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 6, 2014

Nope, I didn't forget that the test is changing. In fact, I was so worried about it that I scheduled my test for April 30th and hoped for the best. God was merciful and I passed, including the reading. I do know a bunch of people here are struggling to find out information about the new GK. Even though I've taken it, I'm going to keep asking around to see if anyone's heard anything so I can post it here. I don't know how they expect anyone to prepare effectively if they don't have all the resources.

I'm in the same boat for the other tests. English 6-12 changed in March and I'm desperate for feedback or a study guide recommendation. Right now I'm just using Elmer's English resources in the forum. I'm not sure about ESOL or the Prof. Ed. test. I hope they haven't changed as well.

I am transferring the cert back to Michigan, but when I talked to Michigan's DOE they said that as long as I held the full Florida professional certification (not a temp or a provisional) then it should transfer fine without retesting. Even if that's not the case, retesting is a much better option for me than $20,000 and 2 more years of schooling. I already did that for my Masters degree.

12. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 6, 2014

That's wonderful news! Is it online or on-campus? Would you mind sharing more details about it? I still have a few friends who are taking it later this year and I'm sure there are a few people on the forum that would love to hear about it.

13. history

history Companion

May 6, 2014

FAU IN Boca Raton

14. fill4

fill4 Rookie

Jun 9, 2014

I took the new reading GKT. It flat out sucked... I compare it to SAT test. It was so much more difficult than the previous test. I have no idea why FTCE would change this test to make it almost impossible to pass.

15. history

history Companion

Jun 9, 2014

It probably was just like a literature test. The only way change will happen is if people call the state and complain.

16. fill4

fill4 Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

I am still waiting on my results and unfortunately my job is on the line that I absolutely LOVE!! When I took the test the second time I missed it by 1 question and about cried. This new test, I left the testing center crying knowing I failed it. I have a masters degree in ESE from another state and this just blows my mind. (Florida is making me take the GKT). I pray I pass by some crazy baseline curve the state is trying to figure out.

17. history

history Companion

Jun 10, 2014

I hope things work out. It is even tougher for a person that has their job on the line. The state would make you take the GK (usually) if you have only about a year of teaching experience under your cert from another state or the state you come from is not given that much acceptance. I seriously doubt the state will put a curve on the test. There are some people on this blog that believe the GK is basic and everyone should pass with no problem. I believe the reading portion ( being it is on a computer ) has turned out to be a literature exam and the time allowed is too limited. Where ins Florida are you located?

18. fill4

fill4 Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

I received my score last night and PASSED!!! Whew! I can breathe and sleep finally.

19. history

history Companion

Jun 11, 2014

Fil,
    Way to go! Do you think by taking a prep course on the reading section of the GK (practice is done on the computer) will help you pass?

20. fill4

fill4 Rookie

Jun 12, 2014

The 20 mins a day comprehension book helped the most. I am not a strong reader so remembering all the simple rules I have forgotten.

21. car0lina

car0lina Rookie

Jun 30, 2014

How did it go?

Did you take your exams yet? I'm taking the ESOL as well, along with Eng 6-12. Based on your screen name, I'm guessing you aren't looking to be hired by "the school districts," eh? I'm teaching internationally as well. Best of luck!

22. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

Congratulations!! That's wonderful news!

23. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

I'm currently studying for both ESOL and ENG 6-12 as well. I considered getting one of the older prep books, but I'm not sure how helpful they would be on the new test. What have you been using to study?

Here's the materials that I've compiled so far for ENG 6-12.

So far I have:

Online-
    FTCE English 6-12 competencies 5th edition
    http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/Englis..._DOE100913.pdf
    Elmer's English Notes (Amazingly detailed and in the forum)
    FTCE English Study guide Glog by Tehescmarts (forum member)
    http://tehescmarts.edu.glogster.com/english-literature/
    Sparknotes

Books recommended through forum-
    Norton Anthologies-English, American, African American
    How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster

Books included in FTCE competencies bibliography-
    Essentials of English Grammar by L. Baugh
    The English Teacher's companion by Jim Burke
    Reading and Responding in the Middle Grades by Lee Galda

I didn't include any materials on teaching essay writing or linguistics. I teach ESL and Writing classes at a college, so I'm thinking I should devote more time to my weaker areas.

I'm considering applying internationally as well, since the market in Michigan is dismal. I was told that I need at least two years experience post-certification in the states before applying, so we'll see how that goes.

24. car0lina

car0lina Rookie

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks for the info! Generally speaking, it's true that the top tier schools want two years experience, but don't let that stop you from applying if you're interested. There are still jobs available to you- they might not be in your first choice of location, but it's only temporary, and at least you're seeing the world, right? ;)

I've been using the same materials you mentioned. I can't take the exams until I get back to the States in September.

25. Nelly123

Nelly123 New Member

Jul 14, 2014

FTCE k-6

I am taking the FTCE k-6 exam tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I've been studying a lot and I feel ok about taking it. Hopefully the new revised version is easier than the one before. Any words of advice about the exam?

26. history

history Companion

Jul 15, 2014

What is out there for the ESE SAE?

I am trying to find a prep class offered for the ESE SAE in the Palm Beach area?

27. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Is the updated Elementary Education K–6 FTCE in effect? Based on the NESINC website, it appears the test is not being officially released until September, based on the score report delays.

regardless, all of the new tests are designed to be more challenging.

28. history

history Companion

Jul 24, 2014

Help! with the ESE SAE

I am trying to figure which is the best course of action to pass the ESE exam if I have never took the courses offered to Education Majors. I have come up with the following choices:
    1. REA study guide
    2.http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...s_course/foundationsPilot/bcg.htm&h=aAQHw88NT
    3. Sample tests from the following person even though he had one feedback claiming he needed to up date his material. http://www.proprofs.com/store/search.php?search=ftce+ese&alertbox=1
    If you know of any other way please let me know,but I would also appreciate your feedback

29. rapple

rapple Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

history ~ Have you read or studied any texts regarding exceptional children? I had to study Exceptional Child for Psychology and it's a common textbook that contains quite a bit of information. You could possibly find it at your local library. For my credential, we had to acquire quite a bit of knowledge on exceptional child - you might also find much of this subject covered in teaching textbooks at your library. I would also print off the competencies and starting with the first one, build your own study guide. I have found that many study guides for these state tests (I've taken 7 in two states!), are not specific to the guides but general knowledge of the subject. Florida's test seem very specific to the competencies listed on their site, so building your own study guide might be your most effective use of time and energy.

On floe's website, this is the first competency on the test guide: 1."Identify state and federal legislation and case law that have affected the education of students with disabilities." Just looking at this question, I would research IDEA 2004, ADA, and specific Florida laws pertaining to disabilities. The US Department of Education has quite a bit of information on disabilities and rights. On amazon's website there are numerous books covering just this subject. Have you taken the PET? My PET book from CliffNotes listed a lot of case laws.

I hope this helps you realize that you could probably build your own study guide for this test and in the process of researching for your personal study guide, you would learn the subject! And who knows? You could possibly sell the study guide when you're done :)

30. history

history Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I appreciate the help but iam limited on the amount of time that could put a study guide together. Do you know of any other study guides or the practice that I found on pro prof site?

31. rapple

rapple Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

This site has a few resources…but I don't know how well they prepare. Sorry :(
    ww.usedcollegebooks.net/ftce-books/ftce-exceptional-student-education-test

32. history

history Companion

Jul 26, 2014

Rapple,
    I appreciate the information. I looked over the link you sent me and I was wondering how up to date those guides were. That is the problem with the state, they keep changing the tests to many times.

33. Gracechild

Gracechild New Member

Nov 13, 2014

Has anyone found additional help

34. jah74

jah74 Rookie

Nov 19, 2014

Any information on the Professional Test? I take it next Saturday!

35. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

Jah,

How did you do? What did you study? This is my next and last exam and wondering what the best study guides are for it. TIA!!