FTCE Subject Area Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Katie, May 12, 2005.

1. Tammie

Tammie New Member

Jul 12, 2007

Thank you Boricua. I wish you well on your test too!

2. nic7692

nic7692 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

professional education exam

I am getting ready to take the Florida professional education exam, I am wondering if this was a difficult exam? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. Tammie

Tammie New Member

Jul 14, 2007

I am taking the k-6 test monday.. will let you know

4. boricua

boricua Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Hi ! How was the test?? I was thinking about you, I hope everything went well. I"m taking the PK- 3 this Saturday and my brain is blocked. I found a site today Elementary K-6 Online Content Review Module and its doesn't include Pk but I hope wil help me pass the test. I don't know if it happened to you but the more I study the more confussed I get. One day I knoe some and the next is ZERO. Practicing the test of the FTCE on my study guide I can't get past 176 % Am I dumb or what?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2007

You can't get past 176%?? Now I'm confused.

Seriously, though: 76% works pretty well for many teacher tests.

6. boricua

boricua Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

That score is from the practice test in my FTCE K- 6 study guide not from the real test. I read , I study I take the practice test and I take the practice test that' all I get 173 or 176, from 226 questions is not a passing score.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2007

Oh, okay, so the "%" was the typo.

Hm. Could be you're overthinking the questions at this point. Are you the sort of person who changes a multiple choice answer because "it can't be that simple", only to find that the original answer was correct?

8. boricua

boricua Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Probably you are right. All I know that at this point I feel frustated .I want to be positive because I'm always telling others to be but I just can't applied to myself.
    I will try to do my best.I'm praying a lot .

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2007

Have you tried working through Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day? It might help with the test issues.

10. boricua

boricua Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE ONES THAT ARE TAKING THE SAE PK-3 OR THE FTCE K-6 TOMORROW SATURDAY 21, 2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Shontasue1

Shontasue1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Not sure if this is the right forum, took the K-6 FTCE and I remembering a question about the most important thing about Florida history or something. What are they looking for or where can I find the answer.

12. trudym

trudym Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

help please, hannah!

Any way you could email me that study guide as well, I'm having trouble finding a good study guide for pk-3. Let me know- I have no idea how to PM or I would have done that instead...

Thanks!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

Welcome to A to Z, trudym.

It's possible that you're still a bit too new to be allowed to send private messages, but here's how you'd send me one: Click on my name in blue at the top left of this message. That will open a little menu with several options beginning with "View public profile of TeacherGroupie"; if you've been around for a little while and have enabled private messages via the User Control Panel, one of the options should be "Send a private message to TeacherGroupie." Click on that, and there you go.

Let me belatedly answer Shontasue1's question. A constructed response or essay question that asks for the most important event in a state's history is probably less interested in the event chosen by a test taker (because people of goodwill can differ) than in how the test taker supports her choice.

14. trudym

trudym Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

thanks!

Thanks TG...

I am studying a guide for k-6 as well as reviewing the competencies on the website for pk-3 (googling terms, etc.) and checking here for clues. Luckily a good friend of mine just passed it (it took her 4 tries- bless her heart!) so I have her study material as well.

It's my first try and I'd like to pass the first time around so I don't have to wait and keep subbing for another couple of months.

Trudy

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

trudym, are you generally a fairly good test taker?

16. trudym

trudym Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I would consider myself to be a good test taker, especially when I make notecards and study them like crazy. I find that to be the best way to memorize the information, from there I can study on how the terms and theories relate to what I'll actually be doing....

That's the plan :)

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

You sound like someone who's going to do just fine, then.

18. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

trudym - Did you try going to www.fldoe.org to get a study guide? I used this study guide and past the exam the first time. It really gives you an idea of what you can expect. My suggestion is not to over-think the questions. Best of luck!!! :)

19. boricua

boricua Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I PASSED THE PK-3 TEST !!!! THANKS to GOD AND TWO GOOD FRIENDS THAT HELPED ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

Congratulations, boricua!

21. trudym

trudym Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

help w/ a pk-3 competency

Can anyone guide me with this:

Identify strategies for designing and implementing instructional practices to support typically and atypically developing young children

I was thinking of going to the library to see if they had any early childhood education books (or textbooks) to try and look up the PK info for this test. I can't believe they don't make a book for a studyguide! GRRR!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
    Trudy

22. boricua

boricua Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

23. teachergirl

teachergirl Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

I am having trouble passing the k-6 FTCE exam can anyone help?

24. boricua

boricua Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

My advice is to take the PK-3 test, it's easier ,you can get your certification and then you can have more time to study for the other. That dubject area test is hard, thta's what I did.

25. teachergirl

teachergirl Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

Boricua,

Thanks for the advice.:thanks:

26. ALOVEFORTEACHIN

ALOVEFORTEACHIN Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

I never took the Pre K-3 test, but I did take and pass the K-6 test and passed. I bought a book called the best teachers guide and it included a cd with sample tests try that it worked for me.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2007

teachergirl, can you identify problem areas?

28. S.Florida Tutor

S.Florida Tutor New Member

Dec 19, 2007

Do you have any idea how different the K-3 and K-6 SAE are?

29. lovelylbb99

lovelylbb99 Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

They are very different

The Pre-K to 3rd test is common questions about situations kind of like the professional test. I took the Pre-K to 3rd grade it once and I passed it right away. I took the Professional on the computer and passed it the first time on computer but took professional on paper about 3 or 4 times so it was my 4 or 5th try.

The K-6 test has different subjects. I think the section are math, reading, english, history, science and I think that is all but if I'm wrong anybody tell me. I took it once and I didn't pass and I haven't taking it again.

30. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

I think the K-6 also has music and pe info on it too but its been a few years since I took it.

31. vivi513

vivi513 Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

K-3

Hi! What books did you use to study for the K-3?

32. andbel

andbel Rookie

May 17, 2008

I'm a little confused

I live in Florida, and just started working toward my BA in teaching - I'm taking courses at Univ of Phoenix, and was told by my Ed Counselor that I needed to take the FTCE before proceeding into my teaching courses? I'm a bit confused, b/c it looks as though most are almost done if not already done and just now taking the cert? Maybe he meant the General knowledge test? If anyone can clarify, let me know! thanks!

33. andbel

andbel Rookie

May 17, 2008

I live in Florida, and just started working toward my BA in teaching - I'm taking courses at Univ of Phoenix, and was told by my Ed Counselor that I needed to take the FTCE before proceeding into my teaching courses? I'm a bit confused, b/c it looks as though most are almost done if not already done and just now taking the cert? Maybe he meant the General knowledge test? If anyone can clarify, let me know! thanks!

34. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 18, 2008

He probably means the General Knowledge test which used to be the CLAST. The test is rather easy and you can get the study guide from Amazon or your local bookstore.

Good luck!
    Tim :)

35. la maestra

la maestra New Member

May 26, 2008

SAE STUDT MATERIALS

GREETINGS Chrissy,

I need help...I am new to the site and plan on taking the SAE soon. I would like to know what study materials you used to pass the SAE????:help:

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, la maestra. Is it the K-6 exam that you're facing?

37. andbel

andbel Rookie

May 27, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I figured that would have to be it. I will double check with him to be sure. Thanks for your response.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2008

There are differences among the various states' tests in how they're organized and what specific emphases may be, but there are broad similarities. You might find that the threads about CSET, Praxis II elementary education, or TExES elementary education exams may contain helpful information.

Whether standard prep books are helpful is an open question, and varies from test taker to test taker.

Are there specific subject areas that have you worried?

39. Ms Lisa

Ms Lisa New Member

Jun 15, 2008

SAE - English 6-12

Hello, I wanted to let you all know that I was very nervous about taking the SAE English 6-12 in Florida this past April, but was comforted by reading through this discussion thread. I passed -- yay! -- on my first attempt and would like to share a few pointers for anyone who may be facing this intense two-hour process.

1. It was well worth the $5 to purchase this practice exam:

fl.nesinc.com/FL_testprep.asp

Many questions were of identical composition, using different examples.

2. Review Literary terms and literary devices:

virtualsalt.com/litterms.htm

mrbraiman.home.att.net/lit.htm

3. Know the difference between words that are coined, blended and borrowed.

4. Memorize poetry terms, as in metrics and the different styles (sonnet, ode, villanelle, etc.)

5. Review teaching approaches: holistic, venn diagrams, etc. and then follow the instructions on this thread indicating go with common sense that benefits the student.

6. Review the method for teaching writing in Florida, which goes something like:

write 1st draft, receive feedback, rewrite, publish. (yeah, if it were only that easy!)

7. Familiarize yourself with literary classics that have been banned in the past, as well as books about the banning of them.

8. Recognize that "There are more girl than boy in this room" is a grammatical error, not a spelling error.

9. Know the difference between "there," "their," "they're"; "its," "it's"; "whose," "who's". There is a whole section of sentences that you need to find the correct or incorrect sentence. Verb subject agreements are among them, as well.

10. Also, it helped tremendously to review literary movements, as there are questions that pertain to prominent authors in an historical context.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_movement

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_literature

11. There is a good post on this thread that details how to write the essay. You're given the choice (at least I was) between a story and a poem. Write an FCAT essay, with an introduction with a thesis statement, three paragraphs referencing the thesis statement, and a conclusion. The essay requires quotations from the story or the poem, so know how to quote.

Well, that's about all I remember. I really didn't think I passed because about 40% of the test is on teaching approaches and in many instances I just guessed. My respect for teachers has been considerably elevated going through this process. I hope I have been of some assistance.

Best of luck!
    Ms. Lisa

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2008

Please don't reveal specific actual test questions: the forum has rules about that (see the WARNING at the top of this page), and there are very good reasons for them. That aside, Ms Lisa, you've given fine advice.