FTCE Subject Area Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Katie, May 12, 2005.

1. G8trKim

G8trKim Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Oops!

Oops, I definitely know the difference. I guess I was just typing so frantically. Thanks for pointing that out... I can't believe I did that! :eek:

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Don't you hate it when you do something like that? (And don't mind me: I sort of can't help proofreading.)

Teacher tests establish that you have a minimum level of knowledge. Good principals will be looking for more than the minimum, and I should think they know better than to look to the test to provide it. In your case, you don't have the transcripts - so you show what you've got in the interviews. You show what transfers from your prior life to teaching, and you show how you're dealing with the parts of teaching for which there isn't an exact analogue from your prior life.

3. naplestchr

naplestchr New Member

Jun 29, 2006

Hi everyone... I'm looking for a very brief guide to the K-6 exam... I checked out the links in this thread and couldn't find one that worked... anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks!

4. saana

saana Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Hi Everybody, Today I Passed My Qoputeer Version Sae Middle Grade Math.just 2 More To Go .wish Me Good Luck.

5. saana

saana Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

OOPS I MAKE SPELLING MISTAKE that is COMPUTER VERSION.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

Congratulations, saana! I know you were very concerned about passing. Please make sure you celebrate - and please don't forget that NObody passes tests like this through sheer luck: you have accomplished something here!

And not to worry about the mistake (which was typing, not spelling - don't you hate it when your fingers are on the wrong keys?) Are you aware that you can fix a post afterward? At the bottom of your own posts, once you've submitted them, you should see three links: edit, reply w/quote, and quick reply. If you click on edit, you'll see a version of your message in which you can fix things. Then submit the edited version using the Save Changes button below the message box.

7. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

Yay Saana! I'm so happy for you. Way to go!

8. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

Good for you......yeppeeee!!!!!

9. misstdoll

misstdoll New Member

Jul 2, 2006

FTCE - MIddle School Math 5-9

Hi have purchased the 5 dollar study guide provided by the FTCE office and have also purchased the book "FTCE Secrets" I would like to know if there is anything else I shouldlook into before taking the test on July 22. I really and trully need to pass this test for a number of reasons; I am kind of nervous and afraid that I might fail. Is there any Math teachers out there that may be of help with some great advice and guidance to my success.

Please HELP.

10. misstdoll

misstdoll New Member

Jul 2, 2006

Sudy Partner - FTCE Math 5-9

Is there anyone out there that would like a study partner for the FTCE Middle School Math 5-9. It would be nice to have a study partner.
    PLEASE hit me up if you are interested.

misstdoll@hotmail.com

In the Subject area of the email please type:

"Sudy Partner - FTCE Math 5-9"
    :thanks:

11. enniferjay

enniferjay Rookie

Jul 2, 2006

Very helpful online handbook!!!

Hi! I'm new here and just wanted share with all of you studying for the FTCE this wonderful handbook I found online. It is a handbook put out by the Chicago Public Schools that goes into great detail about language, reading and spelling development. I found the information about language arts in this handbook to be much more helpful than some of the test prep guides I've been reading. Plus, it could serve as a good guide for teaching reading and spelling once you pass the test and get a teaching job. This forum is not allowing me to post the link, so I'll just do my best to tell you how to get there: google k-2 handbook chicago public schools. Once you find the site, make sure to click on "K-2 Handbook" in the blue bar on the left side. Hope this helps and good luck!

12. adria

adria Comrade

13. Mrs.Goble

Mrs.Goble Rookie

Jul 2, 2006

Mooge123.

I found the XAM English 5-9 very helpful. I past the test and it totally prepared me for what they expect on the essay.

I just passed the General Knowledge subtests and found them very easy. I didn't study for those because a lot of my co-workers said it was very common sense. I just found it to be basic knowledge stuff.

July 22nd I will be taking the GK essay and the Professional. I think I will be fine with the essay, but I am a little uneasy about the Professional. I was not an education major and find this to be my downfall.

14. Mrs.Goble

Mrs.Goble Rookie

Jul 2, 2006

I found the XAM English 5-9 very helpful. I passed the test and it totally prepared me for what they expect on the essay.

SORRY! I COULDN'T SAY I TEACH ENGLISH AND LEAVE THAT LIKE THAT. :)

15. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

I passed all of the required test to become certified..I am taking the GK in July..I don't know why but I am afraid of the GK...thanks for saying it's common sense..I feel somewhat confident..

16. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

Mrs. Goble. I also took and passed the middle grades english sae, the k-6 sae, and the professional ed. test. IMHO, the professional ed. test was the easiest of them all. BTW, just wanted to let you know that you can edit your post if you make a typo (there's an "edit" button at the bottom of your post). I'm always correcting mine :)

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Editing posts? You and me both, frodolass.

enniferjay, thanks for mentioning that Web site! There's useful information there. The best teacher-test resources, in my opinion, are the ones that keep being useful after you're done with the test.

And adria, thanks for posting the link for us.

18. enniferjay

enniferjay Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Free online sample tests

I PASSED the Elementary Education FTCE yesterday!!! YAY!!! I was so nervous -- when I got to the end of the test (I took the computer version) and had to push "continue" to find out if pass or fail would flash on the screen, I couldn't do it. Oh, I was so relieved to see "PASS!"
    I just wanted to share another site I found to be very useful. This one is from Michigan and allows you to access ALL of their subject area sample study guides, which also include sample test questions. That way, you can look over and test yourself on the other subjects on the Elementary Education test (science, language arts, social studies, music, etc.). Again, hope this is helpful and good luck!

OK, again, this forum is not allowing me to include a link. I will tell you how to get there: google "michigan teacher certificate study guide," click on the EMU website, scroll down and click on the link under the question, "where can I get assistance in preparing to take the MTTCs?," finally click on "study guides" on the lefthand side. I hope you can find it -- and hopefully someone else can post the link.

19. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

20. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

enniferJay - Congratulations! I know just how you feel about finding out you passed at the end. I was terrified to push the button and so relieved to see the PASS.

BTW, your user name is so cute!

Good luck!

21. enniferjay

enniferjay Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Thanks!

Thanks adria for posting the link again. And CONGRATS on passing the GK math. I hope people check out the site you posted, because it does help to be able to check out sample test questions in specific areas that are on the multiple subject tests (i.e. history, science, math) -- even if the tests are from Michigan, because what I've heard is that as teacher certifiaction exams go, there's not that much difference from one state to the next.

Thanks Frodolass about the username. And, yes it feels GREAT that I passed. I have to say, though, I am mentally wiped out from all the studying I did during the days leading up to the test -- just trying to get my energy back up to prepare for the teacher recruitment fair here in Broward County in three weeks. Good luck, again, to anyone getting ready to take the exam!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

enniferjay, congratulations! Best of luck at the recruitment fair; it would probably impress the recruiters if you can find and highlight connections between the studying you've just been doing and the teaching you'll be doing.

Similarly, a good way to study for a test like this is to look for ways to build bridges from what you already know to what you need to know.

It's true that one teacher test tends to have a fair bit in common with the next. Of course, there are also differences. These arise partly from divergences in states' standards and partly from variation in test format. As long as the test taker stays aware of those differences, there should be no problem in using materials designed for other tests.

23. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats on passing the test....I do hope that you get what your heart desire at the job fair....thank God you passed the test in time that is before you went to the job fair...consider yourself highly blessed.

24. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Can anyone give their opinion on the teachingsolutions.com ftce study guide? I purchased it and have been studying the practice questions. I hope that these questions will prepare me as well as the other books and googling I have done. If anyone has used this please let me know. thanks:)

25. G8trKim

G8trKim Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Teaching Solutions

I bought it as well and it definitely helps, but it seems to be much different than the practice test provided through the testing center. I would say use it but don't focus solely on it or take too much stock in it.

26. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Have you taken the test? If so, what did you think? I am worried about the math portion as well as the others....any hints?

27. G8trKim

G8trKim Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Test

I am taking the PreK-3 SAE Saturday. Which test are you taking?

28. jess782

jess782 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

me too

I am taking th ftce pk-3 on sat also!!
    Good luck!

29. G8trKim

G8trKim Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Test on Saturday

Good luck to you also. Lots of prayers for each other. Where are you taking it? I'm in Tampa.

30. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I am taking the k6--sort of wishing that maybe I had registered for the k3.....I will be trying the k3 if I dont pass this one. I am desperate to pass this one after all of the hours of studying I have put into this test....maybe you could let me know how the k3 test is...hope you do great saturday:)

31. G8trKim

G8trKim Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I'm hoping the test goes well also. I was originally gonna take the k-6 before I realized there was the primary one available too (I don't really plan on teaching 4 or 5, at least not immediately so I went for the safer option). I will let you know how it goes. Good luck to you too.

32. Deennie

Deennie Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

SAE

Hello everyone. Of course I was Googling the SAE and came across this forum. I just took the K-6 on Sat and I am still stressing over it. I wish I had taken the computer test because 30 days seems like a long time. I was pretty confident on the first half, but the Science was more difficult then I thought. I was wondering if anyone has any good material or study guides. I bought the REA Elementary K-6 book which was just published last month. It helped me in some areas, but not in others. It claims to be the "best prep" for the SAE and all inclusive, but I did not find this to be true especially after taking the test. Also, does anyone know if the tests are different each time they are given? I remember a lot of the content and now have a base to work with should I not pass. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

33. Pannsx4

Pannsx4 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Hello Deenie. I purchased that book as well and it is ok. It is good for creating notecards of major ideas. But I agree that it is no way ALL inclusive.

I am getting ready to take the test again tomorrow so I dont really know if the test questions are the same. I hear they are different each attempt.

I just purchased a book from www.marquismediagroup.com that is pretty good a summarizing information for notecards. But also, I do not think it is all inclusive either.

The test is alot of factual knowledge and then the best approaches to teaching students and assessing students. One things I can say for sure is that you really need to make sure you read the questions. Many times I have found that one little word changes the entire structure of the question.

Knowing definitions is key to being able to dissect the question.

34. Deennie

Deennie Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Thanks. I have researched that book and they have it at the local library. Of course there is a waiting list, but they have 15 copies so I hope to get it soon. I agree with you about reading the questions carefully because I know I made a few mistakes by not doing just that. I also believe it is not enough to just memorize the definition. you have to know them cold and fully understand them because they do not question you on definitions, they want you to APPLY it. Did you find this, too? Since you are taking it again tomorrow, good luck by the way, can you let me know how different it was to the first time you took it? I have already started studying again. Do you know if it takes all 30 days for the results?

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

Application and even some synthesis, you bet. Bloom's Taxonomy rides again... there's a fine summary at http://www.answers.com/bloom's%20taxonomy, and a mnemonic on the A to Z thread on Mnemonic Devices, which I am too slain by heat and humidity to look up.

36. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

As far as the waiting goes....you can check online for your results for no fee before scores come in the mail. However, it is only a few days early ( I recommend start checking around the 20th of august and probably every day after)--but I know that any bit earlier would bring relief. Go through usf's website to find that access or the registration guide. I apologize but do not have the address.

37. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

Quick question I just took the CSET here in California. I was wondering how similar all of these state multiple/single subject tests are. Are we all taking similar test with different content area depending on the state we're in?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2006

Multiple subject exams generally deal with fairly similar content as regards the major domains (math, science, history...) The bigger differences, as far as I can tell, come with questions that relate to classroom management and teaching practice. Bear in mind that an undergraduate in California who's bent on becoming a teacher CAN'T major in education and start overtly learning the tricks of the trade, whereas undergrads in other states who want to make a relatively seamless transition to the classroom pretty much HAVE to major in education.

39. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

So in other words, being a Liberal Studies major in California is not similar to being an Education major in another state? How does a credential program lets say in Arizona differ from here in California. Is California the only state that makes us do the 5th year in order to ger credentials?

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2006

Education majors typically are learning how to teach and also, I hope, acquiring a good general education. Liberal Studies majors are supposed to be acquiring a good general education across the domains that they are expected to teach independently in California. I believe other states require the fifth year, or something like it, of those who don't major in education, though it may well be that some states have a fifth year for those who do major in ed., and apparently several state in the east mandate that new teachers acquire a master's degree in education within about five years of getting initial licensure.

Someone will doubtless correct me on at least some of this, which merely proves that TeacherGroupie doesn't know everything. (And aren't we all relieved?)