FTCE Professional Test HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by jah74, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jah74

jah74 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014

I am taking the FTCE Professional Test in two months, March 22 2014. I have the REA study guide and found some practice questions and answers online. From what I have gathered so far, the test is "common sense", "teaching practices and pedagogy".

I am worried though, because I read somewhere that they redid the test and its not so much common sense teaching anymore, its more of opinion and there really isn't a real way of studying for that.

If anyone has taken this test already, please let me know how the test was and any studying tips or materials you suggest. THANKS IN ADVANCE!:)

3. history

history Companion

Jan 15, 2014

Have you taken a certification course or graduated from a university with a degree in education? Either one of these groups should be able to help you. I will be taking an alternative certification program that is sponsored by the University of West Florida and part of program makes them responsible for getting me ready for the professional ed. I am faced with the same question when I start the program. You would have to figure, that schools of higher learning would want a large number of their students to pass this exam, as word of mouth affects their business and if a large number keep failing, well that can spread to.:eek:

4. frustrated007

frustrated007 New Member

Jan 18, 2014

Please Help FTCE K-6 failed x's 3

Hi everyone:

I am feeling the lowest I have felt in my life! I have failed certification exam for the 3rd time. The first time I got a 199 the 2nd time I got a 196. I re-took it this morning I don't know what my score is but I did not pass. I don't know what to do. I extremely, down in the dumps. I have several study guides that I use. How can I be that close and still not pass. Sad, part about it is I just graduated with my M.ED K-6, in Dec. I am hating myself right, now! I got proper rest, I felt good, I am frustrated, disappointed and hurt:eek:! :help::mad::dizzy:

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2014

Hugs, frustrated007. I believe the test that's giving you grief is a subject-matter test: you'll find some discussion of it, and other states' similar tests, in the Multiple Subject Tests subforum.

6. history

history Companion

Jan 18, 2014

I would contact the school in which you received your M.ED K-6 and ask them for help. I will be taking a alternative certification course that is run by a university and their main obligation is to make sure they prepare you for the professional education exam. The other exams are up to me.

7. jah74

jah74 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014

I have my B.A. in Elementary/ESE/ESOL from UWF and I took the TeacherReady Program that you are talking about from UWF as well... It has been 3 years since i got my B.A. and a year since I finished the TeacherReady Program and I am sure sooo many things have started to vanish from my memory. I was hoping for a study guide or online information that could help me find information to study from since I am not good at guessing on tests, either I knowit 100% or 0%.

8. history

history Companion

Jan 25, 2014

Jah,
    I am sorry, but I am a little confused. If you graduated from UWF with a B.A. in Elementary ESE/ESOL why would you have to take the Teacher Ready program? The TR program is for people that are non education majors. I would imagine that the school of education would get you prepared for all the required state tests and that includes the Professional Ed. exam. I happen to be a history major and I will be going for my certification in ESE, but already passed the social science 6-12. I am wondering if the TR program's course covers all the information needed to pass the profession al ed. exam or I would need only a study guide or both? When you took the ESE subject area, how difficult was it (I heard it used to be common sense, but it was changed) and what company's study guide book did you buy?

9. jah74

jah74 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014

Well technically I took the same courses the the Elem/ESE/ESOL but I never did the student teacher course so I had to go through the TeacherReady Program. I was really just trying to get advice from anyone who has taken the Professional Test after Jan 2013.

The ESE test was very easy for me, have you looked through the PDA online module?

10. history

history Companion

Jan 26, 2014

Ok, your student teacher requirement was taken care of by TR, but I thought you being an education major that it is the job of the college to get you prepared for all the test that are required to get your certification?
    What is the "PDA," module and did you ever use a study guide and if so which one? I heard the ESE is not common sense. I hope when I have a mentor for the TR program he/she can help me get ready for the exam or give advice.
    As far as study material, I would go onto TR facebook blog and ask someone or contact them directly. You may also want to send an e mail to Dr. Miller and ask her . You did graduate from UWF and the TR program.

11. jah74

jah74 Rookie

Jan 26, 2014

History,

Here is the PDA Module, Its free and its for a limited time but just keep re-registering and you will be fine. This is a great overview of the ESE world and what you need to know the the test. I also studies from the REA ESE Test.

http://www.pda-ese.org/pilot/

I send Teacher Ready an email but I will email Dr.Miller also. I am going to take the Professional Test February 15 so I have enough time to pass before May.

12. history

history Companion

Jan 26, 2014

How does the PDA compare with REA study guide and you mention taking the test before May. I have not heard about a new version coming out in May?

13. MsOpportunity

MsOpportunity Rookie

Feb 28, 2014

I took the professional exam last year. It was right when they updated the test and I didnt pass it. I was so upset because I took the courses but the new exam has a lot of ESOL questions on it and I am not very familiar with their regulations. I am going to take it tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. I hope I do better this time. I took ESOL classes from the school district and I am praying that it will help with this exam. I would suggest that you read up on ESOL policies and procedures.

14. history

history Companion

Mar 1, 2014

How did you do on the test? Were there a lot of questions on ESOL as the other poster claimed?:confused: