FTCE Professional Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by 03mikki93, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 03mikki93

03mikki93 Rookie

Feb 17, 2018

Anyone took the FTCE Professional Exam recently? I'm taking it this thursday. I have been studying by my nerves are getting the best of me.

3. Iteachalgebra

Iteachalgebra New Member

Jul 10, 2019

Hello! Did you pass it? I just took the exam for the 2nd time yesterday and failed. I feel like a failure. This is the last test I need to pass. Help please !

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2019

Hugs, Iteachalgebra. and welcome to A to Z.

About how close did you come to passing?

When you get your score report, let us know what diagnostic indicators you see and in what areas; with more information, we can probably give you better help.

5. Iteachalgebra

Iteachalgebra New Member

Jul 16, 2019

I got a 187 the first time and 193 the second try. I’m currently in another state or else I would go do the test verification. My lowest % was in competency 3 and 8.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2019

FTCE exams are Pearson exams; Pearson's scaled scores run from 100 to 300, and the official webpage for this test indicates that passing is 200 or better. That means you've come fairly close to passing.

Domain 8, which counts for 7% of available points, has to do with literacy strategies across the curriculum. The chances are good that your state department of education's content standards in English/language arts address those issues; the math and science content standards are likely to have something to say as well, since one of the emphases of Common Core math standards and NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards) is literacy in math and science, respectively. FLDOE may also have webpages, or link to websites, that discuss literacy in fields other than literacy. You could also try rummaging through FTCE's exams for secondary English and for reading instruction.

Domain 3, which counts for 18% of available points, covers "instructional delivery and facilitation through a comprehensive understanding of subject matter." I'm not sure that categorization does it justice: Domain 3 is broad, and it connects with the other domains. The sample questions online suggest ways in which this might work, so you might do well to print out the sample questions, then pick out of each question the terms in it - including in the "distractors" (that is, the wrong answers) - that you don't know cold and look them up online.

Bear in mind that one passes or doesn't pass the test as a whole: that is, a weaker performance in one domain can be compensated for by a stronger performance in another. Improving one level in a domain in which you're already pretty strong is likely to serve you as well as improving one level in a domain in which you're pretty weak.