FTCE new k-6 support for L.arts/Reading

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ISA2014, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ISA2014

ISA2014 Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

Hi everyone, well this new test really has me a little down because I failed again. I just need to pass language arts and math.
    Compared to the old version I'm great full that p.e., music, and physical education are no longer in the mix. With that said I still can't pass the language arts portion which is mostly situational instead of definitions of phonics, phonological awareness and etc. Trying to memorize the test after I've taken it doesn't work either.

Is their anyone who has passed the language arts/reading portion that has some up to date study material for this new version?

I will be taking the test again but I feel like I have exhausted all the my study matetials, from everything online study packets , library books, ftce books I've bought, the competencies, and all of your responses, can anyone help me? If you've passed this new language arts/reading portion can you tell me how you did it? Thank you.

3. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Dec 27, 2014

Hi ASA2014:

Just wondering how you did on the LA/Reading exam. Did you retest as of today? I am taking the K-6 in one week. I took the K-3/GK and passed the LA/Rdg section (experience in teaching helped). If you have never taught before, then making application can be tough.

Can you comment on the science and social studies? I hear Cliff Notes is good for LA/Math but not for science and social studies. Thanks.

4. mustang14

mustang14 New Member

Dec 27, 2014

General Knowledge Test

I passed every part of the General Knowledge test except the English part. I made a 196 on it. I really need to pass this test. Do you have any tips on the test?

5. ISA2014

ISA2014 Rookie

Dec 29, 2014

Hi teach4USA,
    Good luck with your exam, I hope you pass. I have not retaken yet. I will in the new year. I am working off the yellow cliff notes book, the quizlets websites and I printed out all the packets into a binder and made a book. I am more hopeful this time around for my L. arts/Reading.
    2015 exam as it would be a great goal achieved if I can pass and beging teaching for the 2015 school year. I only have student teaching experience which is why I am having such a hard time making application for
    L. arts/Reading.

-As for Science and Social science I feel the complete opposite when compared to L. arts/Reading, maybe they are just my stronger subjects. For me these sections were straight forward and easier to pass especially when utilizing the FDOE content module website as a study tool and the online quizlets websites, they were the best and VERY helpful.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2014

A word of caution: teacher tests tend to exist in more than one version, and emphases can vary from version to version.

Another word of caution: please do not divulge actual specific test questions. The testing companies do monitor sites on which teacher tests are discussed, and they can and do take action against sites and against individuals who have taken their tests.

7. ISA2014

ISA2014 Rookie

Dec 29, 2014

Hi TeacherGroupie,
    Thank you for the word of caution, I would hate to get in trouble or get anyone else in trouble I'll try to edit my response or you can delete it if it's to specific. Thank you again.