FTCE Middle Grades Math 5-9

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by marielw, Jun 21, 2015.

1. marielw

marielw New Member

Jun 21, 2015

Anyone have any advice for this test?

When searching the internet, it seems that math is the least popular test. (which makes sense). I recently graduated college with a degree other than in education; however, I have taken many math courses. (Up to Calc III).

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2015

Take a look at the Competencies, to make sure you're up to speed on the math content (I would expect you to be). For the pedagogy - I may be wrong, but I think one is seeing more pedagogy in FL's subject-matter tests - find Florida's state content standards in math, which should be somewhere on the FLDOE Web site, and rummage around the Web for organizations of math teachers such as NCTM, its state affiliates, and regional or county organizations: these often have useful links for the teaching of math. If there's a university nearby that has a teacher-ed program, it should stock math-pedagogy books: start by browsing required texts for prospective math teachers, and then check the general books.

Math lesson plans abound on the Web: pick a topic in math and direct your favorite browser to "lesson plans ___", where the topic goes in the blank, and you should get hits by the dozen. Feel free to refine by grade. With luck you'll see lots of unfamiliar teacherly technical terms; looking them up should uncover an additional range of helpful resources.

It's fine to consult other states' resources, organizations, and lesson plans; just keep an eye out for Florida-specific acronyms and programs in K-12 math, since you'll be expected to be able to bandy about those terms in the future even if you don't need 'em for this test now.

4. MiamiMathMan

MiamiMathMan Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Hi Marie,

I have taken the Math 5-9 and passed. You can forget about Trig and Calculus, it's nowhere on the test. Most of the FTCE books are lousy but I have several places you can get some freebies. I also have some very strong suggestions.

1. Go the FTCE website and download the Math 5-9 that is published by the state of Florida, it has a practice exam but I assure you those 30 questions are not the best indicator of the test. You want to take all 10 competencies or sections and break them apart into each single competency.

2. Alg I and Geometry will make up about 50% of the test, that's a fact based on Florida standards in their study guide. I believe Sections 6 and 7 are going to make up your Algebra and there is a solid section, 5 I believe which focuses a lot on pre-algebra.

Some free tips and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. I implore you even if you are good at math, try the YAY Math website. Robert is a L.A. County public school teacher and I found everything about this site inspiring for what I was about to take on. His videos are actually great for also gaining valuable insight in how to deliver content to students. I think all teachers of math or future teachers of math benefit from him.

Things I would absolutely know inside out and backwards...
    -Exponent rules and properties
    -Linear equations
    -Slope
    -Slope intercept
    -Rational/Irrational, simplifying
    -Inequalities
    -Graphs of Inequalities...this usually has shading between 2 lines on a graph.
    -Equation of a line
    -Square Roots
    -Perp/Parallel in relation to a line.
    -Polynomials
    -Systems of Equations
    -Quadratic Functions
    -Radicals

That is a good start for sections 6 and 7, about 25% of the test.

5. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

Is a scientific calculator and/or reference sheet (formulas) provided by the testing center? I know with some other tests they are but I'm not sure about math 5-9. Thank you in advance.

6. MiamiMathMan

MiamiMathMan Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

You will receive a 4 function calculator and an erasable magic marker like pad of laminated papers. No reference sheets.

7. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Ok thank you.

8. marielw

marielw New Member

Jul 21, 2015

Thank you everyone for the help! I will refer to this often

9. deborah91

deborah91 New Member

Sep 9, 2015

Ftce math

I took the test today. Did not pass. The guide book is sooo misleading and so are the concentration.
    There were 80 questions on the test mainly focused on pre-algebra, alg 1 and geometry. but that was only like 35 questions. the remaining questions were all teaching styles, modalities, standards, and word problems that needed to be analyzed.
    competencie 1= 13% knowledge of.... please ignore this.
    I prepared using the FTCE math 6-12 thinking if i could do the high school math, i could do the middle school for sure......i was evidently wrong.

10. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Sep 10, 2015

deborah91, sorry to hear that. I am also taking the math 5-9 exam, but after being thrown for a loop on the Elementary K-6, I'm very anxious about it. Just like what you said about the math test, on the elementary ed test there were very few questions that were like those on the study guides. The content was completely different. Many of the questions were about learning and teaching methods and techniques, etc... very little of it was actually subject matter like in the study guides (science/math/social studies/language arts).

So what will you do now to prepare for the math 5-9 exam? How will you prepare differently?