FTCE K-6

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jnmr, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jnmr

jnmr Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I am taking the FTCE k-6 next month. I'm at a lost because the study guide I had purchased, is of no help. I am unsure what to study for. If any one has taken it recently, please tell me what I should expect.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2007

What isn't your prep guide giving you that you need?

4. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

Listen Up: XAM Guides WORK! They are a little pricey(40), but they do the job. They have the specific things you need to know, like history facts! Invest in yourself and spend the time! You can google that and it will come up

Good Luck All!

5. trudym

trudym Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

This helped me tons!

In addition to my REA study guide and the one I purchased from the state I also registered for a site that is a study guide with sample questions and it's free. I can't post sites on this site yet but if you google Elementary K-6 Online Content Review Module you will find it.

The module is very extensive and explains just about everything in the competencies from the state!

Good Luck,
    Trudy

6. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

Xam books!

I purchased seveal books, used the internet and made flash cards from information that I found. This is what really helped me pass. I finally passed it on my 4th try and the Xam book was the last thing I purchased. I studied the example questions with the reasons and found that to be what helped me the most. The Xam book was fun to read and I got really excited about taking my test again. I found it easy to take this time around and I really think that the Xam book prepared me more for the test this time around. I have even gone and ordered the PEd Xam book to study with now. I am getting ready to take the Pre-K-3 in Oct so I am just going to refresh with my flash cards. Hang in there, it gets better!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2007

Different resources work for different people: there's no such thing as the one absolutely right prep guide for everybody.

8. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

yes!

Please don't think I am saying that the only thing that works is the Xam books....because I used several sources that gave me more than the Xam books did. It just happened to be one of the books I used. I used several things, internet the most (answers.com) and study books to make my flash cards. That is what works for me and that is what I am saying worked the best for me on this test. Everyone is different...I am a visual learner and I put it to use by bringing together several materials. My teacher suggested a certain book to me and that is the one that I perfer now. If I can pass the test, I know anyone can. I am a career changer from the Visual Arts to education. What gets the job done? Motivation. With 3 kids under 8 and working 50 hours a week, my study time happened from 11 at night to 1 in the morning but.....they are my motivation.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2007

No worries, 3kids - my remark wasn't aimed at you.

Taking charge as you describe here is key: there are probably several different resources that would have worked equally well for you because you would have done what it takes to make them work, just as you've done with what you've got.

10. 12qwas

12qwas Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I took it yesterday. Some math (volume, area, geometry). Some world history...
    It really went from one end of the spectrem to the other and I have no idea what I passed and what I didn't OR by how many points I failed. I took the GK in June and passed all four parts if that tells you anything.

11. 12qwas

12qwas Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

How about the professional test? Anyone take that one for Florida cetification?

12. teachergirl

teachergirl Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

I am having trouble passing the k-6 FTCE exam can anyone help?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 5, 2007

Duplicate posts aren't actually likely to get you better answers, teachergirl.

14. teachergirl

teachergirl Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

Sorry I was just looking for help. :sorry:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2007

'Salright. What specifically seems to be the problem?

16. 12qwas

12qwas Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I say buy the XAM book....and read, read, read....seems to have a lot of the information in it that was on the exam. I just got my score and I made a 176....and you have to make 200 or higher to pass.....close but not close enough....