Ftce K-6

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Starivy, Jan 15, 2006.

1. SallyBee

SallyBee Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

Do you want to sell your book? I take the exam in April..or can you tell me where to buy it?

sallybee

2. Brandondragons

Brandondragons Rookie

Mar 4, 2006

Hi,

I took and passed the test yesterday. I had reviewed some books on the Praixs exam but they didn't really help me. The test was more challenging then I thought it would be. I found the practice test to only be somewhat helpful.

The LA section was the most difficult for me since it involved a lot of teaching methods. I am a career changer so I was unfamiliar with most of these methods and answered based upon what felt right to me. The social science section was fairly easy for me and is your basic "history" exam with some economics. The phys ed./arts section was fairly easy with some challenging questions here and there. The math section contained your usual suspects: decimal conversion, percentages, geometry and some simple algebra.

3. SRR

SRR Rookie

Mar 4, 2006

Hey SallyBee - my book is out on loan already - sorry. I got the book from Amazon.com. However - I would suggest going thru the competencies and getting the info from google or answers.com.

4. SallyBee

SallyBee Rookie

Mar 4, 2006

Content and Methods in one

I'm wonderinmg if the content and methods are on one test? I am scheduled for April 20th and just starting to study. They scheduled me for 4.5 hours and I thought the methods was on a separate pedagogy test. Is it all combined and that's why it is $110?

I'm working hard on this because I am flying in to take it so I don't want to have to fly down twice. Also, is it Amrican and World History or solely American? I have a Master's but not in elem education--just getting to those now in my second degree program.

Thanks and congratulations on a job well done!

SallyBee

5. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Mar 4, 2006

Sally, if you are taking the subject area exam k-6, and if you have downloaded the practice test and competencies, there are a few questions on methods - such as "what would be the best way to present such and such info" and then there are some common-sense (I thought) choices. I've taken and passed the test (and have a BS in business but studied the downloaded materials). Yes, there are education-specific terms in the LA section, but I googled them to become familiar with the various concepts before I took the test. I believe you are right though - that the pedagogy test is a separate test that you must pass after you start teaching and during the 3 years you have to get your permanent professional Florida license. I found the difficulty level of the practice test to be similar to the real test, but of course it is so much longer!

6. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 30, 2006

New book for SEA K-6!

Hello Everyone,
    I just joined here - I love this website. It's so nice to have. I coudn't help but notice that we future teachers are somewhat "left in the dark" when we take the SAE K-6. There haven't been any study aids for it and we're just off on our own. I wanted to put note as of today that there is a new book soon to come out in April/May 2006 titled, FTCE - The Best Test Prep, Subject Area Exam K-6. It covers content areas which is exactly what we need. This book can be preordered on Amazon.com for $18.28 (excluding shipping/handling). I thought this would be useful for those who will be taking the SAE K6 soon like I am in July.

Best wishes!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  7. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Mar 30, 2006

I used their test prep book for the professional education test and thought it was really good. I hope their K-6 is as good...we need a useful preparation guide for K-6.

8. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 30, 2006

I have the actual FTCE Professional Skills Test study guide. This one isn't by the same authors. So I'm looking forward to this one coming out. Congrats on passing the SAE. How is the progress with the job search?

9. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Mar 30, 2006

Thanks! Well, I'm going to try first in our county...it's very small and rural and I'm hoping they'll want a local in any job opening they may have...I've heard there will be several. I've got to get my references together, so it seems like it is taking forever to complete my application.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2006

It makes a good deal of sense to examine any test prep book before buying - the book that's right for someone else may not be right for you. Having said which, if there aren't very many books out there, it's kind of hard to be picky, I know.

I should add that California's CSET exams are pretty challenging, but it's perfectly possible to pass without buying any of the CSET prep books that are out there. You might want to cruise the Multiple Subject Tests threads for resources and approaches in the various subject areas.

11. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

Okay, I am hoping with all my might that I am doing the right thing. I've been studying on my own with books here and there from the book store on the content courses I haven't had yet and am taking the SAE in July. I have ordered the book I mentioned earlier and a website that was mentioned to me earlier. I don't know if I am studying the right things. Plus I have the FTCE study guide on all of the competencies. Doing this on my own makes me nervous. I have had almost all the content courses except for Reading Development, Reading Diagnosis and Remediation, Physical Education, Health, and Mutlimedia. I've been reading on Reading Development, Reading Diagnosis and Remediation. I'm hoping that I've got what it takes. I took one of the FTCE practice tests in the FTCE book and passed with just what I know now. I've achieved A's in all content courses almost and have achieved an A in Social Studies content course by memorizing and passing the exams with dates, names, and times of events that have happened in the past. Does anyone have any outlook of my scenario here or any suggestions, guidance? Thank you!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

I caution you to begin with that FTCE isn't a test I know well... but from what I know of teacher tests, I'd say it sounds pretty promising. Attitude - knowing that you're a test-passing sort of person - is crucial here, as is knowing that not knowing the answer to a question right off doesn't mean something's wrong, it just means there's some work to do.

13. Muriel King

Muriel King New Member

Jun 27, 2008

FTCE General Knowledge Test

Please help!!!! I need to pass the GKT reading part. Can anyone give advice

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2008

Reading part as in reading comprehension? Try Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day from LearningExpress; you can get it from the LearningExpress Web site (http://www.learnatest.com) or from the usual bookstores. I particularly like how it explicitly links the paper-and-pencil skills to real life.

15. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

Hey there - if you have passed the Subject area exam - I can reassure you that the GK is easier. The essay they look for the 5 paragraph format I believe. I took both those and it seems easier than the subject area exam.