Ftce K-6

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Starivy, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 15, 2006

Well I haven't taken it and I have read the previous posts about it. I know there is a decent amount of content rather than methods. I have read that some have taken it many times which makes me wonder how difficult it really is. One girl in my teacher program told me she didn't study at all and partied/drank the night before and took it in the morning and PASSED! I am a good test taker and am wondering if just downlaoding the study guide will suffice for prep. I didn't study at all for the proffesional exam and passed, although I think it is way easy than this K-6 one.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2006

If FTCE is a teacher test, could you repost this in the Other Tests subforum of the Examinations for Teachers forum?

There are lots of reasons why people don't pass tests, even tests everyone says ought to be completely easy. In some cases, it's a matter of massive test anxiety or lack of test-taking skills (as opposed to the skills that the test is designed to test); in some cases it's misunderstanding what's being asked for; and there are certainly cases in which not passing reflects deficiencies in knowledge or skills that aren't of the specifically test-taking kind. In general, good test takers who spend some time reviewing will do fine on most teacher tests.

4. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 16, 2006

Please has anyone taken it yet? I would like to hear your personal expereince on it. Thanks!!!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2006

jjtram, when is the next test date and what does this thing cover? We might have had some postings on it in the past: check this subforum.

Floridians, let's hear from you!

6. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 24, 2006

Hi there - I am getting ready to take this FTCE too and would love to have some feedback about the test

7. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 24, 2006

I am taking it this Thursday. I will let you know how it is and how much to prepare for it. All I have really done is reviewed 5th grade subject material ( I found some at the bookstore or you can go to the library) and looked over my course notes.

SRR When do you take it?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

So let me see if I've got this straight (this isn't an easy test to find out about, compared to some): the FTCE K-6 has 225 multiple choice questions and is supposed to take a little over 5 hours (including, I think, one or more scheduled breaks). It breaks into five chunks: Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science & Technology, and Music/Arts/PE/Health. There's a list of "competencies" at http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcomp60.pdf.

From looking at the competencies document, this seems to be a fairly standard K-6 teacher exam - comparable to CSET-MS, but with the addition of explicit questions on technology and lacking the constructed-response component entirely.

Floridians, have I got it straight so far?

9. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 24, 2006

hi jjtram - I take it in the end of Feb. I had ordered the XAM book and and am going thru it. But would really appreciate your feedback.
    All the best for your exam.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

Well, feel free to browse among the threads on the Multiple Subjects Tests subforum: in terms of content, and if you substitute Florida's history for California's, what CSET-MS covers is broadly comparable to what FTCE covers, if the Competencies document above is a remotely reliable guide. You could try prowling the Web for other teacher tests and their preparation material, since both ETS (=Praxis) and NES (=CSET, MTEL, and a host of others) offer free prep guides with sample questions.

One of the things you'll find among the Multiple Subjects Tests thread is some posts on reading-instruction material.

11. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 26, 2006

Well I passed it! It was definitely a challenge. The whole way through I didn't know if I was doing okay or not. I still cannot tell you which ones I got right or wrong, but I guess I got enough to pass. The most challenging section for me was the Social Studies. I think it was because it was the one section I didn't really study. Honestly, if you are a pretty good test taker and just review 5th-6th grade level material/textbooks in each of the subjects then you will do totally fine. I signed up for the test about 2 weeks in advance and reviewed math, science, art and I did fine. I have a music background so I didn't study that. I probably should have looked over some PE stuff and studied social studies. I just ran out of time. Anyway with a decent amount of review, you will do fine. It's challenging but it's not that bad.

12. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 26, 2006

Oh and I did download the sample test for $5 online which helped. I would recommend using that as a guide also.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2006

Congratulations! So do you get instant results? Did you take it on a computer?

14. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 26, 2006

Thank you!!! I am relieved to be done with it. Yes, I took it on a computer so the results were instant. I saw the "PASS" on there and had to do a double take. I didn't believe it at first!! But I get the official score report in a few weeks which I hope will break it down for me so I can see how I passed.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2006

Cool! Please share the results here - that information can be very useful to those who still have to take the test.

16. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 26, 2006

Hey jjtram - CONGRATS - Glad u made it!!. If u get a chance could u give me some more tips! Thanx

17. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 26, 2006

especially with the Lang Arts section !!!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2006

You may find helpful material in the Subtest I threads on the Multiple Subject Tests subforum: there are ways in which teacher tests differ, but there are also lots of ways in which they're alike.

If you've got specific questions, you could also ask 'em here: start a new thread and get a good conversation going, hm?

19. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 28, 2006

I agree with the advice already given. Review 5th-6th grade material. Social Studies is the hardest part. After I finished that section I was frazzeled. On your scores if you pass it will not break down the different subjects. If you do not pass they will so you can see your areas of weakness. I personally thought my college prepared me very well for this test, I reviewed the sample test online the night before and that's it and passed. You also do not need a very high percentage to be considered passing. I thought the PRAXIS that you have to take for other states was more challenging that the FTCE. If you did your undergrad in Elementary Ed. then I say you don't have much to worry about. Good Luck!

20. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

I wish - but I have not done my under grad in elementary ed !!!!!!!
    That is where my hurdle lies!!!!! I am going thru the XAM book - don't know if that is comprehensive enough. I had downloaded the questions online after paying the $5.00 and have reviewed those. I feel comfortable with the Math and Science part as that is what my undergrad degrees are in.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

If you've downloaded the list of competencies, use it to help you look up information on the Internet - try Google or Answers.com or both.

22. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

yes that is what I have been doing!!!!!!! still nervous - especially about the History part!!!!!!!! Thanks though!!!!

23. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 28, 2006

Don't worry! A lot of it, you can infer the right answer and a lot is common knowledge. Some questions it's either you know it or don't. Like how many seats in the senate. Sadly, I don't recall facts like that, but I can infer how fences changed the cattle industry. A lot of those practice questions showed up in the test. As long as you have strong categories (math and science) I'd say you're doing pretty good. Remember, you only need a certain percentage correct overall to pass (which I think we were told 52% or around there). So if you ace math (which you will b/c it's basic computation) and science, then it's ok to be a little sketchy on social studies and PE. Good luck!

24. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

Thanks alot - I really hope it wil be ok. BTW do u remember if they give you the math formula with the questions? also can u go back to previous questions on the computer tests.
    I take the test on the 28th of Feb and hope I should be all caught up by then. I am relying heavily on the XAM book!!!!!!!

25. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 29, 2006

I took the paper test, so I have no idea about being able to go back. Yes, I'm pretty sure they give you common formulas for math.

26. SRR

SRR Rookie

Jan 29, 2006

Thanx - was wondering if I had to remember all the conversion factors!!!!

27. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jan 29, 2006

SRR, you can go back and check your problems when you are on the computer. That is what I did for the test, the ones I knew I just breezed through and then went back and spent time on the ones I didn't. I had plently of extra time left so don't worry. And yes they definitely give you all those math formulas.

28. SRR

SRR Rookie

Feb 1, 2006

Hey Thanks a billion - that is a big relief !!!!!!! I have gone thru most of the material once - don't know if it is enough though - so am just going to take it as it comes now!!!!

29. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Feb 11, 2006

K-6 Test

I took and passed the K-6 computer based test on Thursday. I studied the studyguide I downloaded and took the practice test that came with it. I used the internet to become familiar with the terms I was not familiar with. The various reading miscues are important to know, as well as info on angles. They did not let me use a calculator so my scratchpaper was pretty full of calculations. I thought it was a challenge, but I'd bet I scored pretty well on it --- there weren't many questions that totally stumped me. I finished well in advance of the time and had time to review all of it a second time. Now to find a job -------

30. SRR

SRR Rookie

Feb 12, 2006

Hey Congrats !!! I am taking mine on the 28th of this month!!!!! Hope u find a job soon too. R u an Education major? I had downloaded the the competencies and skills section along with the practice tests - didn't know there was study guide - could you tell me which website you downloaded it from? Thanx!!!!!

31. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Feb 12, 2006

I'm sorry to be confusing - the study guide I referred to IS the "competencies" you referred to - I had just forgotten its official name. Thanks for your congrats. No, I'm not an Ed major, I'm a career changer with a BS in Business Management and many years of experience in the business world whose main goal is to teach Business Ed. I have my Florida statement of eligibility to teach Business Ed, but there aren't so many jobs in that area so I took the K-6 test to broaden my opportunities so I can relocate to Florida.

Again, my best advice on the test is to look up on the internet any terms or theories you aren't familiar with - I googled "angles" and learned quite a bit - you will also want to learn how to write scientific notation. The 5 themes of social studies are important, too. I'm not giving any secrets away here - all those items are on the competencies guide. With 255 questions, I'm sure you can miss quite a few and still pass. Read carefully, sometimes I think they try to trick you up! It's been many years since I graduated and a little bit of studying really brought me up to speed. Best of luck to you.

32. SRR

SRR Rookie

Feb 13, 2006

Thank you !!!! I really hope I am touching on every topic. I have got some stuff on angles and the 5 themes of Social Geog. Did they ask any hist questions in relation to FL??? Thank for your help!!!!!!!

33. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

SRR - sorry for the delay - I've been out of town. I do not recall history questions in relation to FL. I expected some and tried to study for it, but don't recall there were any. Just another note - I got my paper score report in the mail (took the test on a computer so I knew immediately that I'd passed) and all it says is "pass". I was a little disappointed - I was curious to know what a passing score was and how well or poorly I did.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2006

They're a little coy about scores in California, too: the rationale is that the teacher credentialing people don't want higher or lower passing test scores to be a factor in hiring.

35. SRR

SRR Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Hey, thank you for your response. I take my exam this Tuesday - will keep u posted on how that goes. I am taking mine on the Computer too.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2006

If there's material on the Competencies that you're not sure about, feel free to ask here: you're unlikely to be the only person taking this thing on Tuesday, and there's still time to get a useful discussion going.

37. SRR

SRR Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

Hey guys - wanted to drop u a line to say I PASSED !!!!!! since I don't know the break up of my scores yet - don't know how well I did - but it is a big relief. Thanx for your support!!!!!

38. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Mar 1, 2006

Congrats SRR!!!!!!!!!!! One less thing to worry about! What was the most challenging for you personally?

39. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

Congrats SSR. When I got my paper results, they only say "pass". You only get a numerical score if you fail. Meanwhile, I found on the testing website that for Elementary Ed K-6 you only need to get 64% of the questions correct.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2006

Bravo, SSR!

bjboothman, thanks for supplying a passing score. That's about par for teacher tests: somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3 is passing. In spite of all the fearsome rumors and horror stories...

41. SRR

SRR Rookie

Mar 2, 2006

Thank you so much jjtram, bjboothman & TeacherGroupie. Now to look for a job. I think the most challenging part was that the questions in the lang arts section were framed really wierdly. I had to reread some of them to try and understand what they were asking for. I had studied alot about all the wars and the different ideologies fo Piaget, Skinner, Thorndike et al - none of that was really required. Also I thot the Science section and Math section was quite straight forward and was more of general knowledge. But I didn't really know how I was doing all thru - until the end when I saw the "PASS" on the screen. But it's done now and I feel good about it !!!!!!!!