FTCE GK

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by 03mikki93, Jun 16, 2017.

1. 03mikki93

03mikki93 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017

How many times have you taken the GK? What do you do differently every time you take it?

3. seablue4u

seablue4u New Member

Jun 21, 2017

I've taken it twice. I passed the Essay and English on the first go but failed Reading and Math. I did a retake of Math by itself because that's my weakest subject and still failed. I'm on y 3rd retake. I've got the older study books fro 2011 before they updated the test. I've tried learning liaisons and thinktime. Now I'm trying Khan Academy, which is how some one who took it 8 times passed it.

4. 03mikki93

03mikki93 Rookie

Jun 23, 2017

I passed the reading recently! Let me know if you need help!

5. seablue4u

seablue4u New Member

Jun 26, 2017

Thank you! I would appreciate it if you could give me some tips. 40 questions in 55 mins is ridiculous, in my opinion.

6. 03mikki93

03mikki93 Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

Email me 03mikki93@gmail.com

7. Grace Wickboldt

Grace Wickboldt New Member

Nov 3, 2017

Hi!
    I know it has been a while, but I just took the GKT test today. I haven't received my others scores yet, but my reading score was available immediately after the test and I did pass it.
    My tips for the reading would be to read the passages fully for understanding. I think many try to rush the reading and then try to go back to the passage to answer the question. This is a waste of time. If you are using this strategy, you might as well not read the passage to begin with because you didn't understand the first read through anyway.
    Read the passage and try to think of the author's tone, the purpose of the writing and the sequence of events in the passage. These are typically fair game for questions. Then when you get to the questions, you typically know the answer right away or at least can eliminate the answers down to two. Then you can quickly refer back to the passage and answer the question. I find it much quicker and much easier to do the test this way.
    To clarify, I am not saying to not read the questions first. For some, this is a good strategy and I don't think it is a waste of time or unnecessary. It's a strategy many use. I am simply saying, do not read through the passage too quickly or so quickly you do not understand or absorb what you are reading.
    I did it this way and did not run out of time, I actually had nearly five minutes to spare. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer.
    I used Cliffnotes Study Guide, Mometrix study guide, as well as the NavaEd website to help me prepare.....hopefully I did pass the other sections (I'm actually most worried about the essay).
    Good luck to everyone!