FTCE Florida Physics 6-12 Subject Area Exam: Advice?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by multiplicity, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:38 PM.

1. multiplicity

multiplicity Rookie

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:38 PM

Hi all!

I am currently registered for the FTCE Physics exam in December and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prepare. I've already gone through the sample questions from the FTCE website, obtained copies of Glencoe and Giancoli Algebra-based physics texts, and done some past AP Physics B multiple choice. Needless to say, there aren't many recent examinees to help me out, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:03 AM

Welcome to our energy field, multiplicity!

What's your background in physics? How about science more generally?

4. multiplicity

multiplicity Rookie

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM

Right now, I'm certified in Chemistry and General Science. Pretty comfortable with mechanics, minus rotational dynamics. I'm ok with some of the E+M (i.e. Ohm's Law, circuits, Coulomb's Law) but not as comfortable with the magnetism portion. I took AP Physics C: Mechanics way back in the day (Score: 4) but it's been a while!

5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:45 PM

My standard go tos are study.com (https://study.com/academy/course/ftce-physics-test.html) (costs money) and Kahn academy. Study.com doesn't seem to have the greatest sample questions for the courses I've taken, but has detailed the subject matter needed. Kahn academy is very good for understanding, if you know what it is you need to know. And, as always, Google, or duck duck go, are your friends for answers for specific questions on subject matter.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:29 PM

Oh, very promising! Pay attention to common mistakes made by those slightly unclear on the concept, then; you might look online for free AP Physics prep materials, and skim them for discussions of trick questions. FTCE is aligned to Florida standards, so you could use the search string "lesson plans ap physics florida"; lesson plans can be good sources of "gotcha" issues, and feel free also to add other terms into the search string if there's a specific domain or subarea or even phenomenon of physics you want to explore.

7. multiplicity

multiplicity Rookie

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM

I guess my main issue is figuring out the extent to which I need to know each topic. The competencies are worded a bit vaguely in some areas; not sure if there's a master list of equations we're required to memorize?

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM

In California, for the Physics CSET, there were a lot of equations given and some that needed to be memorized. There is a list available in the official sample questions provided on the testing website. Since it is kind of extraneous to your question, I won't link it, but google should get you there if you are interested in what is included.

Here is the reference sheet provided for the FTCE Physics:
    http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/ReferenceSheet_032.pdf