FTCE ESSAY

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ELETEACHER, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ELETEACHER

ELETEACHER New Member

Apr 12, 2007

FOR ANY OF MY TEACHING COLLEAGES WHO HAVE TAKEN THE GK OR ENGLISH 6-12 FTCE. WHAT ARE THE ESSAY TOPICS LIKE?

3. TheGuppiesMom

TheGuppiesMom New Member

Jun 24, 2007

GK Essay - I'm New To the Forum

I, too, have been wondering about the GK Essay Topic Question. I'm scheduled to take this and the PEd on 7/211/07. Truth be told, I'm obsessing over it.

This may sound like something out of the math section, but there are just too many possible topics out there to determine what possible two questions may show up.

I've begun a Brainstorming Journal. I've taken questions from StudyGuideZone.com, the REA Study Guide, Cliff'sTestGuide, the CLAST and the guide I purchased on-line from the test registration site and I've written down ideas, information I've researched and personal thoughts.

Some of the questions I've run across in these publicatins have included: Pressing environmental concern; Is Heroism dead?
    Historical figure who changed the world; Someone you admire; Should all young people serve in the service or other public service? Experiential versus academic learning: Is experience the best teacher; Are happiness, freedom and peace of mind attained when we give them to someone else? Rising cost of health care; If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? Athletics and Education, how they interact, or should they? School Uniforms - pro or con; Most important lesson you learned from school; Television addition - action v. inaction; Why I want to become a teacher; A place I would like to visit; An invention that changed the world - goes back to that dreaded television addiction (LOL). What are your favorite hobbies?

I may post a few of my attempts for critique. I hate to proofread my own work. I just want to make sure I get the 6 out of 12 points necessary to pass this portion. I passed the other three sections, English, reading and math last month.

I've decided to wait on my SAE Mathematics 6-12 based in part on the pass/fail ratio (45%), the test prep book I have and my personal time frame. I start back on my MBA studies next week. Of course, I could take the Home Ec test. I understand a brain-damaged monkey could pass it!! (No offense to those who have passed this test. I seriously am considering it!)

Jen

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

Surely you aren't asking for essay topics on a test which you are required to pass for licensure?

5. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

The general knowledge exam essay and the essay for the FTCE English 6-12 (I took 5-9) are two completely different animals.

I didn't have to take the general knowledge exam (because I took the CLAST), but the essay on the English SAE was to choose between two pieces of literature (usually one prose and one poetry) and critique one of them.

Of course, I can not divulge the topic, but it really wasn't that bad. Just study up on literary terms, devices, etc. I chose the poetry piece and must have done okay b/c I passed. I also used The Elements of Stye by Sistrunk and White to help me review grammar, etc.

6. TheGuppiesMom

TheGuppiesMom New Member

Jun 25, 2007

No, I certainly am not asking for questions to an exam that I may take for licensure.
    I didn't ask anything in my post other than to possibly, maybe have someone help review my work and to give the reader an idea as to what I have put into my preparation so far.
    I certainly won't ask here again. In fact, I believe I will not use this site ever again.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 25, 2007

GuppiesMom: Your post does not sound to me like you were asking for the questions, but the original post does leave it open to some interpretation. I don't know all of the details, but I know that atoz has had some problems with people posting actual exam questions on the site. It has been a legal issue in the past as well as a moral issue for everyone. It has been of even more concern for the teachers who have worked for test making companies. Your response was appropriate and even posting your essay responses would not be a problem. You may not be familiar with forums, but many posts are answering the original poster, not necessarily the previous person. If you choose to leave atoz that would be your decision, but it is a wonderful place to meet teachers and exchange ideas. We all love it so much that we are protective of any potential problems, especially in view of past events.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

Tasha, thanks for posting that.

TheGuppiesMom, welcome to A to Z. Brainstorming about topics covered on teacher tests isn't out of line. Divulging actual topics encountered generally is - if you visit the Examinations for Teachers forum, http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43, you'll see a warning to that effect. You may also find some other information that's helpful in the Basic Skills Tests subforum there.

It's broadly the case with basic skills exams such as GK, California's CBEST, and Praxis I/PPST that what's wanted by way of writing is a standard five-paragraph essay, where what matters is less what it is that you're arguing for than how it is that you're arguing for it.

If your post is representative of your writing style in general, you may be worrying more than you need to.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

I was referring to the original post in my response...I do find it unprofessional that someone would ask for the questions on a licensure test....

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

Oh, yeah: the ORIGINAL original poster.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

The OP who asked:

FOR ANY OF MY TEACHING COLLEAGES WHO HAVE TAKEN THE GK OR ENGLISH 6-12 FTCE. WHAT ARE THE ESSAY TOPICS LIKE?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

(looking woebegone)
    I forgot to insert the thwack! of hand smiting forehead in my post #9.

13. TheGuppiesMom

TheGuppiesMom New Member

Jun 26, 2007

OP

My apologies for jumping the gun.

What may I ask is an OP?

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

OP means Original Poster, usually the person who started the thread.

15. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

May 5, 2016

16. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

May 5, 2016

You may email me with questions about the ftce English any time.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 5, 2016

Thanks for the offer, gumby611. The post before yours, and the rest of the thread, is almost seven years old: I'll venture that you're not very likely to hear from either the OP or TheGuppiesMom.