FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. da_dizzy

da_dizzy New Member

Jun 11, 2008

It took me 10hrs to make up the study guide. I was most worried about the essay. I memorized 6 literary devices and worked them into the piece. I think I totally passed. I'll find out in 2 weeks. I studied 3 hrs evey night before the test. My studied guide saved me for sure but now REA has one that was just published. I dont know if it is any good or not but I have a copy of the study guide I made if anyone is interested. It is 50 pgs long!!!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2008

Sounds promising, da_dizzy. And I'd love to hear from anyone on the topic of your guide vs. REA's.

3. crimson82

crimson82 New Member

Jun 22, 2008

I am certified in Mathematics 6-12 and Social Studies 6-12. I took the FTCE English 6-12 on June 7th and found out I passed last Friday. In comparing the math and social studies tests to the English, they are far more content oriented and less subjective. I found the English test to be wholly unfair and it mostly forced us to choose opinions on pedagogy rather than demonstrating our understanding of English Literature, poetry, grammar, etc. If someone were an English major and failed this test, he or she should not be embarrassed.

4. SPAREMOI

SPAREMOI Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Hello Da_Dizzy

I am scheduled to take the English 6-12 SAE on July 26th, 2008. Would love it if I could get some tips on the best sources to study for this exam. I know three current teachers that have suggested the XAM English 6-12 Study Guide, however, I've read several posts that indicate that this study guide is basically worthless.

Would you mind e-mailing me a copy of your self made study guide? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Sparemoi
    Miami, Fl

5. SPAREMOI

SPAREMOI Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Hi Crimson,
    I see what you mean. I am scheduled to take the English 6-12 exam at the end of the month of July. Have any of the study guides you've looked at had any pedagogy type questions? In other words, have you checked out any study guides that come remotely close to the material that is presented on this exam?

6. SPAREMOI

SPAREMOI Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Hi Da_Dizzy,
    Do you know if you passed the exam??

SPAREMOI

7. crimson82

crimson82 New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Spare,

I don't think there are any study guides that can help with some of the questions. You just have to use good judgement and think of what the testers want. Choose the answers that emphasize group work, participation and cooperation. I think the answers that emphasize traditional methods such as dictation and recitation are probably wrong. That being said, I don't know what I got right or wrong.

Good luck!

8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

FTCE English 6-12 Exam & Guides

I took the test this past April and found out I passed. I used the XAM English 6-12 and also used the sample booklet from the state that I purchased on line. I made flash cards of both sets of sample test questions from both. I also went through the XAM book and made notes of each section using the Cornell note taking outline which helped A LOT! I also made flash cards for any literary terms that I had as an answer in the sample questions. It's a lot of material, but it worked, so I won't complain. I think I also downloaded something from an additional web site (3rd party company) that gave me another sample test and some additional literary terms that weren't on the other two. Hope that helps... check out Elmer's section in this forum and there's several great outlines of terms which will be helpful already done for you. Also, when in doubt, always select the answers that involve group learning vs. individual learning, seems the test writers prefer group involvement more. Good luck everyone!

9. coffeemug

coffeemug New Member

Jul 19, 2008

Da Dizzy, i would also love a copy of your study guide. I'm taking the test next week and have started to freak out a lil' bit.

-d

10. oodamissoo

oodamissoo New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Has anyone taken this subject area exam (or any) before actually submitting their temporary certification application?

I have a poli sci degree, but want to be certified in English 6-12, so I know I'll need to take the exam. I also thought it'd be wise to try and take the exam before I apply so if I just can't pass it, I'll know not to request that subject on my application and save myself an extra $75.

I was just curious if this is a common practice. Thanks!!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Most teacher exams can be taken more than once - because the point of them is not to keep people out of the profession, it's to get people brushing up on their subject area knowledge. Allowing a first-time stumble on an exam to keep you from getting certified in a field is a mistake, I think - I've known and worked with plenty of credential candidates who passed on the second attempt.

12. Yaremis

Yaremis New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Hello! I am new to this forum and I joined because I am taking the FTCE and I am VERY nervous about it! Thank you all VERY much for the notes provided, they are a great help! I will be sure to study everything.

13. GotNickles

GotNickles New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Gahhh!!

Hello everyone,

I had hoped to find a nice forum that would encourage me into believing that the FTCE ENglish 6-12 is completely attainable. What a disappointment! I have the test in 11 hours, and have officially reached the breaking point! I am completely freaked out! :help: I too, unfortunatly, bought the XAM study guide (someone said $40?! I paid a whopping $70!) and found it to be utterly useless dung.

I used the REA study guide for the Professional Ed test, and feel completely confident about that one. English though... I feel as if my professors have not stressed methodology at all.... we have spent so much time on the actual content rather than the most efficient ways to teach the content. By now, I feel like last minute cramming is only going to fry my brain even more. I feel like I have spent so much time in the classroom that by now I must have learned SOMETHING that can be applicable to this test. But, we shall see! Aye yi yi... hopefully I'll be one of the lucky few who can say "I passed it, but I have no flipping clue how!":eek:

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Welcome to the forum, GotNickles. Now please slow down and breathe: in... out... in... out...

If you've been prepared well with the content, and if you're feeling confident about the Professional Education test, you're probably going to do fine. Put them together: think about how you could illustrate Professional Education points by mining your English background for examples, and think about how a given literature or language question constitutes a teaching opportunity.

And breathe, please. First, last, and always.

15. GotNickles

GotNickles New Member

Jul 26, 2008

:) Thanks! It's now 6:34 AM the morning of, and I feel.....well, I'm not quite sure! I guess I feel good. Thanks for the bout of confidence teachergroupie- I really appreciate it! I will probably be sitting there thinking "in...out...in...out" hehe. I should be back from the test about 4:30 or 5ish EST, so I will let you know one way or another! Keep your fingers crossed!:)

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

Good luck!

17. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Hi Guys,

I skimped over the English 6-12 manual and it is "no joke". The test appears to be very in depth and thorough. I am guessing it will take me a few months to properly prepare for the test. The test also appears to be tricky in a way. What do you guys think?

tryintoteach. :)

18. GotNickles

GotNickles New Member

Jul 29, 2008

Hello friends!
    Sorry it has taken me so long to update you all! I believe myself to have been in a coma since I took this stinking thing. Brain dead does not even cover it! :) When people ask me how I did on this test, the best I can do is shrug. What a subjective "crap-shoot" I believe is what one person in this forum referred to it as! lol, unbelievable! The essay went EXTREMELY well, I was quite please with my work. I analyzed the language in a piece; even managed to finish with 20 minutes to spare! As for the multiple choice, meh. I really don't know what to think! I guess we will find out in about three weeks :-D Until then, my fingers are crossed!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

Careful about discussing specifics of test questions: the test-making companies tend to view public discussions rather dimly, and the chances are pretty good that when you signed up to take the test, you put your name to something promising that you wouldn't do that.

20. alabamamama

alabamamama Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I passed! I took the test July 26 and checked online today. I'm so relieved :)

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

Congratulations, alabamamama. (That's amazingly hard to spell, and I don't mean the first word, either.)

22. boricua

boricua Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

Does anyone knows where can I buy a used Study Guide for Spanish K- 12 Teacher's Test ??

Thanks!!!!

23. stoogefred

stoogefred New Member

Nov 18, 2008

da_dizzy Study Guide

Hi da_dizzy!

Are you able to send me a copy of your study guide? I am certified in Social Studies 6-12, but I would like to get certified in English 6-12. I'm planning on taking the FTCE English 6-12 in January. :help:

Thanks!
    Caryn

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2008

25. 2ndchance

2ndchance New Member

Feb 18, 2009

new boy

Hi All: well, here I am studying again after 23 years in healthcare. I'm hoping to secure an English teaching position in the Fall as a second career so I am studying for the FTCE English 6-12 test. There are so many threads available on this site and numerous resources and I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start. I've bought two study guides and downloaed the one from the testing site. Yikes, am I on the right track?

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2009

It's a good start, 2ndchance. What's less important than WHERE you start is THAT you start. Rummage through what you've got and see what questions it raises, then start looking for answers.

27. Skg3600

Skg3600 New Member

Feb 27, 2009

Hello Everyone!
    I am so happy to find such a helpful forum. I take my English 6-12 tomorrow. I am so nervous about the essay portion. I know how to write an essay, but these standardized tests make me so nervous! I have the preparation guide only. I'm a little confused on the essay prompt. The essay prompt asks to discuss the language and the literary elements of an excerpt. So, for example, a thesis could be:

Archibald MacLeish's "Ars Poetica" utilizes similes, imagery, and personification to achieve the overall purpose of conveying a poem's beauty should not be defined.

Would this be the kind of thesis the scorers are looking for? What would they like when they ask to discuss the language?
    I know I'm an English Language Arts Major, but my confidence tends to run low on these certification tests because I don't know who is scoring it.

Any advice for the test tomorrow will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Thank you for your time!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 27, 2009

The sentence you typed - "Archibald MacLeish's "Ars Poetica" utilizes similes, imagery, and personification to achieve the overall purpose of conveying a poem's beauty should not be defined." - is a little hard to parse, Skg3600.

In general, tests like this are looking for evidence that the test taker can use the tools of literary analysis - identifying the role that the various sorts of figurative language, word choice, structure, poetic devices (where appropriate) and the like play in the passage. Worry less about essay structure as such than about getting your point across.

29. Skg3600

Skg3600 New Member

Feb 27, 2009

Do you know if there are any example essays I can look at? If you had to reword or redo my thesis, what would it look like? I guess I've been writing papers with specific prompts for such a long time that the prompt of the SAE is too vague for me. I guess this is why I'm a little lost.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 27, 2009

FTCE is to some extent sui generis ('its own thing') among teacher tests, but I'd expect that the prompt will be pretty specific in telling you what you're supposed to do with the passage(s) you're given.

31. Skg3600

Skg3600 New Member

Feb 27, 2009

Thanks =) That makes me feel better!

32. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Mar 30, 2009

So it is great news.

33. sunshinejj

sunshinejj Rookie

May 12, 2009

need help ASAP

hello everyone, i will cut straight to the chase, i am scheduled to take english 6-12 subject area on monday. i need help. question, i'm doing it online, how will it work if there is a essay question? someone please respond as soon as possible

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2009

I assume it's the usual thing: the questions are presented onscreen and the test software includes a very basic, very bare-bones word processor (no spell check, no grammar check) - there could be a text box rather like the one you typed your post in, as a matter of fact.

35. sunshinejj

sunshinejj Rookie

May 13, 2009

question

has anyone recently taken the subject area 6-12 English. whats the 411 on that? cause i am shakin in my boots u guys

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2009

Hugs to you, sunshinejj. Are you shakin' because of what the official Web site has to say about the test, or because of the rumors you've been hearing? If it's the latter, stop and take a deep breath, please: teacher tests tend to have nastier reputations than are quite justified by the reality.

37. sunshinejj

sunshinejj Rookie

May 14, 2009

thanks teacher groupie
    to answer your question both, because of what i have heard about the test and what the official website has to say. But looking at this study guide i have, there are way too many novels to read and info to retain. i am teaching now and i'm going crazy in between classes trying to study. I will take the deep breathe and see how that works or for how long.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2009

Try SparkNotes Literature 101.

39. sunshinejj

sunshinejj Rookie

May 22, 2009

well its done folks, i have taken the subject area 6-12, not sure what to tell u guys. i had the cliffs test prep and that didnt help much neither did the study guide from that praxis II study guide. all i can do is pray that i did well enough on the essay question to give me the points i need to pass. ANyone have any idea how much points the essay question was worth?

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2009

The docs for FTCE are remarkably scanty, that's true. The Florida dept. of education might have something somewhere that sheds light on the relative weighting of multiple choice and constructed response, but I'm afraid I don't know where.