FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

Literary Terms

I wonder how useful it would be to study literary terms, like first person, third person, Antagonist, etc. Any advice on that?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

It wouldn't hurt: chances are there will be at least one literary analysis, and being able to sling around the technical terminology is vital.

3. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

How would you go about studying for the essay portion? It says using a critical approach in the study guide. How does language or other elements contribute to the overall effect of the selection? It is about how a poem should be wordless like a bird or mute. Motionless in time. It is Ars Poetica by MacLeish

I am not sure how to answer that. I would say that the language of the poem describes how poetry should use the words to evoke descriptive images, like a bird flying. I also feel that the words of this poem show that poetry should evoke memories, perhaps of childhood. The language encourages the reader to think deeper than the words on the page.

Not sure if this is the type of thing they are looking for. Just taking a shot.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

I found "Ars Poetica" on the Web site Poets.org: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15222. The Web site includes resources for educators that you might find useful.

The thing about poetry is that it is language stripped down to essentials: each word matters. This is why it is not productive to read a poem hurriedly. The reader (and the test taker who makes the scorers happy) must stop and consider the words in the poem: what are they doing there? In which senses are they true? In which senses are they not? And how do they fit together with the other words?

For example, consider the first two lines of "Ars Poetica":

A poem should be palpable and mute
    As a globed fruit

What does it mean to be palpable? How is a fruit palpable? Can a poem be palpable in the same way? And what could it possibly mean to suggest that a poem be mute?

Scorers for tests like these don't expect you to do a dissertation-level interpretation of the poem by any means, but they do expect a reasonable level of analysis - a reasonable facility at isolating and considering elements of the poem.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

alrober2 - No. If you're going for temporary certificate, you have three years to take and pass the English and Professional exams. You have to take the GKT withing your first year of teaching.

I've had a lot of English teachers tell me that the English 5-9 is easy, but the 6-12 is very hard. I liken it to the SAT - different versions, different results. When I took the GKT I was sure I had failed the math section, because 90% of the questions were on geometry. Somehow, I passed it.

6. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I am so glad to hear that because with finals, graduation, and training for the substitute teaching position my time is quickly dwindling. I definitely need a sufficient amount of time to study for it.

This morning I took the computer based English and Reading portions of the GKT and passed. I still have to take the Essay and math portion. Ideally I wanted to take and pass as many sections before the interview day. I think that I will wait on the Subject Area part until July or after I get a job (hopefully that will happen before the next school year).

What county did you get hired in? Did you go to the job interview day? Was it hard for you to get hired not having an education degree? :thanks:

Thanks to chebrutta and Teacher Groupie for all the input and wonderful advice, and I am sure I will have more as time goes by. It feels like family support here at this forum.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

chebrutta, you're not the first person to report something like this; my sense is that people tend to remember the questions that gave them grief.

alrober2, you're welcome.

8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

Additional test prep study guides???

I am scheduled to take the English 6-12 test on April 19th. I've been studying the XAM study guide as well as the state's prep guide. I'm also considering purchasing the "FTCE English 6-12 Secrets Study Guide: FTCE Subject Test Review for the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations" or "FTCE English 6-12 Flashcard Secrets: FTCE Subject Test Practice Questions & Exam Review for the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations", has anyone used these and are they worth the extra $$?

9. NQ214

NQ214 New Member

Mar 31, 2008

STUDYING FOR FTCE SAE English 6-12

Sunflower girl,

I recently took the SAE Engligh 6-12 in February and found out this morning that I did not pass. It had alot of unexpected things in it and I am re-scheduled to take it on April 19th also in Miami Dade College Kendall Campus. I was wondering if you live by Kendall or would like to contact me so we can study together. My email is: natashaquiza@hotmail.com. It's the best way to contact me. I'll let you know how the test was... and we can help eachother!

NQ214;)

10. Raeni

Raeni Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

I passed!

I just found out today that I passed. I took the test on March 1 in Boca. Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. The main advice I would offer to anyone is to simply use your common sense and good judgment when answering the education-related questions. Also use process of elimination. Usually, there are answers that don't fit in with the rest. And finally, of course, prepare to do well on your essay. I chose the narrative piece over the poem.

GK next up on the 19th! :p

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

My sympathies, NQ214. What were you doing to prepare? Oh, and welcome to A to Z.

Raeni, congratulations! What do you think made the difference for you?

12. Raeni

Raeni Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

Thanks! You know, I'd like to think it was my essay (I tried to use a lot of big words :cool:), but who knows! I'll know for sure when the test results are mailed back to me. I think having majored in English helped a lot with the literary terms and so forth. Knowing Grammar helped as well. I've never taken an education course in my life, so for all those questions, I relied on logic. I also tried to think back to what my former English teachers did. Thankfully, it was enough. Oh, another thing that helped was being familiar with the editing process/peer editing/group work (I'm with 5th grade now, and we're following the Columbia Writing Program, so that helped immensely as far as processes and all that fun stuff). Other than that...really, just rely on common sense. I didn't use any study guides except for a quick review on literary terms that I printed off the internet the night before the exam. I think it only helped me for one or two questions in the end.

13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

Great for you that you passed the English 6-12! Congrats! I'm taking mine on April 19 and think I should be prepared. Between the study guides, a substitute teacher class and some common sense, I hope I am anyway. How was the essay? I'm nervous about that more than anything. You selected the narrative instead of the poem? Any insight on that end?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2008

Use the technical terminology of language and literature where possible; on the thread "Elmer's English resources," you'll find some glossaries and other materials and links that can be helpful.

15. teacherinneed

teacherinneed New Member

Apr 8, 2008

Hi... I am in WPB and I will also be taking the SAE on 4/19. I would love to get together and study. I have no idea what to expect on the exam and I am nervous.

16. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Topics for English 6-12 test

From all that I've read here and spoke to others who have taken it, the best things to focus on are teaching strategies, juvenile literature and the essay. I recently took a substitute class and the book we used has a whole section on teaching strategies. I also purchased the XAM prep book, which is horrible for typos etc., but contains a decent overview of material from beginning to end. Sort of an overview of materials and broken out and a condensed version of English 101. I created flash cards for the terms and have been taking notes on the study guide. I'm preparing for the essay this weekend and will do a practice run which I think is best. If anyone has any other input as to what's on it, including the essay, I'm all ears! :)

17. lilkittennikki7

lilkittennikki7 New Member

Apr 13, 2008

Recommendations for the Essay

I am taking the exam this Saturday and I feel somewhat lost on the essay portion of the test and what they are looking for. Is it typically 2 options? A poem and excerpt from a story? I purchased the XAM study guide and the essay prompts are not not all literary works. Any recommendations on how to practice for the essay portion or what type of literary terms I need to understand?

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2008

alrober2: What I did for my first job: applied through the Palm Beach County School District and Indian River County websites, looked at what jobs were open, then drove to the schools I was interested in and dropped off a copy of my resume. Both schools in Indian River interviewed me but ultimately didn't hire me because I had no experience and no educational background. Out of four schools in PBC, only one interviewed me - and ultimately hired me. I didn't go to the job fairs because the state took three months to process my certificate application and send out my Statement of Eligibility. Sigh. My first year of teaching all 7th grade regular English - as the 3rd teacher that year = pure, chaotic, undeniable hell. Next two years were great. Just talk to the other experienced teachers you'll work with - they are an unimaginable wealth of wisdom, lesson plans, and generally soft shoulders for crying on :)

Countdown: two days until exam. Freaking out. Recently moved and cannot locate flash cards.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2008

Well, I took it yesterday and am confident I failed. Out of the twenty people in the exam room, everyone walked out was going "What the...?" One poor woman was taking it for the 6th time. No one I talked to felt they had passed.

Out of 85, there were no questions concerning literary terms or grammar. There were 3 questions concerning juvenile literature (one was about teaching a unit on Florida aquifers). 4 questions on recent studies published regarding middle schools/middle school language arts. The rest were questions on peer work, the best type of assignment for a certain scenario, reading strategies, and a LOT of ESOL questions. All in all, I felt less like I was being tested on my knowledge of English and ability to present it to children as opposed to being tested on Professional abilities, Intensive reading knowledge, and ESOL. I believe there are three other tests for that :)

This essay threw me for a couple of minutes. Two passages, one narrative and one poem, with the following directions: "Choose one. Then respond, in any method, how language and/or literary elements contribute to the overall effect of the passage." I choose the narrative, a selection from Kurt Vonnegut.

My method, an hour later, turned out to be part character analysis and part close reading analysis. A good essay? For an hour time limit and no prior knowledge of the passage, I think so. Organization could have been better, but definitely the stronger aspect of the test.

So... sigh. Sit back and wait to for results in one month. Anyone else take it yesterday?

20. Buckeye2405

Buckeye2405 New Member

Apr 21, 2008

English 6-12

Yes, I also took it Sat. and think I probably bombed it again. I'm sorry but I cannot come up with a well developed essay in one hour. It took me 20 min. just to get started so by then it was rush rush rush and "try" to make sense of what I was writing. What Ever! I felt like I was taking the Professional test(which I passed) all over again with the multiple choice questions.

Any one take the elementary(k-6) or middle integrated(5-9) tests? You may want to take one of those to cover your English unless you are teaching 10-12.

21. bamagata

bamagata Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

My first post, as you can see. I took the test Saturday as well and really have no feel for whether or not I passed. I must say it was very helpful to read these forums and access some of the reference sites in my preparation. Thanks to all who contributed. As a career changer, I'm rusty on any type of standardized test and found the teaching theory and methodology the most difficult. I put the suggestions in this thread to very good use! I would advise future testers to talk to some teachers about the theory/methodology issues and read the questions very carefully...then it's a lot of common sense. Read this entire thread too. It WILL help you. Thanks for this site and I'll let you know how it all ends up!

22. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 22, 2008

I passed the middle integrated exam. I also took the MTEL for English, which is supposedly more difficult than the FTCE, and I felt like I failed it. I came very close to canceling my scores, but it turned out that I not only passed, I did very well. So, you just never know.

23. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Recent English test

I took the FTCE English 6-12 test and think I did OK, actually. Which kind of scares me because that means either I studied enough and knew what I was doing OR I'm completely in the dark. When I took the sample tests in the XAM and the State book, I thought I did well too... until I checked my answers. I have to say I was surprised that the test doesn't consist of a more English oriented focus (literature, terms etc.) so they know you know the subject. It seems the test is more geared at what's the best way to teach it to a group. I would think that the Professional and General Knowledge would cover that more. Either way, it is what it is. I keep my fingers crossed that I pass so I can secure a position somewhere within the county for the fall, that's the goal! I'm scheduled to take the GK test in July! Bring it on! :)

24. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 17, 2008

Help

Hi Frodolass!

Congratulations to you for passing the test. Did you take the 6-12 exam too? How difficult was the 5-9 SAE? Any advice, pointers? I will take the 6-12 in July. I need to pass this test on the first try, especially with the budget cuts , etc.
    Thanks!
    tryingtoteachinfl.

25. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 17, 2008

How did you do? Good I hope! How difficult is the Eng test and did you have the essay first?

Thanks,
    tryingtoteachinfl.

26. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 19, 2008

Is the test as difficult as some people make it out to be?

27. bamagata

bamagata Rookie

May 19, 2008

Just got my on-line results from the 4/19 exam and I PASSED! Good luck to everyone else who has been waiting this out for a month!

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 19, 2008

Got my results just now and I PASSED! I can't believe I did - seriously, it must not have been by much. Congratulations to bamagata and good luck to everyone else out there waiting!

29. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

May 19, 2008

I Passed also!!!! I can not believe it. I was absolutely sure that I had failed the test. I didn't even complete the essay...I ran out of time. I felt like I had to guess on a lot of the questions. I am complelely dumbfounded and shocked....but greatly relieved! Congratulations to bamagata and chebrutta on passing. I am sooooo happy!!!!! :)

Good luck to those studying for this test.

30. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

May 19, 2008

I just saw online that coming soon the ENTIRE test will be computer based. No more waiting 30 days to get your results...

31. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Rookie

May 20, 2008

I passed too!

I checked on line yesterday during my lunch and I found out I passed too! Oh what a relief! I'm scheduled to take the General Knowledge in July... bring it on! Congrats to everyone!

32. lilkittennikki7

lilkittennikki7 New Member

May 20, 2008

I passed too! Isn't it such a relief??? :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2008

Well done, you lot.

34. christinakent

christinakent Rookie

May 20, 2008

Wow

So I've been using this site for a while, but was too afraid to post until passing the test!

I found out today that I passed. It was really difficult to wait the entire month to know my score, especially because I wasn't sure how well I did.

I would say the teaching theory and technique questions are the most confusing.

Anyway, good luck to all who are taking this test and to all those who have already passed it...;)

35. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 21, 2008

need to pass the FTCE English 6-12

What did you do to prepare for the theory and technique questions?:help: I signed up for the test to take in July.

Thanks!

36. bamagata

bamagata Rookie

May 21, 2008

That's the hardest part to study for, especially those of us who are non-education majors. I read this thread completely. I chose answers that stressed group activities/teaching and always assumed model students and $$ not an object. If I had not passed I was prepared to get some tutoring from a local AP English teacher on the teaching methodology. Hope that helps. I also reviewed a freshman level introductory to education text which helped a little.
    Good luck!
    Tom

37. christinakent

christinakent Rookie

May 22, 2008

I second that. That's pretty much what I did. Regardless, there are going to be questions on the test that will leave you clueless. For instance, the ones that ask you how you would respond to a student's writing sample. Those are tough because all four answers somehow seem correct... but a few of them will sound too nice and a few will sound harsh. I just picked the one that was the most middle-of-the-road type of feedback you might provide a student....

38. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 22, 2008

Thank you SO much for the advice! I really need to pass this test on the first try! I will pay close attention to these threads because you guys have been there! Good luck to all! :2up: for the ones who have already passed, kudos to you!:2up:

39. tryingtoteachfl

tryingtoteachfl Rookie

May 22, 2008

Thank you SO much !!! I really appreciate this!
    Wish me luck!!:p

40. da_dizzy

da_dizzy New Member

Jun 11, 2008

I just took the test last weekend