FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2008

So reserve a tiny slice of your mind to attend to what this process is like for you - what it feels like, what gets you stuck, what it takes to get you unstuck... because this is what your future students will be going through.

These tests are generally less about what you know than about what you can do with what you know. If you're good on the terminology and if you're not afraid to problem-solve outside of areas in which you're specifically competent, you'll do fine.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2008

Oh, and I forgot to welcome you to A to Z! (Tch on me.)

3. lizmurc

lizmurc New Member

Jan 13, 2008

SAE English 6-12

Hi all, this is the first time I've posted on this site. I have however been viewing for the past few months for hints on what to study. I took the FTCE English 6-12 yesterday and I'm glad it's over with. I tried to study but it was just so much information. I bought the XAM study guide which helped somewhat. But I also checked out the sites mentioned here concerning literature, grammer etc. which were very helpful. Thank you all for your help and pray that I pass this exam.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, lizmurc. Breathe, please.

5. lizmurc

lizmurc New Member

Jan 13, 2008

Thanks TeacherGroupie. I'll let you know when my scores come in. Hopefully with a PASS

6. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Jan 15, 2008

Took it on the 12th as well

I am an ESE pre-service teacher who took the exam over the weekend, got the test guide and everything, not entirely sure if I passed the exam though.
    The essay portion wasn't too bad, the multiple choice questions were quite random though. :( Not sure how I did. Hopefully I passed...if not I will register again I suppose...

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2008

In the meantime, ecteacher, please go have some chocolate or whatever works that way for you.

8. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Jan 15, 2008

Thank you :) I will let you know how I did, I think the results come out Feb. 11th.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2008

Oh boy. I just read through the last 16 pages. Now I'm really scared.

I have my BA in English and I taught middle school for two years and high school for one. Downloaded the study guide for the 5-9 test and freaked out. Literally, all of the questions dealing with "What would you do in class?" I got wrong - and the correct answers are all things that would never work in my classroom!

I'm so confused about what will actually be on the test - I'm ok on my middle school reading inventory, having done Reading Counts in the classroom - but isn't there any decent test prep guide for English out there? For example, one of the prep questions says that I should use Hispanic American poetry that incorporates Spanish into the poem to help non-English speakers. Great. But I already have enough trouble keeping my non-Spanish students from writing in Spanish in their essays (they learn Spanish in 8th grade at my middle school). (me: "This is English class." kids: "But Spanish is fun!" me: "Great. It's still English class.")

GROWL.

10. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Jan 23, 2008

There are test guides on Amazon.com, but I have no idea if they are helpful. The guide I downloaded from the FTCE Web site really wasn't too helpful, the questions were totally random. I wish I had better advice for you. :( My plan: if I failed it this time, I am just going to keep taking it until I pass. I feel like no plan exists that would definitively help me with the multiple choice questions.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2008

12. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Jan 23, 2008

I definitely noticed that on the exam, it was assumed that the students were all perfectly behaved and would actually work cooperatively. It seemed like the complete opposite end from the FTCE ESE K-12 exam, which asks for specific strategies about behavior issues, problems with cooperation, students with specific needs, etc. It was interesting to see the differences between the exams...

13. lizmurc

lizmurc New Member

Jan 23, 2008

I used a text called XAM. This was the only book I could find in any bookstore that would help with the test prep. IThe book offers questions and directs you to a particular section in the book where you can find the answer. When I go to the section listed, it still does not explain what is said in the question. The book was both confusing and expensive.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008

Thanks for the links, TeacherGroupie. Those will definitely help out. I bought the REA test prep for the professional exam; they make one for math and social science, but not English. Guess I'll have to wing it on the classroom situational questions. Perfect classroom. In my dreams!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2008

Chances are pretty good that a candidate can answer the classroom situational questions with a combination of good subject area knowledge and awareness of GENERAL good classroom practice. As you go through the math and social science books, think about how you'd translate the teacherly insights for use in an English classroom.

16. Quillaine

Quillaine Rookie

Feb 1, 2008

Yes ... Cliff's Test Prep - CSET: English. I purchased it online, but it took forever to get here, and I've already taken the test.

17. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

I PASSED I PASSED I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sorry for the all caps, but I cannot believe it!

Much love and happiness to everyone! :wub:

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2008

Good show, ecteacher! Celebrate your accomplishment, please.

19. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

Thank you! :)

20. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Feb 14, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas of a poem or two I can get my 6th graders to memorize? Something short yet meaningful. We touched on poetry terms last semester, but I'd like them to memorize a poem (which would give them a break from the weekly spelling/vocab quizzes they do).

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2008

eager2teach, I think you might get more responses if you post this in a forum that isn't about teacher tests.

22. Buckeye2405

Buckeye2405 New Member

Feb 27, 2008

Test Anxiety Help

I took the Test back in Oct. and failed. I've been putting off retaking b/c I'm scared! I've been reviewing but I'm still not feeling too confident yet, especially for the essay. I take it Sat. 03-01. Any heart felt advice?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 27, 2008

Make sure you're on top of the technical terms of the field and that you use them: look at the constructed response in particular as a chance to show a trusted colleague how you'd teach the material and what you'd have your students looking for.

What are you using to study?

24. lilkittennikki7

lilkittennikki7 New Member

Feb 29, 2008

Hi! I'm new here and thankful to have found this website. I plan on taking the exam on April 19 and trying to gather study materials together. Any recommendations? I am a little freaked out because I am not the greatest test taker and hope to teach high school English next year.
    I bought the XAM Study Guide because it was the only thing I could seem to find and it has received horrible reviews. Does anyone have any feedback on if the book is even worth studying?
    Thanks!

25. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

Some advice, hope it helps a little...

I bought the state's guide online from the FTCE Web site; to be honest that guide isn't fantastic either, but it does give a realistic breakdown on what to expect (i.e. the different questions on the exam). If you took any literature or composition classes in college, try to review any essays on literary analysis, that might help with preparing for the essay portion, and try to complete the questions in the FTCE preparation booklet. I would suggest even writing a practice essay, or looking at literary analysis essays online. These will give you some starting points and maybe some ideas.
    Not trying to be negative, but in my opinion the multiple choice questions about teaching methodologies, etc., were extremely random. I guessed at a lot of them, some of the "correct" answers were things I personally would not do in a classroom. I am an ESE major, so the English 6 - 12 exam was certainly different than what I have seen before. But I am living proof that it can be passed! :) Hope this helps a little!

26. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

help

I am currently scheduled to take the FTCE 6-12 English test on April 19th. I definitely get nervous with exams and this one that has so much pressure is even worse. I would say my strength is writing. On the essay are they asking you to apply the poem to how you would teach it to students, or the meaning of the poem, etc?

Currently I am a May 2008 graduate at USF and I am taking this exam to get a temporary certificate, which I will later take the rest of the necessary exams once I have a temporary certificate.

I am confused with so many levels of the testing and application process. I originally bought the online version of the Middle Grades 5-9 English; do you think this is also valid for the 6-12 English exam? Every time I go to my English advisors they say to ask an Education advisor and they will only talk to me about graduate school not about what I need to do to become a teacher when I am not an education major. Geesh.

I know someone who took the history subject area and he said that some of the exam questions were exactly from the online test through the state. I really want to pass the first time, time will tell.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2008

It's typically the case that tests like these are less about how you'd teach the material than what you know.

Chances are the Middle Grades 5-9 English doesn't cover some ground that the 6-12 English does cover. You might want to look at the Competencies for English 6-12 and also at the state content standards for English in grades 9-12; it's fairly typical that tests like these are aligned to the standards of the states in which they're given.

28. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

I wanted to share with you what I found out when calling the Florida Department of Education. Last night I applied for a temporary certificate which is valid for 3 years. Next I signed up for the Subject Area Test 6-12 and the Professional Ed Test. When reading about the temporary certificate and how to obtain one I had some questions so I called today to make sure I understood everything correctly and thought I would pass along the info.

I was told that once I graduate in May I ask for a transcript to be sent to them or I send it myself. Then based on my English degree and my transcript I may not have to take the English Subject Area test since I have a B.A. in English. I was also told that you have so much time once you have your temporary certificate and are employed with a school to take the GKT and Professional Ed Test.

Anyway that really takes a load off of my stress level. I may take the tests as planned since it can't hurt but to know that if I don't pass it right away I can retake it and it won’t ruin my chances of teaching for the 2008-2009 school year.

Does anyone know if the other members who were not education majors got jobs teaching English? I wonder if it is hard to get a job teaching English when you have a degree in English opposed to education. If anyone knows, share the info…Thanks

29. Buckeye2405

Buckeye2405 New Member

Mar 5, 2008

Obtaining a teaching position

I am not an education major and I am currently on my second year of teaching on my temp. cert. w/ my BA in English. It took me 2 long, hard years to obtain my first position, but I finally got one. I believe the only way I got my job was from going to the teacher interview day. I'm not sure if every county in FL. has one or not, but Hillsborough county does. You'll have to look into where ever you live. My advice to you is persistance and determination. Show up to the schools you're interested in with your resume and cover letter in hand and ask to speak to the Principal or their secretary. If I can help in any other way let me know. God Luck! I still have to pass my 6-12:-(

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2008

Buckeye, did you take FTCE English 6-12 on Saturday? How are you feeling about it?

31. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

I was told that since I had my B.A. in English that I would not be required to take the FTCE 6-12 English test, is that not accurate? I am in the process of signing up for the interview day in Hillsborough County. I actually just cancelled my registration for the 6-12 English test since I did not feel that I had to take it. How long have you been teaching and how long do you have to take the FTCE English?

Thanks for all your help, I am sure I will have tons of questions.

32. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

P.S. I see that you have been teaching for two years. I get so much conflicting information on what tests I need to take and when. Geesh. I was told by my son's principal that since they changed to block scheduling there are not as many English teaching jobs and that a good way to get my foot in the door would be to take the K-6 subject area test and teach there first.

How many schools did you sign up for on the interview day, what types of questions did they ask, and how long after you interviewed did it take to find out you received the position? Do you teach high school or middle school...Do you enjoy the position?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice :)

33. teacherinneed

teacherinneed New Member

Mar 12, 2008

Hello everyone! I am new to the website and new to teaching. I will be taking the FTCE English 6-12 SAE on April 19. I am greatful for the information posted on this website. I am not going to purchase the XAM book to study from because of the horrible reviews, but I was wondering if anyone has ever used
    FTCE English 6-12 Secrets Study Guide published by Morrison Media,LLC? Its the only other book that I can find. Please let me know. Thanks

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2008

teacherinneed, are you an English major? Have you got English-major friends, or access to a university bookstore?

35. teacherinneed

teacherinneed New Member

Mar 13, 2008

TeacherGroupie, I do not have any English major friends, but I do have access to a university bookstore. My degree is in Business Admin so I am totally in a different league here!!!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

teacherinneed, instead of reminding yourself how far behind the curve you are, try thinking in terms of how to leverage the tools you've got. Think of a poem as a kind of marketing piece: the poet is selling the reader a viewpoint. Part of literary analysis is identifying the viewpoint and coming up with evidence to support that identification. And as you review the technical terms of literature and writing, look for analogues to them in what you're familiar with.

37. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

In Over My Head

I am taking my SAE in 6-12 English on April 19th. I am really nervous since I graduated from college in 1999 with a degree in Journalism concentrating in Advertising/Public Relations. I have never even heard of some of the terms that Elmer has on the study guides. I feel like I'm in over my head as a career changer. I know that I can take the test again but I really want to start teaching in the fall. I have extra pressure since we are selling the family business and my husband and I both have to find new jobs. Sorry to whine, but I am just so stressed out! :)

Thank you to Elmer and TeacherGroupie for the fantastic advice and suggestions!

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2008

You might want to look those terms up on Answers.com, MaddieMommy - there are some good explanations.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2008

alrober2 - you still have to take the FTCE 6-12. I'm in the same boat - I taught for 3 years under a Temp Cert., but I still had to take the GKT, Professional, and English, even with a BA in English. My biggest problem is that the state has required additional classes for me - 17 credits total - but in the three years I taught, no Florida college offered the classes I needed at a time I could take them (they wouldn't accept any online classes or correspondence classes as I found them, either). So I've had a whole year off from teaching and what do you know - I'm still one class short. So I start over on a Temp. come July. Taking the 5-9 test on 4/19. Realized high school = not for me :)

40. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

chebrutta:

When you were hired had you taken the English Subtest yet? I think I am going to end up missing the April 19th date and that leaves the July test. I am wondering if I still can get hired and then take the test.

thanks