FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

1) They listed 4 words and asked something like which word represents historical, networking, geographical, economical, technological borrowing. I, like the Jamaica poster, have no clue what that was about.

I think that is the problem - neither I nor Jamaica80 knows and we are looking for help. If anyone knows please reply.

2. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

3. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

So what's Prohibition? Yes, with a capital P. Under which of those categories does it fit?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Now, now, multi007; to paraphrase the old saying, I can feed you answers, or I can help you fish for answers. Which do you think will feed you for life?

You got a good start on this by finding three possible answers from the Web site, and by correctly eliminating prewriting, rough draft, and publishing. (Hint, by the way: See if you can find the stages of the writing process in the state content standards or in the Competencies document for this exam, if it's still available online. There's likely to be a closer match.)

Consider features of the question: students reading together; students revising. Note that, for rereading, the Web site doesn't specify that students are reading aloud to each other: in fact, this rereading can be done quite alone, because the point is to get the writer hearing her own work so she can identify hitches and glitches in the flow of the words. So that's not a good choice. Note also that the Web site stages distinguish between revising, which is focused on making the work comprehensible, and editing, which is concerned with mechanics and spelling - and that the words review and revision come from the same Latin root. Go with the answer that contains both the "together" element and the "revise" element: that would be peer review.

Now a multiple choice question could have given you those three choices, all of which clearly have something to do with improving a work that's already on paper. Alternatively, it could give you some choices that refer to subparts of the process: I seem to recall "organization" having been advanced elsewhere as a possibility. That, however, would be a non-starter: organization could be RE-done in the revision process, but it has to be DONE earlier.

6. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Hey Teachergroupie,

I thought you'd get a kick out of that - I liked the "borrowed" phrase from the Bible - which by the way would fall under the "religious borrowing" section - lol. (Just in case there is any misinterpretation - which can always happen in forum postings, I was smiling while typing "wow you're normally on the ball" - I meant no ill will. I know its hard to tell when looking at it, but this should clear it up.) Anyway...

Regards to my question, I guess Im trying too hard - or reading too much into the question? Because when you explain it, I get it. "Peer revision". But when looking at it on the test, im starting to think "they are trying to trick me - this is a trick question". But...

To answer your question "Prohibition" - I would say "historical" because it happened back in a historical point of time in the USA.

But I COULD see how it could be "political" because in politics is where prohibition got it start.

This is where I start to think - "They are trying to trick me!" ARGHH!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Um, "political" was not one of the options you gave, multi007... Think of the task as a sort of triangulation: use the word you know best to narrow down the field of possibilities, then use the remaining words to nail it. "Tin Lizzie", the nickname for the Model T Ford could possibly be a technological neologism, but "Prohibition" isn't technological, so that doesn't work. (See http://www.answers.com/topic/model-t-ford, which also gives some idea just how big a deal the Model T Ford really was.) The Lindy or Lindy Hop is a dance that originated in the 1920s.

8. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Development of language

These types of questions are looking at your understanding of how the language develops. Where do new words come from? Technically, prohibition means one thing, but historically in America, it means a very specific thing.

I'd recommend getting the study guide from DOE's web site. Take it, see how you do on the multiple choice and talk to teachers in the field who can help you understand the logic behind the questions you missed. I had a hard time knowing where to start looking for the thoery behind the question, so I asked around and got a good start.

If you aren't sure your essay was passing, and if you haven't written a lot of lit analysis papers, get a book, talk to someone about technique and practice. Pull poems and brief selections from your ATE or an old textbook and practice writing essays in 45 minutes. Look up literary analysis methods (reader response, deconstruction, feminist, etc.) and pick one that seems to really click with you. Use that method of analysis every time you write your practice essays. Reader response is very flexible and user-friendly (which represents technological borrowing;)). Also have someone who teaches senior english or has experience in literary criticism to look at your essay and see what areas, if any, need improvement.

Good luck!

9. RayJazz19

RayJazz19 New Member

Sep 18, 2007

Hello, Everyone!

I'm currently a senior English major, enrolled at the University of North Florida. After receiving my diploma, I plan on living abroad (in Ukraine) for the period of a year, and then I hope to return and teach. I've read conflicting information about the Subject Area Test. I've read that if you have a degree in the area that you don't have to take the test, whereas other sources note that everyone needs to take the Subject Area Exam in order to be eligible for a temporary certificate. Anyone know the truth of the matter?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2007

I'm on the wrong coast to be an insider, but you might try checking the Florida Dept. of Education Web site, which undoubtedly has something to say about how teachers can be NCLB-compliant.

11. JRL225

JRL225 New Member

Sep 25, 2007

TeacherGroupie, will you tutor me? I am taking the exam on Nov.3 and I am very overwhelmed. Please let know, I could use your expertise.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

Send me a private message, please: click on my name in blue at the beginning of this post: this action will bring up options one of which should be to send me a private message. If that option doesn't come up, roam among the threads and make a few more posts, then try the private message again. You could also use the Forum Jump tool (below right) to go to the User Control Panel and make sure that you're set to receive private messages.

What are your primary areas of concern?

13. JRL225

JRL225 New Member

Sep 25, 2007

help

TeacherGroupie,

I am unable to do private messaging for some reason. I have a B.A. in English but my area of concern is my difficulty with testing. I seem to understand the content but the answers always seem to trick me. I can give you my personal email if you would like?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

Ah, now you can RECEIVE private messages. Hang on...

15. capsrv

capsrv New Member

Oct 17, 2007

Hello, I am trying to prepare for the Business CSET in California. Is there any help available out there? I have been looking and cannot find anything. Please help! However, I did find this site that might be able to help me.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2007

On a thread for an examination in English, I doubt there will be much help, capsrv. If you search the Single Subject Tests forum for "CSET Business", however, you'll find a number of posts. And just today UBTeaching posted on the "Test Scores from 9-15" thread to report having passed CSET Business, so that might be a good person for you to chat up.

17. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I am going through a sort of mental panicking right now. These past 2 weeks have been getting worse and worse. I took the SAE on 10/13/07 and I am waiting patiently for the results. But I am starting to get REALLY nervous. I took the test 7 months ago and got a 197. I bought a rather complex testing packet on the net from a Miami, FL testing company that offers test guides for each SAE in FL. I studied it cover to cover and I hope I improved, but honestly I am panicking.

I already teach and I have until 6/09 to pass my Eng 6-12 SAE. I took all of my other exams and passed without even studying, but this one for some reason is causing me the most anxiety I have ever had in my life - more so than getting married or taking a final exam in college. I know what's happening... I am teaching now. I have a full time contract position - and I am loved in my school by everyone including admin. So my fear is - Oh no, what if I dont pass by 6/09? I'll get fired. Oh My God!

I dont know if anyone can relate, but goodness this is causing many sleepness nights - pure panic.

I think I did better than I did the first time, I had to rush my conclusion for the written essay because I spent too much time organizing, and a few questions like "what assessment would you use to measure reading fluency". no clue. Im an English teacher, not a reading teacher.

Ive got to go eat chocolate cake - by myself. ARGH !!!! SO FRUSTRATING

18. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007

well i didnt pass. will study more for next time.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2007

Oh, multi, I'm sorry: here's a hug and some virtual chocolate. How close did you come?

20. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Nov 13, 2007

I did not pass the freaking test....I give up..............Got the pass/fail results online.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2007

My sympathies, MissJamaica80. How close did you come?

22. MtotheC

MtotheC Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

yuck, I'm sorry, Miss. The only advice I can give is to choose the stuff that seems to have anything remotely to do with groups.

23. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

Hello all, thanks for the support. The test score is not released yet, only the "pass/fail" status. So, now I'm registered to take the test again December 1, 2007. Right now im just going over some things that I know I got wrong and trying to learn about reading assessments. (im not too happy about that though because im a English Language Arts teacher, not a reading teacher). Im was quite angry at the fact that reading assessment questions were even on the test since the Dept of Ed web site did not even mention reading assessments for English 6-12 teachers. By the way, instead of trying to place blame, I will submit and learn more.

Boy, if I knew then what I know now.

Its funny though, I talk to all of my colleges who are astonished and dumfounded at the sample questions I told them and they are all like "My goodness, I am so glad I dont need to take that - boy they put you new teachers through so much. And they say they need teachers, ha!" All I can do is say "oh well".

I can say with 100% certainty that I did not do great on the written essay. I over planned the intro and ran out of time at the conclusion. That was a very odd writing prompt I must say.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2007

Let's not be posting specific actual test questions here, please. See the forum rules.

It's been argued that ALL teachers in grades K-12 are reading teachers. Here's a useful book: How to Teach Reading When You're Not a Reading Teacher, by Sharon H. Faber.

25. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Nov 15, 2007

Oh no! I'm so sorry :(

26. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 16, 2007

Thanks, I have too many books to read for this darn test already. The funny thing is that while re-reading a book that I got for college, I noticed a section that was mentioned on the test. Without posting the actual question, the section was about how to grade group projects. I always thought (and answered) the way to grade group projects was to give a grade for each student based on their own individual work. Whereas the book I'm reading states to grade the group as a whole - no exceptions. Another learning moment for me...

27. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 18, 2007

Does anyone know a place on the net that can help me polish up my essay?

(never mind - based on my score below, i doubt i did poorly on my essay.)

28. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 18, 2007

well i got the official results, 197. (You need 200 to pass). I have been studying all weekend. Some concerns i have are some of the teaching theories, and identifying some works. I have also been looking for other state sample English 6-12 questions and found that Illinois has a good sample test to work off of.

Here's a great site i found that helps with more general info.

http://praxis2.edublogs.org/the-study-guide/

I keep reading in this forum that the xam book is horrible but i also read that it helped some people in a few areas. If there is someone who has the xam book, can you tell me if it addresses teaching strategies? Here is an example of a released question from the IL web book. I would love to see a book that addresses these types of questions.

Which of the following theories of learning emphasizes the roles of background knowledge and context in the reading process? A) behaviorism, B) constructivism, C) nativism, D) cognitivism.

The answer is B.

29. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 24, 2007

If there is someone who has the xam book, can you tell me if it addresses teaching strategies?

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 24, 2007

You may well get farther looking up these strategies online, multi: in fact, a classic technique is to search for all four terms at once and see what comes up; if nothing does, try three terms. Alternatively, look the terms up one by one on Answers.com (http://www.answers.com) - I'm told one can also use Google Scholar.

31. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Nov 25, 2007

I already did that. I was referring to the XAM book wondering if any one in here who owns the book can tell me if that book has more information on teaching strategies - similar to the ones that were deleted in an earlier posting.

But nevermind because I went to a waldenbooks nereby and read the book cover to cover and got what i needed.

32. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Dec 14, 2007

I PASSED I PASSED I PASSED !!!!
    :2up:
    I PASSED I PASSED I PASSED !!!!

I am so EXCITED !!!!! I PASSED !!! I kept on trying - 3rd time was the charm! The good thing is that I kept learning from each test I took. WOOHOO !!!!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2007

Well done, multi007!

34. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Dec 15, 2007

Congratulations multi007! WTG!

35. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Dec 16, 2007

Thank you all.

36. zandalz

zandalz New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Confused

Hi there. I am taking the FTCE English 6-12 Exam on Jan. 12th. I have bought 3 different study guides and I think I am more confused than ever. I have read all of the helpful hints and I am trying to research them, but I am feeling overwhelmed. What if I am not studying the right information?

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2008

A study guide can't spell out all and only what's going to be on the test you'll take on January 12, because teacher tests typically exist in more than one version, and different versions inevitably differ in what they emphasize. Anything that's in all three study guides is a good bet to be on the test. The gold standard, of course, is whatever the test makers tell you - the Competencies document for FTCE English that's available at http://www.fldoe.org/asp/ftce/ftcecomp.asp lays out what's supposed to be in the test, and anything mentioned in there is something you ought to be familiar with.

If the study guides have you grappling with the information and maybe even making mental connections you haven't made before, you're studying well.

38. zandalz

zandalz New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Thank you. I do have the FTCE prep guide as well. I will keep familiarizing myself with the guide. It is just a little overwhelming.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2008

Chunk it up into bits, then, please, zandalz... and imagine that you're helping your favorite kid try to process all of this. You'd be kind and generous, yes?

40. zandalz

zandalz New Member

Jan 2, 2008

I would be kind. I do need to step back and break it down and take a deep breath. I am new to teaching. This has been the most amazing and rewarding career change for me. It has just been a long time since I had to take an exam.