FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. teachfromSC

teachfromSC New Member

Jun 28, 2007

Hi, I'm taking the SAE July 21st and I have been reading this board trying to get an understanding of what I should be studying but it seems no one knows for sure. I'm taking the 6-12 SAE and I'm wondering what I should study and if I should get a study guide. Where do you get the study guides from, and are they helpful? I'm absolutely lost! I need prayer and good thoughts sent my way! Thanks!

2. wannateachbad

wannateachbad New Member

Jun 29, 2007

HELP!!!

I received eligibility to teach Journalism in Dade County but I'm registered to take the English 6-12 SAE. I'm scared!! I have never taught anything and I can't find a decent study guide to save my life. I too need prayer and good thoughts sent my way because I have no idea what I can do between now and 7/21/07 to ensure I pass this exam. :eek: :( :confused: :eek:

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

My understanding is that FTCE English 6-12 SAE is not about teaching, but rather about the content. That being the case, if you page through the threads on English in this forum, you should find some help. You can use the Competencies document for the test (on the FLDOE Web site, and I'm sorry I don't have the link handy) to guide what you should and shouldn't be looking at (for example, if Florida offers a Drama certification that's distinct from English, you probably need only concern yourself with the literary issues raised by plays rather than staging and the like).

Chances are you could do with brushing up on literary terms and techniques; for that, the files in the "Elmer's English Resources" thread and in the appropriate "Useful Web resources" thread might be helpful.

Many people find that the act of producing their own study guide does them a great deal of good in dealing with the material.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

Aha: you found 'em.

Are you breathing yet, I hope?

5. wannateachbad

wannateachbad New Member

Jun 29, 2007

:wow: :thanks:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

You're welcome. The real point of testing subject matter for teachers is not to establish whether you'll be a good teacher nor even to wash out people who don't know enough: it's to get people reviewing and understanding the material.

7. ElemEdAmy

ElemEdAmy New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I took the English SAE today (7/21) would love to discuss the essay and questions. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks to all of you who posted all of your opinions and information. All of it was extremely useful.

8. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I too took the FTCE English 6-12 Exam this morning and I have to say that it was a very unfair exam. I say this for 2 reasons:

1. The FTCE Study Guide issued by the state was a complete joke. It gives us the Major Topics we should know about, but no other information. No website, no books, no study guides related to these Major Topics. For example, we should know the Major Periods and Authors of British, American and World Literature and their substantive works.

Do you know how many periods, books and authors there are since writing began?

2. Even if you did know some of the works by these Major authors, on the exam they ask you a question similar to this...

Joe Shmoe, lived in Rhodesia among a tribe of Mandingos. What is the title of the book he wrote? And then they list 4 titles for us to guess one.

My questions for this question were, Who the hell was Joe Shmoe for him to be included as a great author??? And if you don't know who Joe Shmoe was or what he wrote, how the hell can you know which of the titles to choose from???

Questions such as these were very unfair? Now had they asked for a book by Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemmingway, the Bronte sisters, or the father of English Literature, Geoffrey Chaucer, I wouldn't have had a problem... But who the hell was Joe Shmoe to be included amongst authors such as these??? And for those of us who took the exam, you know the question I'm referring to...

Another unfair question was one similar to this example... Who from the list below was the most prominent Russian writer?... Then the choices given were 4 GIANTS of Russian literature... My point for this type of question is that it was hard to eliminate any one of the 4 giants... I would have liked to have seen them ask the question this way instead for example... Which of the following 4 Russian authors
    won a Nobel Prize for litearture...

I studied very hard for this test and nothing that I studied... Or very, very little was reflected on this exam...

As for the Essay... I didn't have any problems other than I ran out of time and didn't write a concluding paragraph... But that was my fault, and not necessarily one related to time constraints. Although, in retrospect, I wish I had a little more time for the essay...

Those are just some of my thoughts...

Again, I think it was an unfair exam and the only hope I have that I may pass is that God is currently penciling the correct answers on my bubble sheet :D

This exam truly was as the title of this thread suggests... A CONSPIRACY!!!! :eek:

9. ElemEdAmy

ElemEdAmy New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I couldn't agree more. I just finished explaining the Joe Schmoe question to my husband. Fortunately, I am elem. ed. certified and nothing is riding on these results. I feel terrible for the people whose livelihood depend on their scores.

Is there a way to check on line for the test results or do we have to wait for the scores to come through the mail?

Advice to any who are going to take the the test.....For the teaching theory questions be sure to double check what part of the lesson they are asking about....is it before the lesson, to assess the lesson, or to present the lesson. Two of the answers will sound great, but the key word in the question will definitely set the right answer apart form the other.

As far as the essay, the directions were worded exactly like the prep pamphlet(for lack of a better description). I found the AP lit guides helpful in preparing for this test. I also read How to read Lit like a Professor by Thomas Foster. It refreshed my memory on title, authors, and devices. It was also a great read.

10. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I think you can check for your results online in about 2 or 3 weeks at the following site:

www(dot)cefe(dot)usf(dot)edu

Sorry about the "dots" but it won't make me post a link unless I have been a member for longer...

I still can't get over how HARD and UNFAIR my English 6-12 Exam was... I still have a raging headache and I'm very depressed...

The only positive I can see out of this is that throughout this thread, it seems as if everyone who took the exam on previous dates came out feeling as if they failed and ultimately passed...

I hope I'm just as lucky.

11. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Another typical question from this asolutely ludicrous English 6-12 Exam...

Joe wrote a book about a boy who was imprisoned. What was the name of the youth? Was it Tom, ****, or Harry...

Personally, I don't even know why they stopped there because they might just as well have added Curly, Larry or Moe as far as I'm concerned.

12. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Thank you Lord...

For those of you who just joined in, I previously thought that the only way I would pass was if God started to pencil in the right answers for me after the test because I thought that I had failed miserably...

Well, it looks like He did...

I PASSED!!!... I PASSED!!!... I can't believe I PASSED!!!:2up:

Or should I say, "I can't believe He passed it for me"...:eek:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2007

Congratulations, ZEE!

I have said before and I will say again: Nobody passes these tests sheerly by luck. Or sheerly by divine intervention, good though that is. Clearly you possess the knowledge base to get right answers to enough questions to make the test makers happy.

14. MtotheC

MtotheC Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I ended up passing too, and now I'm sub-ing at an elementary school. No one seemed to want me for their class and then I found out on Friday that my third reference letter didn't get turned in. So now I'm a maternity sub to get me some cash until next year. I'm gonna go as a sub this year and just see where it gets me. For an area with a critical shortage of teachers, they certainly didn't seem desperate to get me in. One place didn't want me because I didn't have a reading endorsement certification, but I can't do it until I'm employed by the district! Whatever, I got a job and am getting great in-class time. Now just to do the general knowledge exam. I've heard it's easier than the subject area exams. Here's hoping so :)

15. ElemEdAmy

ElemEdAmy New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Wahoo!

I passed too! I am very excited that I don't have to sit through that test again. I would love to know my actual scores, but I will set for the PASS.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2007

Very good, melaniemc and ElemEdAmy!

17. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Thanks for the congratulations TeacherGroupie and may I extend my own congratulations to those others who passed that extremely difficult exam...

For those of you taking the September 8th exam, my personal feeling is that you write a STRONG essay... As for the multiple choice questions... Choose the answers that favor GROUP EFFFORTS.

Here is an EXCELLENT site that helps with writing essays and analysing poetry... Click on every highlighted link within the site for invaluable hints...

Good Luck to those of you taking the exam... I'm not lying when I say that it is TOUGH...

www(dot)englishbiz(dot)co(dot)uk/mainguides/poetrythesis.htm

Sorry about the enclosed (dots), but I can't paste links as I don't have enough posts yet...

Maybe TeacherGroupie can help out in this regard...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2007

19. anxious2teach07

anxious2teach07 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Congrats Zee..:up:
    Beside the website you posted what other tips do you have ..what else did you study from?
    your help is apprciated
    Have a great day

20. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I'm going to be brutally honest here... This exam is very hard and I can't remember much about the exam questions... In fact, I'm sure if I took the exact exam again, I'd come away feeling that I failed again and probably would pencil in different answers to those that I previously made.

What I do remember is this... There are grammar correction questions which were not too difficult except for the fact that the majority of them took quite long to read... By this I mean that the question was about a paragraph long and all 4 answers were paragraphs as well... There are 85 questions to do in 90 minutes, so that is approximately 1 minute per question, so you have to read and answer quickly... As it relates to grammar, I wouldn't worry too much about that section...

Regarding authors and their works... This was a complete joke... You will have to guess a lot here as there may be one or two questions by really famous authors (Chaucer, Dickens, Twain, Hemmingway, Tolstoy, Hugo, Dumas, etc.), but the majority of questions in this category were about authors and their works that I've never heard about, much less read... These were total crap shoots...

As it relates to teaching methods... As I said before, anything that related to group efforts, pairing students or co-operative efforts were my choices... I eliminated answers that had DIRECTIVES... Like "MAKE, TELL, INSTRUCT, DEMAND, GIVE the students... etc."

The Essay section... The website I gave above helped me a lot with analysing the poem quickly... I was deathly afraid of poetry but that site made it so easy for me figure it out and to write on the selection I was given... That site is very good and the highlighted terms in "blue" give a lot of helpful tips and advice...

Sorry, but I don't have a specific site other than the one I gave above that can help you with the exam... However, the thread that is titled Elmer's Resources (or something like that) might help...

21. anxious2teach07

anxious2teach07 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks alot that helped..I really appreciate it.
    Have a great day!

22. ZEE

ZEE Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

23. anxious2teach07

anxious2teach07 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks Zee, I just finished registering...My test is
    October 13th..with all the help you guys have given me I should do great..
    Thanks..

24. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I have not passed the test. Taken July 21. This is crazy because I studied so hard. The XAM Online book is a piece of crap. Waste of money. Is there anything out there that can help me pass. I scored a 185. Does anyone know how the scores work. I mean they say essay is worth 30%. You do not know if you scored bad on the essay or what. I need HELP ASAP!!!!I also registered for October test

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2007

It could be that some of the resources mentioned here will help you - please look not only in threads that are specific to FTCE, but also at threads and posts that reference other states' tests, because there will be common strands in what's being tested.

26. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks. I am just up to my wits with that test. At least i see improvement. I took it a year ago and scored in the 160's and now 185. The thing is paying the 25.00 registration and my time is being consumed.

27. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I mean there were questions about stuff like social, geographical, economical, technological borrowing., I have never heard of such terms

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2007

Okay, let's play with those terms. With respect to language, what sorts of things do you think likely to be borrowed?

29. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

To be exact I think the question was "What type of infkuence on language is illustrated by the terms tin lizzie, lindy and prohibition? (i do not remember) and the choices were a. geographical b. historical c. personal and d. social?

I think I chose a. but a friend of mine say b. because the terms are from the past.

Not an Education major here. Psych major and Masters in Business.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2007

Oddly phrased question.

The trick to this sort of thing is to figure out what it is that the terms have in common. Of the answer choices you're given, which one is true of all three terms?

31. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

ANyone here

32. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Hi all,

I was just selected to take a FTCE English 6-12 Pilot test through the CatGlobal computer testing at my local computer center. It appears the state is in the process of coverting a whole host of pen and paper tests to computer based testing. It was 105 questions long with 10 survey/opinion based questions when I was done asking me my thoughts of the test. There were a few questions I simply guessed at and have no clue of the answers. This sounds like good news for those planning to take the test in the future as CatGlobal and the Dept of Education in Florida will allow you to retake the test every 31 days at the computer center, whereas taking it via pen and paper you must wait every 3 months. Of course you still pay each time but now you have more chances and can learn more each time you take the test.

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/pdfs/fl_pilot_test_flyer_070607.pdf

Also, I took the test a few months ago and scored a 197 - 3 DARN PIONTS!!! ARGH !!

Without getting specific, there was a few questions that I simply guessed at.

1) They listed 4 words and asked something like which word represents historical, networking, geographical, economical, technological borrowing. I, like the Jamaica poster, have no clue what that was about.

2) Also, when a class is reading over their paper and making revisions this is called?

Looking for help please. Thanks

Anthony

33. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

I see. It may not be for the English 6-12 on computer since there is an essay section. I wonder if i can register for the pilot

34. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Im sure you can. Although the computer based English 6-12 pilot test I took did not have an essay component, they may be deciding to either exclude that since it is redundant over the General Knowledge Test, or they may end up having the test subjects type their essay on the computer.

PS. If anyone else can offer help with my questions above - it would be very appreciated.

Anthony

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2007

So Florida's going with NES, but computerized. Interesting. But the test preparation materials at http://www.fl.nesinc.com Web site aren't free: that's unlike NES, and I hope it will change.

For paper-based testing, looks like tests are offered seven times a year - that's rather more often than every three months, though of course it's likely that not all tests are offered on all dates. See http://www.fl.nesinc.com/FL_testdates.asp.

The constructed response (written) component of a subject-area test like English 6-12 usually doesn't duplicate the General Knowledge essay task. Writing a formal essay on a set topic as the GK and other states' basic skills tests demand is specifically a test of one's grasp of structure, conventions, and the other tools of formal writing. Subject-area writing, however, is more focused on showing what one knows in the subject area, and there may very well be several responses even in English 6-12 for which an essay in the usual five-paragraph sense would be overkill.

36. WntTTch

WntTTch New Member

Sep 13, 2007

CSET English Subtest II

On subtest II for the English CSET, I am getting killed on the Human Language structures and Grammatical Structures of English sections. Any suggestions? I have to take this test for the third time on Saturday and it's getting down to crunch time.

37. MissJamaica80

MissJamaica80 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

to answer anthony, would this be organizing phase?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2007

What stages do you know of for the writing process? If you can, please list them in order.

39. WntTTch

WntTTch New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Thanks, I'll have a look at those.

40. multi007

multi007 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Wow, Im surprised you didnt know the stages Teachergroupie. You are normally on the ball in these forums. :)

My question was "When a class is reading over their papers together and making revisions, this is called what?

Based on the descriptions below, it could be either:

1 -Reread because students are reading together,
    2 -Share with Peer revisor (although I think the test said 'peer review')
    3 -Editing because they are working together editing their paper.

So using the stages from a web site - here are the stages:

Prewriting. Students generate ideas for writing: brainstorming; reading literature; creating life maps, webs, and story charts; developing word banks; deciding on form, audience, voice, and purpose as well as through teacher motivation.

Rough Draft. Students get their ideas on paper. They write without concern for conventions. Written work does not have to be neat; it is a 'sloppy copy.'

Reread. Students proof their own work by reading aloud and reading for sensibility.

Share with a Peer Revisor. Students share and make suggestions for improvement: asking who, what, when, where, why, and how questions about parts of the story the peer does not understand; looking for better words; and talking about how to make the work better.

Revise. Improve what the narrative says and how it says it: write additions, imagery, and details. Take out unnecessary work. Use peer suggestions to improve. Clarify.

Editing. Work together on editing for mechanics and spelling. Make sure the work is 'goof proof.'

Final Draft. Students produce their final copy to discuss with the teacher and write a final draft.

Publishing. Students publish their written pieces: sending their work to publishers; reading their finished story aloud, making books. This is a time to celebrate!