FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Dica

Dica New Member

Jul 7, 2006

social science exam

i was wondering if you know of books in dealing with subject area certification exam of social science. i have taken the test three time and i need to pass thank you

2. snaregirl

snaregirl New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Newbie!

Hi, I'm totally new to this board. This is a great forum you have here!

I'm taking the English 6-12 SAE in January, but I'm a little stumped on where to begin studying. I know study tactics are different for everyone, but does anyone have any tips on where to begin? I have the study guide from USF, but I think I need some words of encouragement or something. I'm a compulsive worrier and a studyholic!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2006

Have you rummaged through the threads on English single subject exams? Lots of goodies there.

As to encouragement... you're doing well to be proactive and start your studying now. Pat yourself on the back.

And you're more than welcome, as you plow through the material, to pose questions here on A to Z.

4. snaregirl

snaregirl New Member

Sep 18, 2006

Thank you so much, TeacherGroupie! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now, but I'm trying to study at least an hour or two a day. I hope that helps!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2006

Breathe, kiddo, and don't forget your chocolate!

6. snaregirl

snaregirl New Member

Oct 5, 2006

OK, I have found most of the information on the study guide. However, I can't find anything on the influences on language. Can anyone provide me with some good Web links I can ready through? I'm stumped. Thank you to anyone for your help!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2006

Can you be more specific?

8. snaregirl

snaregirl New Member

Oct 6, 2006

The study guide says to identify influences on language such as social, gender, cultural, ethnic and religious.

I think I can identify cultural and gender influences. But I'm not sure if I can figure out how to identify social, ethnic and religious influences.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

Elmer's English resources

It gives me great pleasure to announce that elmer369 has given permission to post her study guide files here on A to Z.

First, CSET_Notes.doc, a file of overall strategies with some terminology.

Then two files relevant to Subtests I and III: English Grammar Notes.doc and Glossary of Literary Terms.doc.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

Now a file for Subtest II, Language_Acquisition.doc, and one for Subtest IV, Glossary_of_Drama_Terms.doc.

There's an Excel file of linguistic terms, but apparently A to Z doesn't like Excel files. Let me see what I can do with that.

Please remember to thank elmer, all.

11. BKIRKER

BKIRKER New Member

Jan 19, 2007

ENGLISH 5-9 SAE

Frodolass,

What is the primary focus of the exam, teaching methods/theory or literature? I hope I don't have to read all the literature because I'm taking 5 EPI classes now and don't have any extra time. Like most people have said, it is very vague what they expect you to know.

Thanks for any info. you can provide!:thanks:

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

The answer is probably "yes", BKIRKER: a teacher of high school English needs to know the teaching methodology AND the canon. That said, let me suggest that you have a peek at the thread of Elmer's English resources here on the Single Subject Tests subforum.

13. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Thanks for the help

Thank you to Elmer... I took the test today for subtests I and II and these documents were of great help. I really appreciate you posting these. Thank you!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

And thank you, Penguin, for PMing me with the fine set of links that I've posted on the Useful Web Sites thread.

15. BKIRKER

BKIRKER New Member

Jan 21, 2007

FTCE ENGLISH 5-9

Thank you Teacher Groupie. I guess I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I can't believe they would expect us to know everything in Elmer's notes. Not in Florida for the FTCE anyway. Maybe the California test is more rigorous.

BKirker

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

Can we make a careful distinction here among levels of knowing? There's know as in 'be able to expound at length on', there's know as in 'the name rings a bell', and there are various levels in between. I'd guess that if you recognize the Really Big Names ("oh, yeah, Canterbury Tales is Chaucer, English, 14th century") and can pick apart a poem or a paragraph well enough to teach a hormonal highschooler to do likewise, you're probably gonna be fine.

From where I sit, the single biggest payoff of studying for a teacher test is learning or relearning the material you'll be teaching.

17. BKIRKER

BKIRKER New Member

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks for the insight, TeacherGroupie. I can tell you've been teaching for a while. All this stuff comes naturally to you.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

If you're simply complimenting my teaching style, BKIRKER, thank you; but if you mean any disparagement of yourself, please take it back.

As to Elmer's materials, use them where they seem to illuminate points brought up by the Competencies document for your FTCE, and don't use them where they don't. It wouldn't be surprising if those materials don't minutely reflect the test you're taking; and if you got out of college in what passes for one piece, or are on track to do so shortly, I expect you've got the mental tools to make the necessary adjustments.

19. BKIRKER

BKIRKER New Member

Jan 22, 2007

FTCE ENGLISH 5-9

" if you got out of college in what passes for one piece, or are on track to do so shortly, I expect you've got the mental tools to make the necessary adjustments."[/QUOTE]

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I wish I could say I just recently got out of college. Actually I'm a 1983 graduate with a Business Admin. degree (mid-life career changer). That adds it's own element of "difficulty" to passing this exam. :eek:

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

Let me clarify: if you got out of college in what passes for one piece, you had to have had the tools then, and having had 'em means that your task is to sharpen 'em, not to acquire 'em for the first time. Career changers often do at least as well as the newbies fresh out of college, so please don't write yourself any failure scripts, okay?

21. skipper

skipper New Member

Feb 24, 2007

I was given the FTCE English 6-12 XAM "study book" I did not feel that that was of much help:( Has anybody actually gone to Tallahasee to review their test after not passing it? Was it worth the drive? How can I know what I did wrong if I get no feedback? Any advice?

22. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

HI there. I just took the English 6-12 exam today, and I have the worst headache from it! lol I couldn't finish writing the essay; I think I took way too much time trying to plan and organize the essay and didn't realize how long I had. I was able to write 3 paragraphs only--I'm really disappointed. I felt that I did well on the multiple choice section, but I don't think I'll pass if my essay receives a poor score. What materials did you use? I bought a book online from XAM called "English 6-12" which I studied religiously for the past 2 months. There is so much information in there which was helpful, but you wouldn't believe the number of run-on sentences, spelling mistakes, and fragments I found in the content. It was ridiculous. I guess what I need to work on the most is the essay writing, and learning how to plan less and write more! Hope you did well. I'm eager for the scores to come in!

23. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Apr 21, 2007

Ironically, I had the exact opposite problem. Somehow I spit out a 5 paragraph in no time, but had barely enough time for the m.c. questions. I thought they were hard. :( The essay was only worth 30%, so if you did well on the m.c. then you will pass for sure!

I'm definitely feeling as though I may not have passed.

*Sigh* ...Hope scores come out soon!! Should be around 2-3 weeks right?

24. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Apr 23, 2007

hi there

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that the essay is only 30% of the exam, even though I'm still wondering if I passed. I heard or read somewhere that the scores will be available online in about 3 weeks, and for sure we get score reports mailed to us 30 days after the exam date. *sigh* I'm debating whether to sign up to take the test again in July, or take the General Knowledge as I had planned. The GK seems really easy...sophomore level reading, English, and math.

25. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Apr 23, 2007

Hmm...I would definitely get the GK Test out of the way. It is definitely not as hard as the subject area exam.
    I had to study up on my math skills though...it had been two years since my last math class! :eek:

26. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

May 19, 2007

I passed!

My mom called me at work to tell me that I got a letter from USF, and I told her to open it, which revealed that I passed my SAE English 6-12. I'm so glad, because I did NOT want to take that exam again. How did you do? Now my next feat is the GK exam, which seems relatively simple.:)

27. lexiboo254

lexiboo254 New Member

Jun 3, 2007

Help!

Im so happy reading the replies that everyone has written to see that there IS hope. I am taking the ENGLISH 5-9 test on July 21st 2007 and am nervous as I can be. The study guide like so many of you have said is ridiculous and of no help to me whatsoever due to the vagueness so which way shall I go from here guys??? I have well over a month to make something happen so I welcome ALL responses to help me. Thanks. Alexis[/FONT]

28. lexiboo254

lexiboo254 New Member

Jun 3, 2007

Can you give me some pointers on this test as in what do I need to do to pass??? I am taking it 7/21/07...thanks in advance for your insight.

29. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jun 10, 2007

I just took the test (supplemental date) and I wanted to give a word of warning... I bought the XAM test prep guide. Do NOT use that to base your knowledge off of. I was COMPLETELY prepared for the style of test that it gave at the back of the book. However, unfortunately for me, that was NOT the test I just took yesterday. I guess it's okay to brush up on some terminology, it just didn't focus at all on what the brunt of the test was.

I find out if I passed on the 22nd... *fingers crossed*

30. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

a little help

[

I bought the XAM FTCE English 6-12 study guide from which to study. It helped with some of the grammar, literary terms, things of that nature. The questions that are asked on the exam are a little different than what the practice exam has. I used a lot of the advice that I read on this thread, however. Choosing answers that benefit the student rather than the teacher, answers that emphasize group work/collaborative learning, and eliminating 2 of the wrong answers were some of the strategies I gleaned from this site. The essay was the hardest for me, and I wasn't able to finish on time, but what I wrote must have been well-written enough to allow me to pass that section. I found the multiple choice to be easier than the essay (even though several people beg to differ). That's as much advice as I can give. Read the XAM book through a few times, and you should be set (just ignore the multiple grammar and spelling errors I found throughout the book). :D

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

Congratulations, eager2teach2007! I'd guess you're generally fairly comfortable taking tests.

32. MtotheC

MtotheC Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

eng. 6-12 ftce

I took the english 6-12 exam on june 9th at UCF, and I'm supposed to be finding out soon too. I didn't realize it was the 22nd. I'm going to the FL Teach-In over in Tampa on that day. Luckily, my husband's coming with me, so he'll be able to check his laptop while we're there. Maybe I can tell the district that I'm meeting. Think having the SAE will help me get a job even if I'm an English major with no previous teaching experience? I'm nervous as hell about this whole exam--even though I think I killed the essay. I accidentally left three questions unanswered.

You know what else, I think two of my three references have already mailed them in before the district has my application. They'll start a file, right? Shoot, I probably should've called, huh? I'm waiting to hand in my application/resume/cover letter on Friday.

33. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jun 22, 2007

I passed!!!!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

Way to go, forbiddenpluto!

35. jaylynn917

jaylynn917 Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

I also passed!!! Yay!! I bought the exam prep from xam for middle grades english 5-9 and also found that it was absolutely NO help. Many of the questions had to do with State of Florida standards for moving up a grade level. There were also quite a few questions on assessments - what assessment would you use to measure reading fluency, etc. I was fairly unfamiliar with most of the listed assessment - possibly because I just moved to Florida and the suggested answers are assessments more commonly used down here. The rest of the questions seemed to be classroom scenarios such as which of the following activities would you use to intro a unit on poetry. Most of the suggestions sounded good so I guessed the answer by eliminating anything regarding lectures or rote memorization - I have to be honest, I thought it was difficult.
    So... all of that being said, my advice for future test takers - don't use the xam study guide unless you want a reminder on some literary devices to write about during the essay portion. Instead, brush up on classroom technique, State of Florida grade requirements, and various reading and writing assessments. I hope that helps :).

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2007

Congratulations, jaylynn917!

37. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Question on Essay portion

I purchased the study guide from the DOE and I have a question about the essay portion of the test. (I am testing on 7/21.)

The study guide essay question is: Using any critical approach, discuss in an essay how the language and/or other elements contribute to the overall effect of the selection. Support your discussion with specific references to the text.

Then you are given a sample poem. Is this representative of what I'll see on the test? My thought on preparing for the essay was to review the major critical approaches that are comfortable for me (so that I'll have a couple of options to choose from depending on the work selected). I feel I'm going to need a strong essay to offset the multiple choice questions I won't know. As a career-changer, some of the education-speak doesn't click right away for me!

I know you can't give specific questions, but it would be helpful for me to know if this is a typical question. I feel equal to analyzing just about anything they can provide in such a limited frame, but don't want to miss something glaring.

Thanks!

Madrone

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

I can't speak specifically to Florida's test, but for a 6-12 English test in any state to lack a task that could be handled like this would surprise me greatly.

39. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I took the English 5-9 SAE (the sample essay in the English 6-12 prep. guide is the same as the one in the English 5-9 guide), and I'd say that it was a good representation of what you can expect. I was given a choice between a piece of prose and a poem. The actual poem I chose to critique was more contemporary than the one in the prep. guide. I think reviewing the major critical approaches is a good idea. Of course I don't know how well I did on the essay because we are not given scores, but I did pass the SAE. Good luck!

40. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Thank you.

Thank you both for such quick responses. Congratualtions, also, Frodolass, on passing! This test has me a little scattered because it has been so long since I've thought about some of this material. From the sample test, which was . . . underwhelming, I seem to be doing fairly well. There are also a couple of on-line prep tests (very short) which I passed mid-C range or better. We'll see. Luckily I have two more years to try again if I don't pass this time.

Thank you, again. This board is a great resource.

~M.